Featured: 'The Sigma 60mm f2.8 - My quick review!' by spatulaboy

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
I've had the Sigma 60mm f2.8 DN lens for a month and I just love this thing! This lens has been out for about a year now but it hasn't gotten much attention at all. I have a feeling it's being overlooked due to it's 60mm focal length. It's sandwiched right between the Olympus 45mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8 lenses (exactly 15mm between each). Honestly I find the 60mm FL great for portraiture, the 75mm is amazing but it is a little tough to work with sometimes due to its long FL. I got it for portraiture, which it excels at, but I'm finding it pretty useful for other stuff too! I really don't want to be too wordy with this, instead I'll just say what I like and don't like, and put up lots of pictures!

The Good

1. Rendering: Sharp. Punchy. Great contrast wide open. Nice bokeh. This thing produces really nice images and it's very noticeably different from the Olympus rendering.
2. Price: This lens is around $230 dollars. For it's performance it's a bargain. If you want a long portrait lens but don't have the money for an Olympus 75mm, get this lens. It will get you close for 1/4 the price. Amazing.

The Bad

1. Start up delay. When you turn on your camera it takes a good two seconds for the lens to activate. It's not a deal breaker but it might annoy some people.
2. f2.8 aperture. Ok I've seen the comments about how "f2.8 is not good enough for Micro Four Thirds". I am not in that camp and this lens can handle most situations wonderfully. However I can't help wonder how much more desirable this would be if it was at f2. I bet Sigma would sell a lot more of these. Then again it probably wouldn't cost $230 bucks.

Anyways that's my quick and dirty review. On with the pictures!

13592726353_d1f57fb19e_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

306/365 Spring Beauty
by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr

13610057213_67854cc7bd_b.jpg

A nice day in the garden

13749458045_fbbbb595ba_b.jpg

Blossom

13786941343_0d85289f7b_b.jpg

315/365 A picnic to remember

13817153454_3b241f3031_b.jpg

Table with a view

13532921674_8def8033d9_b.jpg

Male Model

13966325486_146841bacd_b.jpg

327/365 Essentials of Philosophy

14062404834_6c8f8880ae_b.jpg

On the prowl

14075012752_12a08b9590_b.jpg

Wonder

Some non-portraits:

13643931753_12ce919e9c_b.jpg

Reclaim

13743883103_650a5ca4ed_b.jpg

Pop

13972032472_2c0efbbef5_b.jpg

Standing out

13983771582_49bf8e5c48_b.jpg

Paloma

13890607600_9c1fcf8923_b.jpg

334/365 All by myself

So in conclusion: I LIKE IT A LOT. :thumbup:
Of course we all shoot differently and have different needs, so what works for me might not work for you. But there is no question this is a good lens. I can only hope Sigma would stop dipping their feet in m4/3 and just jump in fully with a dedicated lens. However, if they can't sell this lens for $200 bucks I'm not holding my breath for future commitments from them. :(

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
I agree that this lens is fantastic. Great pics like usual. It's slow, but I think it renders well enough to buy on its own merits, not just because a 75 is too expensive!

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
...However, if they can't sell this lens for $200 bucks I'm not holding my breath for future commitments from them. :(

Hi Vin!

With the 19mm and 30mm at $199 U.S. I was hoping that the 60mm would follow suite when released...and then hoping for a holiday (Christmas? Chanukah? Kwanzaa? Ramadan? Saturnalia?) sale...now it's Mother's Day week (U.S.) and no sale :mad:.

Not that $30 is a make/break part of the package but I don't really need the Sigma 60mm - it would just make the next logical step in my cheap-gents prime collection (14mm, 20mm, 30mm, 45mm). It doesn't help that the Olympus 60mm is on sale at $399 U.S. and the Olympus offers macro and weather sealing. If I did a lot of macro it would be a no brainer, but I don't and the Sigma seems (from all I've read) to have the upper hand in everything non-macro over the Olympus.

So I'm still on the fence on getting a 60mm...and for deciding which one is preferable for my shooting style. (Probably "none of the above" would best apply :biggrin:).

Thanks for posting the review and the photos!

Regards,

Jim

bhima

Mu-43 Regular
Great review and fantastic photos as always. I really love this lens: extremely sharp, great contrast and the AF speed is VERY quick on my EM-10. I agree with your last statement as well, if Sigma doesn't sell a truckload of these, there is no way they are jumping in full-steam with m4/3. I hope more people discover this lens as it is in another league compared to the other sigma lenses.

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
Yeah I know, that was my point. You would think a quality lens at this price would be selling by the boat loads, but it is not.

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
I should think it's a tough sell - it's up against the 45mm (a good lens in it's own right) the 75mm (possibly the best single lens in the mu4/3 inventory) and the identically ranged Olympus 60mm (which offers superb macro capability and weather sealing).

I'm not denigrating the Sigma 60mm at all - but it has a lot of tough competition. And when the Olympus 60mm is on sale (as it currently is) for "only" $160 U.S. more than the Sigma it's even tougher sledding. When the Olympus goes back up to it's more normal $260 difference then it's an easier decision to jump on the Sigma as the better deal (unless macro is a must have feature).

For those that already have the 45mm the 75mm, even at the premium price it commands, might be a more tempting focal length than the 60mm. There simply isn't enough of a gap between the 45mm and the 75mm to justify spending even $239 (and having yet another lens in the bag).

