1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Featured Forum Post: 'My Recent Trip to New York'

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sam_m, Oct 6, 2012.

1. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Few shots attached from my recent trip to New York, I used the Olympus OMD with mainly 20mm f1.7, 9-18mm and Samyang 7.5mm. The OMD helped me get shots I would have found really tricky with the 5D. The IBIS really came into its own especially when I was trying to get a sense of motion in the images. Brilliant brilliant camera!!!!

New York 2012_149 by scm-photography, on Flickr

8059306924_86213102ec_b.
    New York 2012_108 by scm-photography, on Flickr

8059311659_05cc552434_b.
    New York 2012_87 by scm-photography, on Flickr

8059315683_3da5f99149_b.
    New York 2012_68 by scm-photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    New York 2012_27 by scm-photography, on Flickr

New York 2012_18 by scm-photography, on Flickr

New York 2012_08 by scm-photography, on Flickr

8059373075_57bf9e404a_b.
    New York 2012_142 by scm-photography, on Flickr

8059373945_85676ac1fa_b.
    New York 2012_138 by scm-photography, on Flickr

8059385225_fb94d8986b_b.
    New York 2012_134 by scm-photography, on Flickr

8059373483_9e2bc140b4_b.
    New York 2012_140 by scm-photography, on Flickr

Not taken with the OMD but made me laugh...

8059309836_37cd0206f9_z.
    New York 2012_84 by scm-photography, on Flickr

• Like Like x 33
  2. Olivier Duong

Olivier Duong Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 23, 2012
    These are great capture of the city, congrats! Would you mind sharing with the viewers some thoughts about the omd in low light? These look silky clean!

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    All of these are great, Sam. I love the shot of the red Mini in the center of all those yellow cabs.

• Like Like x 2
  4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Amazing shots!!! I especially like the 1st shot, the skyline shot with the Brooklyn Bridge, and the one with the Mini Cooper (was that done by panning?) You make us other MFT users proud.

5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Awesone shots man! Cingratulations great work!

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    GREAT shooting! I love NYC - probably my favorite place ever to walk around with a camera... I assume the first shot and the same view taken with the fisheye were looking south from Rockefeller Center? I spent April in the City doing a ton of street shooting and a few scenics. I just got the OMD at B&H while I was there, I think the first day they had it, so I only had about 10 days or so with it. The rest of the time I was mostly using the Fuji X-Pro. Both awesome cameras for shooting in the city, or anywhere else for that matter. Thanks for sharing these - they're phenomenal.

I don't want to post my own old shots in your thread, but if interested here are links to a couple where I was specifically taking advantage of the IBIS - both handheld at around 1/2 to 1/3 of a second:

NYC 4/18/12 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

NYC 4/26/12 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

-Ray

7. peterbee

peterbee Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 2, 2011
    Huddersfield, UK
    Peter Bartlett
    What a stunning set of images! It's very difficult to pick out a favourite as they all have real merit. Thanks for posting them.

8. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Thank you guys, I had such a fantastic time, and the OMD performed exceptionally in the low light. I never shot more than ISO 3200 but in all honesty the images straight out of the camera were suprisingly clean I actually thought they were of a lower ISO.

The first shot was tricky and one I really would have struggled with a DSLR because of how many people were up there at the time (the sunset rush even though it was a bit cloudy), I had to reach as high as possible whilst looking into the tilted display panel, and pray the IBIS and my steady hands would produce a very sharp image, I also choose ISO 400 as I wanted to get as clean as possible image. I was after a new cityscape canvas to print when I got home :biggrin:.

The mini in new york shot was the type of shot I was desperate for but wanted a Taxi mainly, the red amoungst the yellow was a bit of a bonus, (think there was one uploaded to my Flickr of just a taxi). I sat at the back of the tour bus, put the OMD on the surface and again a lower ISO to get as clean as possible image and despite the vibrations of the bus, the IBIS did its job brilliantly.

The same for the motion shots really, quite a few I wanted to give the sense of movement and life in New York and the IBIS really helped me create this look.

THe shot I`ve posted with the mirror reflection at night was from my Yotel Hotel room, there was a window which you could just about get the camera outside and I literaely held it against the outside of the next window and snapped away. Here is the window with the OMD hanging into... I was setting it up for some Timelapse shots...

8059311837_99a46a11f3_b.
    New York 2012_86 by scm-photography, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  9. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
  10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Fantastic series, Sam, thanks for sharing. Love the color and the dynamics of the city captured.

11. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    wow ... and so I understand most if not all pictures are hand-held .... no use of tripod whatsoever?

12. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Great series! I love New York and would love to go back soon with my camera, there is just a neverending supply of great photo opportunities and you captured many wonderful shots. Thanks for sharing!

13. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    "New York 2012 142" is the standout image. Whenever I describe Noo Yauck to those that have never experienced the Big Apple, it is this image that underscores the explosion of sound, deluge of lights, and amalgam of people and vehicles in a tightly-woven texture of decades-spread architecture compacted into a single area that can fit into Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley.

Thanks for sharing these images.

14. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Very nice collection- thanks for sharing

15. scott0487

scott0487 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Scott
    Wow. Every single shot is excellent. Thanks for sharing. Great series.

Scott

16. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Nearly all shots were handheld yes, it really is that good a system, holding the camera out of the window of the hotel was a bit of a test and a bit risky but worked fine. The mini motion shot was purched on the back of he bus and the only use of a tripod was creating a timelapse sequence. I forgot to pack my Jobby Tripod which I was gutted about, but fortunately didnt find that it was needed.

17. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Awesome work Sam, I like them all :smile:

These are some of the very few shots I've seen that made me want to play around with a fisheye lens; I'm usually more of a rectilinear wide angle fan but you sure had some fun with the Rokinon and put it to good use here!

18. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I really can't say anything because it has already been said!!! Marvellous!!

19. FernandoBatista

FernandoBatista Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    Portugal
    I'm usually not a fan of anything that doesn't include nature... but this images are superb. Your composition choices are very well though of, with great lighting and colours. Very good work.

20. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Ray, sorry I missed your post, thank you and yes the first shot and fisheye were the same view. We (girlfriend and I) were deciding whether to go up the empire state or rockefeller, but it seems the queue for empire state is a nightmare, and also you dont get 360degree view of the city.

I went to BH Photo aswell to buy a laptop, what an experience it was in there, incredibly professional and such an outstanding service. I had to stay away from the photography section as my credit card would have been maxed out for sure. I was tempted by the 25mm F1.4 to replace my 20mm F1.7 but thinking about it now, I wish I had just gone for it.

Great shots too Ray!!, the IBIS is worth its weight in gold on this camera, and it made for capturing shots in motion so much easier than faffing about setting up tripods etc. Initially it was my intention to take only the OMD and host of lenses, but I wanted some really shallow Depth of Field shots so I had a 5D and 85mm F1.4 at hand, but in all honesty my favourite shots from the trip came from the OMD, such an unobtrusive camera to carry around and shoot in the street, and no one really takes any notice.

I am heading off to check out your NYC abum on Flickr now, always enjoy seeing another photographers perspective of somewhere I now recognise :biggrin: