1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Feedback on Buy and Sell changes?

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The Buy and Sell board has had two significant changes recently:

1) No replies are allowed now - the idea was to cut down on off topic chatter, price policing, friend bumping, etc

2) There are now templates for posting - the idea being to remind people to include relevant info

You may notice that a few of the posts don't use the templates - this is because those posters used our mobile app to post from an iOS or Android device. I'm working on addressing that loophole.

How are the changes working out? Overall better marketplace? Worse?

2. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I think it's an improvement on both counts.

3. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    +1. And thanks for moving the description closer to the top. Makes it a lot faster to get to the details.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I like the changes. Helpful to see where it is and where it ships before getting all excited!:biggrin:

5. makoti

makoti Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Virginia
    The template seems to be working & is easy to follow, but personally, I miss knowing if someone else has pm'ed the seller.

6. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Is there any way to bump an ad that is placed? When something isn't sold it is good to be able to get it back near the top after a few days.
    Thanks,
    RA

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I definitely appreciate the posting templates, although the implementation could stand to be tweaked to make the relevant content of the post easier to read. I know this suggestion has been made in a different thread.

As for shutting off the replies, I'm not completely convinced this is a positive step. I appreciated having the ability to note if I had PM'd the poster regarding the item and noting, for example, if payment were sent. This seemed like it could reduce/prevent fraud where a seller was accepting payment from multiple buyers. While I'm not certain this type of fraud actually occurred, I recall at least one example (in which I was not a direct party) where it seemed to be taking place.

That said, I'm not a frequent enough user of the buy/sell forum to have noted (or been bothered by) the negative issues you raised in your decision to disallow replies, so you should take my input with a grain of salt.

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm not sure how it necessarily prevents fraud. Even if two people post to that thread that they sent payment, while it would be clear to everyone that two people had done it, it doesn't prevent the seller from taking both payments. It would be up to Paypal for example to resolve this issue. And just because someone posts payment sent to that thread doesn't mean it necessarily happend.

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The thread starter can reply to the thread up to one every right hours, and each reply bumps the thread.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I too would like to be able to post things like pm sent and payment sent. I'm trying to work out some sort of compromise.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 App

11. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The way I could see it helping is if I PM the OP and agree to a deal at the same time as someone else and then they post they've sent payment it could alert me to the situation. This might happen before or after I've made payment, but at least I would be able to tell that something is fishy early on so that I can take appropriate action quickly (either NOT posting my payment in the first place or else quickly attempting to stop/reverse the payment.)

I'm not claiming that it's fool-proof or a panacea for fraud, but simply one use-case I can envision that might keep some fraud from taking place that cannot occur in the current state where replies are prohibited.

Yes, I agree that someone could post that they made a payment when that didn't occur, but I can't think that would be (or has been) a significant problem.

12. Gidget

Gidget Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Leah Hallett
    I think there is too much 'white space' in the template. It needs to have less/no space between the sections. It's also too wide. Limit the width of each line of text.

Make the most important pieces of info in a different color possibly? Like the Item, Price, and acceptable payment methods/shipping.

p.s. I was also going to tell you, when I posted my last listing. I didn't have a template option and I was not posting from an Android or iOS?

13. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I like the changes because now there's load of information on the items for sale whereas before the ads were often too abbreviated.

14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I am only a casual reader of the buy/sells though I have bought and sold here. (Thanks BTW) I haven't felt that allowing replies was much of an issue, though.

15. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Works for me. Thanks.