Featured Forum Thread: Got my E-M5. If you have questions...

asaulo1

Mu-43 Veteran
Sure looks like the x100 is larger in almost every dimension to the EM-5. I assume it's also heavier?

EthanFrank

Mu-43 Regular
In 'Gears' menu, section B (Button/Dial), there are three selections (Button Function, Dial Function, Dial Direction). In Button Function there is the Fn1 Function. Under that, you can assigned the AEL/AFL. There is no more sub menus under the AEL/AFL so you cannot change it's behaviour. Will check more on this later. Maybe I need to check and read the manual. :biggrin:
Thanks for checking :)

I just read the manual, cover to virtual cover, and found the solution:

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/omd/man_em5_e.pdf - Page 93

Within the AEL/AFL menu, choosing AF-S Mode 3 should do it.

If you have a second, let me know if it works like I'm hoping it will :) and thanks for the help.

Enjoy the camera.

TheObiJuan

Mu-43 Rookie
Japan was first. Orders in Canada (I don't know about the States) will be arriving in Olympus warehouses within the next week and a bit, according to the Olympus rep, and shipping to stores right after that.
Japan was first indeed, but sold out nation-wide the first day. I went to buy one and was told it would be a month wait to get one....

This is coming from the Oly rep at the nation's largest camera store, Yodobashi.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
By default, AEL/AFL is assigned to Fn1. However even though it says AEF/AEL, pressing Fn1 only locks exposure. Shutter press is still required to autofocus and lock by half press.
In order to separate that function from the shutter release, then all you have to do is go through your menu system and change the settings for your active AF mode (ie, S-AF, C-AF, MF) to "Mode 3". Then that default AEL/AFL button will then become the dedicated AF button while the shutter release will only activate exposure lock on the half-press, then release the shutter on the full press. If you set MF to Mode 3, then it will add S-AF capabilities to your MF mode. So I leave S-AF as the default Mode 1 (in case I never need to go back for whatever reason), changing only C-AF and MF to Mode 3 for Back Button Focus. Using MF in Mode 3 does the same thing as S-AF (Mode 3) + MF, but the latter is just redundant. ;)

This is the way all Olympus DSLRs and PEN cameras have been... If they haven't shifted it around too much, it should be under Sprockets => AEL/AFL => AF Mode.

RussellOlaguer

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Russell Olaguer
Sure looks like the x100 is larger in almost every dimension to the EM-5. I assume it's also heavier?
According to specs, X100 weighs 445g (battery & memory card included).
The E-M5 plus 20mm weighs 541g (425g body,battery & memory card & 116g lens).

The E-M5 with 20mm lens is supposed to be heavier. For me, they feels the same weight. Maybe because X100 has added weight from Thumbs Up and Metal Hood.

RussellOlaguer

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Russell Olaguer

RussellOlaguer

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Russell Olaguer
In order to separate that function from the shutter release, then all you have to do is go through your menu system and change the settings for your active AF mode (ie, S-AF, C-AF, MF) to "Mode 3". Then that default AEL/AFL button will then become the dedicated AF button while the shutter release will only activate exposure lock on the half-press, then release the shutter on the full press. If you set MF to Mode 3, then it will add S-AF capabilities to your MF mode. So I leave S-AF as the default Mode 1 (in case I never need to go back for whatever reason), changing only C-AF and MF to Mode 3 for Back Button Focus. Using MF in Mode 3 does the same thing as S-AF (Mode 3) + MF, but the latter is just redundant. ;)

This is the way all Olympus DSLRs and PEN cameras have been... If they haven't shifted it around too much, it should be under Sprockets => AEL/AFL => AF Mode.
Thanks. I manage to get the focusing using AEL/AFL assigned to Fn1 to work. :smile:

RussellOlaguer

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Russell Olaguer
When are u we gonna see the pictures taken with this camera? If i had this camera the first thing I will do is to take it out and shoot . Please post some shots mate ..
Cheers
Went out yesterday to take photos (using mostly the kitlens as i want to know its capability) but were to tired to post when i went back home. :biggrin:

I'm at work now. WIll try to post pictures later. :smile:

RussellOlaguer

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Russell Olaguer
Just want to share some photos from the few test shots I got yesterday.
Went out on a park to try the 12-50mm kitlens.
Love the macro capability of this lens.
THough I find it difficult to lock the focus due to strong wind.
(These are small flowers which size about 3/4inch)

E-M5 + 12-50mm (macro) (handheld)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

hanzo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chan
Hows the EVF and focusing manual focus lenses (if you have any)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom