1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Featured Forum Post: Leica DG 42.5mm f/1.2 Nocticron Sample Images by Wasabi Bob

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Wasabi Bob, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Happy Holidays to all!
    I recently got to go on a very special tour of Grand Central Terminal, into areas not accessible to the general public. I also had a few hours to play with the new 42.5 lens and managed to shoot a few head shots. Two below and two others contained in the set. It's a fantastic lens, though definitely larger and heavier than past offerings. Hope you all enjoy the photos and I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/sets/72157638146201873/

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/11101588326/" title="Grand Central with 42.5 F1.2 Len by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr"> 11101588326_9bacc67a86_b. "1024" height="769" alt="Grand Central with 42.5 F1.2 Len"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/11101605044/" title="Grand Central with 42.5 F1.2 Len by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr"> 11101605044_7d738ee773_b. "1024" height="769" alt="Grand Central with 42.5 F1.2 Len"></a>

• Like Like x 19
  2. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    Excellent lens! And it produces that swirly bokeh wide open! Cool!

3. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Wow, I expected it to be a lot softer wide open, but from that portrait, Incredible sharpness at F1.2. This lens may be a gamechanger for the MFT system. Now hope the cost is not astronomical (which it probably will be).

4. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    And the depth of field is so thin. His nose and right eye are in focus but his left eye and his hair to the right of his right eye are already OOF.

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Wasabi Bob : let's see a portrait from further away too ... thanks for posting what you did.

6. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Here already has one, just didn't post it. This is from his flickr account, shot at F1.2:

Grand Central with 42.5 F1.2 Lens by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  7. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    I want

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Samples look great! Love the swirly bokeh too.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The sharpness is top notch!!! But I do not like the bokeh balls at the edge, they are too ovaled{I assume this is what others are calling "swirly"}. I expect high end lenses to produce a much more even shape to the bokeh! I have seen this on lenses that were designed for a smaller sensor, such as c-mounts on m4/3. It also shows up on lenses fitted with a speedbooster adaptor. It can be used for dramatic, artistic reasons but for average use it isn't something I would want.

If you stop it down to f1.4 does it still produce this effect?

PS - I love the shots themselves!

10. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    i think the effect is called "cats eye" bokeh. I noticed this too in the images above. Personally i like it, especially when from the nokton 42.5. I dont think it helps that the lights might be mounted on the walls of the station which might be in the shape of an arch..

• Like Like x 1
  11. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Well I'm already sold :biggrin:

This will make a heck of a lens for portrait work. Now if they'd just release the thing for orders and put an ETA on it!

12. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    This effect is due to the large aperture. The 10000$ Noctilux has this, all ultra fast has this effect. The Olympus 75mm f1.8 is perfectly corrected because it's much slower being 1.8.

• Like Like x 1
  13. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    The sharpness is incredible, and I noticed in the full size image that sharpenning mask is applied, or at least that's how the files appears to my eyes. Nevertheless the contrast and lack of fog effect is remarkable for a 1.2! I think I will love this lens.

14. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Wasabi Bob,
    How did you like the handling? Aperture ring and focus were up to high grade standards?

15. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Thanks for sharing. Nice pics. I love fast lenses because I prefer available light photography. Is this auto or manual focus?

16. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.

Auto focus. With manual aperture ring, but we assume it can be electronically controlled too

17. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
  18. neofx19

neofx19 Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    Vancouver
    very nice bokeh. I took am waiting for this lens, but I would love to see a Leica 42.5mm 1.2 vs Olympus 45mm 1.8 vs Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm f/0.95 shoot out....

19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Someone's looking at this with different eyes : I would never call this one "swirly" bokeh.
    Very straight, normal and quite soft. Oval points, or "cat's eye". Pleasant.
    At F1.2 I suspect the location indoors is helping avoid any chance of flare or glow/softness, what can we expect with some sunlight in the picture?
    Really great samples, very useful W.Bob.
    How muchy costy?

20. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I never noticed this effect with my Nikkor 50mm f1.2. It might have been there and I just missed it. That was my film days and unfortunately I can't look at those pics since I lost all my negs, prints and slides in a flood. Back then I wasn't too concerned with bokeh, especially since I hadn't heard the term yet. It doesn't do it at all adapted to m4/3 but then the sensor is cropping in and may be past that point. Still I prefer the look of perfectly round bokeh balls. Which is why I asked if it still does this stopped down to f1.4.