1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Feb 2010 : Lightzone Workshop Thread #1

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by Brian Mosley, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hello everyone,

I'd like to run a 'freeform workshop' thread each month, alongside our current Lightzone contest.

In this thread, it would be nice to discuss your own images and how you might apply post processing in Lightzone to create alternative renditions.

If you would like to post any images to this thread, with a view to having our workshop participants create a lightzone rendition... that could be quite stimulating.

For example, I know that BBW had quite a challenging whitebalance problem for a shot of her dog... if she were to post the jpeg here, we could upload lightzone imaging stacks with our attempts to correct the whitebalance.

Here's an example of my own... from my walk today with my son in the Peak District.

Out of camera jpeg using iEnhance colour mode :
    E-P2 + 20mm f1.7
    1/500s f/2.2 at 20.0mm iso200
    [​IMG]

My first rendition using Lightzone :
    [​IMG]

My second rendition, using an Orton effect style in Lightzone :
    [​IMG]

A Note on Copyright: Any images in this thread may only be used in the context of this thread, and the only site which has the right to publish these images is mu-43.com. If you want to use this image for any other purposes (e.g. marketing) you may request a license from the image owner.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    ...and applying the 2nd style to another image here.

E-P2 + 20mm f1.7
    1/500s f/2.2 at 20.0mm iso200
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Brian

3. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Marcelo has just posted another rendition to our Lightzone contest... each time a new visualisation is posted, I right click and save the _lzn.jpg file to the folder on my hard drive containing the original raw file (attached to the first competition post).

I then untick each layer (x in top right of each tool) and watch the image as I re-enable each layer from the bottom of the list upwards.

This allows me to see how the image has been modified... a great way to learn!

Here's Marcelo's _lzn.jpg which you can download from the Gallery :
    marceloanelli_lomo_8122966_lzn.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And here's the skull head above, with Marcelo's 'lomo' style applied :
    2143428lomo.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

All I did was move the 'clear focused' area over the skull.

Great fun!

Cheers

Brian

4. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
  5. gusmur

gusmur Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Unable to see tool stacks...

Hi Brian,
    I'm having trouble with the download process of LZN workshop submissions.
    How does one do it such that the tool stacks show up?
    Thanks.
    Angus

6. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Angus,

just right-click save image as... and save the _lzn.jpg to the same folder on your hard drive as the original .ORF raw file.

Then, in Lightzone open the _lzn.jpg file... and it should look for the original file (you may need to confirm the location)

Does that make sense?

Cheers

Brian

7. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    There are a couple of ways to copy and apply the processing stack from one image to another - I'll post examples later today... it's very straightforward.

Cheers

Brian

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.