Featured: 'CE&PE 2014 Show Report' by LivingLoud

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by LivingLoud, Apr 20, 2014.

1. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    Hi, guys!

So, finally I`ve made it to mu-43 with the new set from CE&PE 2014 (Consumer Electronics & Photo Expo).

E-M1 & mZD 12-40/2,8
    c5wWTds.jpg

CE&PE is an annual show in Moscow where all major companies present their products. Segment dedicated to photography & videography is called PhotoForum. As I told you before, I`ve been a guest photographer at Olympus Russia booth and I must admit that it was quite challenging job. We`ve worked 4 days in a row & I`ve had to take pictures of models & visitors at our booth and also be an authoritative pro user to consult some other photographers who are interested in switching to M43 world. Also there was an retouch/print cab where we`ve been tweaking and printing pictures of our models and booth guests (so they may take em if they wanted to). Olympus product manager Pavel helped me all the way & also took some great pictures (he`s photographer too) & helped me a lot with retouching. But if there was any trouble, guys from Olympus helped me with it - lenses, lighting or other stuff. Booth staff was really-really helpful and caring. Big thanks to them!

E-M1 & mZD 12-40/2,8
    EM111557.jpg

That`s Polina showing off our prints.)

E-M1 & mZD 12-40/2,8
    EM111718.jpg

Also there was a gellery of images from Olympus photographers in Russia. You can notice Segrei`s and my pictures out there )

E-M1 & mZD 12-40/2,8
    EM111559.jpg

This year Olympus main products were new OM-D E-M10, Stylus 1, SP-100 ultra-zoom & SH-1 compact cameras. Also a few lens mock-ups were shown. I`m talking about 7-14/2,8, 40-150/2,8 & 300/4. All lenses are extremely compact. I`ve been amazed with size of 7-14 - it`s smaller and thinner than 12-40. If you`re familiar with 43rds optics then you can imagine 40-150/2,8 - it`s almost like 50-200 SWD in size but much more thinner in width. Or you just can imaginally stack up two 12-40/2,8 & get same picture. 300/4 is 3-5 cm longer than 40-150 and also quite compact for that focus distance.

Only mobile pics of lenses, sorry )

eLKpqIl.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

Talking about our models... Well, they`re awesome!!! There was four of them and all are extremely cute & as I see comments on russian forums & websites they are extremely popular. I guess I can say that theay are unofficial Top Girls of The Show )))

4130176.jpg

So here`s few shots I`ve taken & PP`d during the show...

Ksenia & E-M1 w/ mZD 12-40/2,8
    E-M1 & mZD 12-40/2,8
    4120213_Edit_Edit.jpg

Ksenia
    E-M1 & mZD 45/1,8
    d5Mnuqb.jpg

Lisa
    E-M1 & mZD 12-40/2,8
    P4100761_Edit.jpg

Polina & E-M1 w/ ZD 50-200/2,8-3,5 SWD - This one`s PP`d by Pavel
    E-M1 & mZD 12-40/2,8
    3111.jpg

Polina & SH-1
    E-M1 & mZD 12-40/2,8
    EM112020_Edit_Edit.jpg

Evgenia carrying ZD300/2,8 as a baby.:smile:
    E-M1 & mZD 12-40/2,8
    EM112061_Edit_Edit.jpg

And also some I`ve edited after the show.

Ksenia
    E-M1 & mZD 75/1,8
    zg1mVoP.jpg

Polina
    E-M1 & mZD 12-40/2,8
    amyzgk.jpg

Lisa
    E-M1 & mZD 75/1,8
    P4100868_Edit.jpg

Ksenia
    E-M1 & mZD 12-40/2,8
    4130042_Edit_Edit_Edit.jpg

Also there was a few guests from Olympus Japan so I`ve took a picture of Olympus top-manager with our models & also I`ve shot a portrait of Hiro Yakushi, sport photography legend - but I won`t post these pictures due to privacy reasons, guys, sorry. That was the most overwhelming moment of the show for me - one thing to shoot models with whom we`ve became friends during the show and the other - Oly top manager and sport photography legend! But we`ve done our best and our guests was really happy with results. )))

BTW, Hiro Yakushi had his own booth at that show sponsored by Olympus. He`s shot 12 Olympics and I was simply amazed with his photos.
    [​IMG]

There are 3000+ shot`s I`ve made during the show so still there`s a lot of work to do, but as for today you`ve got all the pictures that are ready. )

So, as I mentioned before it was tough but really nice experience. We`ve shot some really commercial quality pics right at the booth. I`ve talked to some pros revealing some details of `going m43` to them and a couple of them ordered some gear immediately at the booth (I guess it was E-M1 PRO kit, FL-600 and few more lenses). We`ve became friends with girls and Olympus Russia staff - they was really helpful and we`ve got everything we`ve needed during the show. Thank you guys if you`re rading! )

In other words I`m happy to be the part of Olympus family! )

Here`s a few backstage shots:

4130133.jpg

And here`s us with Pavel - the guy from Olympus I`ve mentioned before. BTW he`s very good at photography and I`ll try to incline him to join our community.

