Featured: 'Frame Grab from the GH4' by Talanis

Talanis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric Cote
Here is a screen grab from a 4K video made with the GH4. The quality is sweet.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's the resulting video that I did for testing the variable frame rates (at 96 fps)
http://youtu.be/oq3vw8KdF1I

Edit: Here's a link to the original: http://clients.ericcote.net/img/s5/v130/p856348591.jpg

Another Edit: Here is the printed version (13" x 19")

Talanis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric Cote
The only issue is that YouTube makes every video look as if it was shot on an early 00's smartphone! I find Vimeo to offer much better videos in terms of codec quality, whereas YouTube is just terrible.
I will upload it to Vimeo when I have the chance. What are the bitrates you are using for Vimeo?

noohoggin1

Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio
Real Name
Tom
Looks very sharp. You woudn't happen to have the full size capture handy, would you? 12-35/2.8 lens? It's stuff like this that makes me teeter on the edge of biting the bullet already and just getting the GH4, even though in the grand scheme of things I don't really need it.

Thanks for sharing.

Talanis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric Cote

Levster

Mu-43 All-Pro
I will upload it to Vimeo when I have the chance. What are the bitrates you are using for Vimeo?
I'm not really sure to be honest. I've watched videos on both YouTube and Vimeo and have always found that the Vimeo ones retain a lot more of the original quality. Vimeo do have a charging model though, but casual users can upload the occasional video for free.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
You can actually upload quite a lot onto Vimeo for free, but what throttles you is the upload/conversion time, which typically takes 45mins for free users.

Talanis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric Cote
Here is a Vimeo version. Vimeo is limited to 720p on the free version though

[video=vimeo;99463395]http://vimeo.com/99463395[/video]

Talanis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric Cote
Thanks Amin. I will try to print it in 13 x 19 to see how it looks. I'll update this post after that to tell you how it is :)

Talanis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric Cote
I just printed it and I'm even more impressed. 13" x 19" without any special manipulation.

Details

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Here is a screen grab from a 4K video made with the GH4. The quality is sweet.

Another Edit: Here is the printed version (13" x 19")
I think you should also print the second one. And so on . . .

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I suggested this before, but if I were still shooting sports, I'd probably get a GH4 just for the video, so that I could get still shots of the action and never miss the peak of action. And with current editing software, it wouldn't take any longer to extract stills than it would take to go through hundreds of stills after a days shooting.

Talanis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric Cote
I suggested this before, but if I were still shooting sports, I'd probably get a GH4 just for the video, so that I could get still shots of the action and never miss the peak of action. And with current editing software, it wouldn't take any longer to extract stills than it would take to go through hundreds of stills after a days shooting.
It could be applied to many things I think, not just sports. Family sessions with young kids for example. One thing for sure, it will lead to interesting discussions. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
It could be applied to many things I think, not just sports. Family sessions with young kids for example. One thing for sure, it will lead to interesting discussions. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app
Absolutely! But it will require more work than some are willing to do. For a sports photographer covering regular events such as our AFL and other similar games, that happen every weekend, shooting video and taking stills of the video would offer a lot of potential. It especially allows for short video to be embedded in news web sites.

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
I am not quite sure what I am seeing here. Sorry about that but I know very little about video and even less about the GH4.

I understand that the photo is a screen grab from 4k video. Does the video shoot jpegs/RAW or something else entirely which you then convert a still into a jpeg?

Then the video which you show at 96fps. Looking at the GH4 specs I assume this is HD (2k) rather than the 4k that you took the still from. Is that right? Again is it outputting RAW/jpegs something else?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom