1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Featured: 'Frame Grab from the GH4' by Talanis

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Talanis, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    • Like Like x 21
  2. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Wow. The quality does look very good. Thanks for posting that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

The only issue is that YouTube makes every video look as if it was shot on an early 00's smartphone! I find Vimeo to offer much better videos in terms of codec quality, whereas YouTube is just terrible.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I will upload it to Vimeo when I have the chance. What are the bitrates you are using for Vimeo?

5. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Looks very sharp. You woudn't happen to have the full size capture handy, would you? 12-35/2.8 lens? It's stuff like this that makes me teeter on the edge of biting the bullet already and just getting the GH4, even though in the grand scheme of things I don't really need it.

Thanks for sharing.

6. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Here's a link to the original: http://clients.ericcote.net/img/s5/v130/p856348591.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  7. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Dang, that looks sharp! Grabbing stills from 4k is one of the reasons I've considered moving over from the E-M1. Thanks for posting the sample still.

8. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
  9. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    impressive. thanks for sharing that.

10. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'm not really sure to be honest. I've watched videos on both YouTube and Vimeo and have always found that the Vimeo ones retain a lot more of the original quality. Vimeo do have a charging model though, but casual users can upload the occasional video for free.

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    You can actually upload quite a lot onto Vimeo for free, but what throttles you is the upload/conversion time, which typically takes 45mins for free users.

12. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Here is a Vimeo version. Vimeo is limited to 720p on the free version though

[video=vimeo;99463395]http://vimeo.com/99463395[/video]

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  14. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Thanks Amin. I will try to print it in 13 x 19 to see how it looks. I'll update this post after that to tell you how it is :)

15. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I just printed it and I'm even more impressed. 13" x 19" without any special manipulation.

p54637700-4.

Details
    p10887647-4.

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I think you should also print the second one. And so on . . .

• Like Like x 1
  17. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I suggested this before, but if I were still shooting sports, I'd probably get a GH4 just for the video, so that I could get still shots of the action and never miss the peak of action. And with current editing software, it wouldn't take any longer to extract stills than it would take to go through hundreds of stills after a days shooting.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    It could be applied to many things I think, not just sports. Family sessions with young kids for example. One thing for sure, it will lead to interesting discussions. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Absolutely! But it will require more work than some are willing to do. For a sports photographer covering regular events such as our AFL and other similar games, that happen every weekend, shooting video and taking stills of the video would offer a lot of potential. It especially allows for short video to be embedded in news web sites.

• Like Like x 1
  20. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I am not quite sure what I am seeing here. Sorry about that but I know very little about video and even less about the GH4.

I understand that the photo is a screen grab from 4k video. Does the video shoot jpegs/RAW or something else entirely which you then convert a still into a jpeg?

Then the video which you show at 96fps. Looking at the GH4 specs I assume this is HD (2k) rather than the 4k that you took the still from. Is that right? Again is it outputting RAW/jpegs something else?