1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Featured Forum Post: 'Seen better days...'

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OdzBodkinz, Oct 6, 2011.

1. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    • Like Like x 31
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Nice. is it HDR? It looks like pretty dramatic tones.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Very nice image!

.... looks like a good restoration project.

4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Wonderful car, setting and sweeeeet image! Thanks for sharing that.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    In High School, a friend of mine had an old Fairlane. Metal dashboard (don't touch it in winter!), bench seats and a three speed manual tranny on the steering column, lol.

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    God, I had forgotten about metal dashboards.....LOL. Beautiful HDR. You've really captured the light well. Lots to enjoy here. I thinnk my fave part is the headliner hanging down catching the light, but the rust is pretty great, too. And the Texaco sign, and the Dutch tilt, and.......too much to name.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    How about the irony of the "adventures in moving" over an old car that doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon :)

Lovely pic.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't know anything about old cars, but I'd have to agree. Looking through the rust, that is a beautiful car!

Wonderful photo for all the reasons mentioned above!

9. Fisheads

Fisheads New to Mu-43

Growing up, our family had a white Fairlane 500, same style/year as the one in the photo...brings back great memories...thanks for a great shot...a strong draw...

10. bebrox

bebrox Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    Scotland
    What Camera?

Beautiful HDR, what camera and lens did you use and what software?

11. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    One of my fav. subjects. Old cars.

12. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    Thanks. Yes, it is pseudo HDR. I say that because I did 7 bracketed exposures, 1 EV apart, merged in Photomatix and tonemapped, and then taken into PhotoShop for final processing. I layered the HDR over another exposure whose sky I liked better, then softly painted out the parts that I didnt need, and lowered the opacity of the HDR exposure to render a more realistic vision of what I actually saw there.

Panasonic G3 and 14mm 2.5mm

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    excellent FOV and beautiful textures and colors, very well done.

14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I appreciate learning some of the tricks of toning down the shots. But honestly, I can't wait until the day when people don't need to explain away or apologize for the HDR. It has ALWAYS been and always WILL BE a legitimate form of processing an image. There will always be great examples.....and terrible ones, just like any art form.

Bravo.......keep 'em coming.:2thumbs:

15. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Yes... so true, Luke. Photography has always had a wide variety of techniques in camera and in darkroom that are not all that unlike today's more modern techniques. Some people think that with the advent of digital, photography can't be "trusted anymore". The truth is that photography could never be "trusted"; just as any other representative illustrative form, it's always been a "rendition" of reality which has never been exactly "accurate". Similarly, as an art form, not all photographic renditions will be pleasing to all viewers, but if an image achieves the intent of the creator, it's a successful image. Like most people, when it comes to HDR, I tend to prefer the milder, more natural looking forms of HDR, but there is the occasional over the top HDR image, one that moves into the realm of illustration, that I like as well.

As you say, whether HDR or not, an image may or may not be pleasing to any particular viewer, but that doesn't make it right nor wrong. It just is what it is.

Back to this particular image.... I love it! :smile: