Showcase Fed 50mm f/3.5 (collapsible)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by avidone, Sep 22, 2011.

1. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I just got a Fed 2a (FSU Leica-style rangefinder) camera, circa 1955, with a collapsible 50mm lens. I actually plan to use this with *gasp* film, but I couldn't resist sticking it on my E-PL1 for the day and shooting semi-randomly. (ie.: don't expect anything too artistic here)

Like many FSU lenses, it actually gives some quite nice results, I find:

Rush Hour Bus 409 by Asher Berry, on Flickr

peaches by Asher Berry, on Flickr

marigolds by Asher Berry, on Flickr

hidden toyger by Asher Berry, on Flickr

hidden toyger vs. ikea mouse by Asher Berry, on Flickr

Aqueduct Centocelle by Asher Berry, on Flickr

Ancient and Modern Rome by Asher Berry, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  2. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Those lenses are very nice and very sharp. Not a fast lens, but I like it a lot.

3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I hope you will never try to collapse it while it's mounted on your Micro 4/3 camera.

BTW, is this a Bengal cat? Looks awesome, like a mini tiger.

4. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I was really pleasantly surprised how nice this lens was, and true to colour. It is a bit annoying to focus and also to change aperture (on this old model, the aperture is controlled by a wee-tiny tab you have to move with a fingernail) since the lens does not really solidly lock into its extended position.

It actually can collapse, though not completely, on the E-PL1. I had read where others had done it before without any ill effects (actually with the Industar-22, which seems to be basically the same lens), so I delicately tried and it collapsed to within a couple mm of completely. Of course I did not force it, and anyway, like I said, I mainly intend to use this on the Fed2 it came attached to.

BTW, my cat is a Toyger; that is actually the breed name. They have a lot of the same ancestors as Bengals, and have been crossed back into them. In fact the originator of the Toyger breed is the daughter of the originator of the Bengal breed (the human originators, I mean, the breeders, not the cats themselves).

It is a breed still being developed and refined and my cat was from a selective breeding program trying to enhance certain features, so, even though he is officially a Toyger, he is actually an F1 with a Toyger mother and a Bengal father.

Anyway, I did not get him to breed, but as a pet, so he is neutered. He has a very particular personality, sometimes doglike (likes water, likes to play fetch), a little too intelligent (meaning he can really get into all sorts of things he should not), very social, very talkative with many different voices...

and of course a striking appearance; tiger-like and with "glitter" in the fur

• Like Like x 1
  5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    avidone, thank you very much for the information about Toygers! Very interesting.

By the way, if you want to shoot film, you should try to find Zorki-3 or Zorki-3S. This is the best FSU rangefinder body. Compared to the most common Zorki, Zorki-4, they're very robust and more refined. But just about any Zorki is better than any FED.

6. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    thanks for the advice on the Zorki models. I actually also recently got a Zorki-4, with Jupiter-8 lens, and original case, box, and (Russian) manual, chosen because it seemed to be in very good shape and also was from 1961, when I was born... then I happened to see the Fed-2, with the collapsible lens which also looked nice, and I was able to grab it quite cheap... the Zorki 4 seems very solidly made, but also bloody heavy; what I like about the Fed is that it is lighter and thinner with that lens anyway.

so, now I will have to also keep my eyes open for a nice Zorki-3... and maybe a nice Kiev, and, and, and...

crazy, I had stopped using serious film cameras like 25 years ago, then I got into micro 4/3, which got me into legacy lenses as well, and the old Soviet lenses were really catching my attention in particular, so I ended up deciding to try some old Soviet cameras with film

what next? am I going to regress to my teenage years and go back into darkroom work?

actually, whatever some may say about QC issues, I learned great respect for Soviet-era technology, growing up in the US with a father who is an expert in Soviet electronics and then working with so many FSU scientists in Israel

7. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Great results from that old Fed lens. I love Tessars.

Zorkis and Feds started out as Barnack Leica copies and got bigger and clunkier over the generations. The Industar Elmar copies are really quite good a it's not hard to buld a good Tessar type lens. The later Leitz Elmars (post 1957) are a bit easier to handle but you still have to apply the infinity lock to change apertures. The 1994 50 Elmar (designated Elmar-M) redesign is best of all in handling and performance but they go for big money.

As for collapsing a lens on :43:, in the days of the CL and M5 Leica used to advise which width of Dymo tape to wrap round the barrel to avoid damaging the meter assembly. A little measurement and experimentation should allow at least partial collapse. Don't forget to extend before shooting though or your pictures will all look like this :frown:

330738913_fd91286a41_z.
    Elmar by Mark Bowerman, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    What lovely results. Color, sharpness, bokeh all good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Hey! that's just how things looked about 10 minutes ago... but now I have my morning cappuccino in hand ;-)

10. swglera

swglera Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2013
    Fed 50 collapsible

Fed 50 comes in many iterations. These are from an early collapsible model mounted on a Pany G-3 Lens does not retract on this camera, and must be extended before mounting. Easy to focus and fun to use.

Attached Files:

11. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    The Fed lens is different from the I-22. I have an early one that is gold coated, has unconventional clocking and is very sharp. After screwing around with many many Fed and Zorki RF's, I just ended up getting a bargain Leica IIIc... they are pretty cheap now.

You're photos aren't loading though. :(

Have fun! Love Russian gear!!! :)

12. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Those lenses are excellent and pin sharp. I have a non collapsible version and I love it.