4130122.jpg

• Like Like x 52
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

• Like Like x 4
  3. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    Great job man!

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    The last image is the best! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    It's a tough job Maxim but I'm proud you're in the trenches taking a hit for all of us.

Being surrounded by beautiful Russian women can't be all fun - can it? :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 3
  6. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    Thank you for your support, guys! I think that actually each and everyone of you took a little part in that happening by encouraging & supporting me all that time.:2thumbs: Thanks again!
    It was an honor to represent m43 community & m43 system out there 'in the fields'. Actually, I don`t consider myself THAT good - stiill there`s a way to go in developing my skills. But since it was a great opportunity to test myself in quite difficult conditions, I`ve decided to give it a try. I guess that even if things went wrong during the show I`ll be still writing that post to share all that interesting stuff about the show.

• Like Like x 3
  7. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    Itchybiscuit Well, as for showtime - it was.) But also I was surrounded by hundreds of other people - booth staff, visitors, photographers etc. And I was really happy to communicate with them in real life.

• Like Like x 1
  8. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Living, well done mate, you are an inspiration. Keep up the good work and keep on shooting those beautiful models!! I wish I could share some of that russian beauty one day, it's itching my camera gear to caress such diafane women.

9. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Duke
    Looks like a great time man, congrats! If you're able to answer questions about the lenses I'm particularly interested in the Olympus 7-14 f2.8, would you say the size is similar to the Panasonic 7-14f4?

Thanks,
    Duke

• Like Like x 1
  10. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    It can't be as small as the Panasonic 7-14 lens which is f4.0. My guess is it's somewhere between the Panasonic 7-14/4 and Nikon 14-24/2.8 lenses.

11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Maxim, you are the living THE life mate! Keep it up!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Where do we buy a one-armed black "Olympus" dress?

• Like Like x 2
  13. BobbyTan

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    Thanks for this, as this is sweet music to my ears!

14. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Mike Barber
    Congrats! Excellent shots and presentation.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    Ulfric M Douglas I`ll do my best to answer that question ))) Gotta call guys at the Olympus to know, where they got it. )

16. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    You've got to ask why a man would want to know where to buy a one arm black dress - for his Mrs, presumably!

17. BobbyTan

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    I think you are right and I was wrong. OP said he was amazed by the size of the 7-14, as it is smaller than the 12-40. The 12-40 is almost the same size as the Panasonic 7-14 … so that would mean it is actually a bit smaller than the 7-14, which is incredible - as it is one full stop faster than the Panasonic!

OP also said the the 40-150 is about the size of the 50-200 but thinner … so presumably about 3" x 6".

And that the 300/4 is about the size of two 12-40's and approx 1.5" longer than the 40-150 … so approx 3" x 7.5".

In contrast, the Canon 600/4 lens measure 6.6" x 17.6" … weighs a freaking ton … and cost a bloody fortune!

Olympus rocks! Gotta have all 3 lenses! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  18. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    looks like fun :)

congrats :)

19. BobbyTan

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    Actually … this may be a more accurate picture and dimensions of the 4 PRO series lenses. I had forgotten that someone posted this on the internet some time back. So the 300/4 is really about half the length of the Canon 300/4 and probably about 1/3 the weight … or about the size and weight of the 70-200/2.8 lens, which makes it very hand-holdable.

• Like Like x 2
  20. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    BobbyTan That`s not accurate, believe me. I`ve seen them in person. )

Here`s freeze shot from video on YouTube where you can see all three mockups reaaly close.
    fhqmCNm.jpg

As you can see here 12-40 standing a little further from the cam and since it shot wide-angle we got an illusion of it`s lesser size compared to 7-14. But if you look closely to 17 standing near to 7-14 you`ll notice that there is a really small difference in width at focus/zoom ring area between them. Also there`s 75 next to 17 and it`s visibly thicker than 7-14. If we`re talking lens length then here`s 100% true statement - 12-40 with hood is longer than 7-14 with built-in hood. I guess it`s also 0,5 cm thicker in width. In other words I consider 7-14 really small lens for such specs.

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.