To me (and YMMV) the 60mm is the 'next logical step' between the 45mm and 75mm - the 15mm additional range over the 45mm is enough of a gap to justify owning the lens. My conundrum comes from having two good 60mm lenses available simultaneously, each having unique features.

Also from having to explain yet another lens to the Princess of the Exchequer :biggrin:.

I assume, however, that Sigma realized all of the competitive offerings before they jumped into the market so not selling a huge number of the lenses might not be unexpected. 19mm, 30mm, 60mm ... can a 90mm f/2.8 be out of the question? :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

HaViet

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for the review Vin, and great photos.

I keep hearing so many good things about this lens, it's so tempting but I am just starting out and barely had my EPM2 for 2 months. I can't have too many lenses while still learning the basics of photography.

Now which of my Oly 17mm f2.8 or Sigma 30mm f2.8 I need to sell to finance this 60mm. Suggestions?

tjdean01

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I got the 30 new for $130 and if the 60 goes $150 I might bite. Problem is that they make some 57 or 58mm lenses we can adapt and those are f1.4 or f1.7. Sure, the Sigma will be without a doubt sharper, but how much sharper? Anyone do a comparison?

bhima

Mu-43 Regular
It depends. This siggy is just a little sharper than my minolta 50mm at f2 but it more than pays for itself by having autofocus.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
I got the 30 new for $130 and if the 60 goes $150 I might bite. Problem is that they make some 57 or 58mm lenses we can adapt and those are f1.4 or f1.7. Sure, the Sigma will be without a doubt sharper, but how much sharper? Anyone do a comparison?

If you want speed there are other lenses, this one is really about the way it renders (and I don't mean just sharpness, although it is very sharp). It has great contrast, great colors, smooth bokeh, and is fantastic with rendering highlights (just look at the photos)

Bull Winkle

Mu-43 Regular
I got all 3 Sigma's, couldn't beat the price/quality. Still learning to use my gear. Thanks for the review and pics, they look great.

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin

I have a Minolta Rokkor 58mm f1.4. Maybe I'll do a comparison. A three way shootout with the Oly 60mm macro would be interesting.

bhima

Mu-43 Regular
I have a Minolta Rokkor 58mm f1.4. Maybe I'll do a comparison. A three way shootout with the Oly 60mm macro would be interesting.

Ihave a minolta 50 f2 that i used before getting the siggy. The bokeh on the minolta is intersting though busier than the sigma. Sharpness goes to the sigma vs my minolta and having AF helps a ton ;)

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

Cruzan80

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Sean Rastsmith
In fairness, the md 50/2 is not known for being the sharpest of that bunch. Wither the MC/MD Rokkor 50/1.4 is (forget which).

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

ean10775

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Eric
I decided to pick this one up as its currently discounted $30 at B&H and I've been considering an AF lens longer than my 14-42mm kit lens (currently the only AF lens I have for my E-PL1), but didn't want plunk down the cash for the Oly 75mm. I like what I've seen of the rendering both from Vin's photos here and the native lens image thread. To Vin's point about people saying f2.8 isn't fast enough for a m43 lens, I don't think I'll mind the f2.8 aperture in this case as I'm unlikely to use this lens indoors due to the longer FL and outdoors I should be able to use it near wide open without an ND filter, even with the modest top shutter speed of the E-PL1.

Dramaturg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Yevgen
Vinc, how does it compare to 75mm? Oly is very good for full body shots as it produces that FF look. What about Sigma? It seems that you mostly use it for head or half body shots. Why is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

WendyK

Super Moderator
Real Name
Wendy
I decided to pick this one up as its currently discounted $30 at B&H and I've been considering an AF lens longer than my 14-42mm kit lens (currently the only AF lens I have for my E-PL1), but didn't want plunk down the cash for the Oly 75mm. I like what I've seen of the rendering both from Vin's photos here and the native lens image thread. To Vin's point about people saying f2.8 isn't fast enough for a m43 lens, I don't think I'll mind the f2.8 aperture in this case as I'm unlikely to use this lens indoors due to the longer FL and outdoors I should be able to use it near wide open without an ND filter, even with the modest top shutter speed of the E-PL1.

I think you'll be very pleased with it for those purposes. I use it outdoors and most of the time I use it wide open and it does a fantastic job. I don't own the 75mm to compare it to, but the Sigma 60 makes me not covet the 75.

ean10775

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Eric
I think you'll be very pleased with it for those purposes. I use it outdoors and most of the time I use it wide open and it does a fantastic job. I don't own the 75mm to compare it to, but the Sigma 60 makes me not covet the 75.

Thanks. My copy arrived from B&H this morning - nicely put together lens and very nicely packaged by Sigma. The black version matches the two black finishes used on the E-PL1 (semi-glossy and matte) very closely. I like the look of the lens more than I expected to. I've only taken a few test shots around the office to see how the autofocus performs (silently and accurately, though a bit slow on the E-PL1, but that is to be expected), but it seems like it will be a very useful lens, particularly for tight portraits (I use my X100S for pretty much everything else).

spdavies

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stephen
Does anyone have any sense of how this lens compares to the Pan 35-100 at the same focal length?
IQ-wise, sharpness, bokeh, etc.
Thanks.

Latest threads

Top Bottom