1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Featured: 'Images of Cambodia' by datagov

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by datagov, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    The temples of Angkor Wat are wonderful, but it is the people that bring me back here. They are warm, kind, and incredibly generous. I love photographing them and try to capture a little of their magic.

16359896831_0e078f263a_o.

• Like Like x 29
  2. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    • Like Like x 2
  3. plaatje

plaatje Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Absolutely, I always prefer photos of people. These are excellent - well done! :thumbup:

5. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Beautiful photos. Is it Flickr or this site that is scrunching them up?

• Like Like x 1
  6. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I visited the my motherland last feb. but was too busy taking pictures of things and places and not the people. :( it's going to be more about the people next time. Awesome photos though!

7. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Thanks everyone. We left today and are in transit in KL and I am already planning my next trip back in a year. What a magical place. I am updating the photos with some more from the last days.

• Like Like x 1
  8. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    +1

Your photos posted here appear to be 'scrunched up' or distorted. When clicking throught to flickr, they seem fine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Just wonderful.

10. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    Nam
    I too returned back to the motherland in 2011 after 36 years. For some reason I couldn't bring myself to take picture of the people.
    I have to say these pictures are beautiful.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    And they look good on my iPad.

12. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Wonderful. you have really captured the local people. Thanks for sharing.

13. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    It is a wonderful honor to have your photos featured on this site. Thanks for the recognition. It was a wonderful five days in one of my favorite places to visit. I took most of the photos on Saturday morning in Angkor Wat. We got up before sunrise, and made it to the western entrance, but the sky was cloudless and hazy and there were already hundreds of photographers lined up in the same spots taking the same photos. We made our way to the southern "elephant gate," where we met the first man who was very eager to have his photo taken. He spoke some French, but no English. Later, we walked ot the East and around the Island, where I met a Laotian Monk at the North entrance to Angkor Wat. He was carrying a Canon 7D, and we talked for a while about Laos, his life in Thailand, photography, and his visit to Cambodia. Budist monks are tech saavy, and fun to talk to. He took my photo and I took his and we exchanged gmail addresses and went our way. I met the women and children on Sunday morning, walking around the sidestreets near my hotel. It was the most fun of a very fun trip. Now I'm flying back to NYC just in time for Winter Storm Juno. Yuck.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Huff

Huff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    Mike
    Great collection, and like others have said, the people there are amazing. I had a few cases where they didn't want to have photos taken, but usually nobody cared. With a little common courtesy...sometimes just pointing to the camera and then pointing towards them (never "at" them...that can be take as an aggressive gesture in some areas) with a smile works great.

I hate to do this, but I have to comment about the first photo. While I really want to love it, it's simply not sharp and if included in a collection maybe it should be down the list a bit.

Thanks for sharing! Makes me want to go back and revisit some of my own.

15. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Sharpness isn't everything

• Like Like x 1
  16. bolospecs

bolospecs New to Mu-43

Oct 31, 2014
    Maybe not, but a first impression is. Always lead with your best shot (which, imo, is #2 with the monk, the most evenly-lit and least-yellow of the bunch). I agree w/ Huff, #1's the weakest photo and I'd axe it completely because leaving it in weakens the entire series. But if you insist on keeping it, bury it in the middle.

• Like Like x 1
  17. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Noted. And ignored. Thank you.

18. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Great series, but why so defensive about constructive feedback?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think #1 is one of the strongest shots despite not being sharp.

As for unwanted criticism offered and how it is taken, this is always a tricky thing on a photography forum.

• Like Like x 3
  20. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Amin, I welcome feedback, and am grateful for folks pointing out the yellow cast to the photos. The light in Cambodia is very warm and the earth is red, making ambient and reflective light very yellow. But I found a way to remove the yellow cast after it was pointed out here and it does improve the photos. Many thanks.

The advice to delete the first photo was fine. I disagree. That's it.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.