1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Featured: 'Andromeda Galaxy revisited' by aloysius

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by aloysius, Feb 26, 2014.

1. aloysius

aloysius Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Nevada City, California
    My real name is unreal
    Last July I posted my first astrophotograph, of the Andromeda Galaxy, taken with the 35-100mm f/2 zoom and the E-M5. When I acquired the new 4-lens, 4-inch (aperture) astrograph from Stellarvue, which has a focal length of 580mm and focal ratio of f/5.8, I went back to my "teaching" galaxy.

integration_90_minutes_DBE_HT_LR_flipped-XL.

At 580mm on a Four Thirds chip, the galaxy fills the FOV - I could barely squeeze M31 (Andromeda) in on the diagonal. Seeing wasn't great, but the stars are small and round, so the iOptron ZEQ25, with autoguiding using PHD, tracked very well. And the Stellarvue SVQ 100 astrograph (a telescope optimized for astrophotography with a flatter field than telescopes intended for visual astronomy) is a fantastic lens! One can even make out a couple dust lanes in M110, the small satellite galaxy to the lower right of M31 in this image.

This image is composed of 45 2-minute subs, corrected with dark frames, flat frames and bias frames before integration then stretching, all in PixInsight. Then I tweaked the integrated, stretched image in Lightroom.

The E-M5 has a superb chip for "DSLR" astrophotography, IMHO. It's not the same as using a cooled, CCD astrocam, but noise in individual subs is well controlled. Oly seems to subtract a dark "floor" before writing the raw ORF file, which I'd rather do myself in PixInsight, but maybe I could do no better.

I've tried the E-M1 for astro too. It is an improvement over the E-M5 in ergonomics and, I read, has better high-ISO performance with its Panasonic chip, in conventional photography. However 2-minute and longer subexposures are noisier than the E-M5, especially in color noise. I had hoped to use the WiFi ability of the E-M1 in astro, but I'm sticking with the E-M5 because I feel that the Sony sensor is better for this purpose.

In fact, I'm so impressed with the E-M5 sensor that I ordered the E-PL5, with the same sensor and articulated screen, to dedicate as an astrocam. I plan to have it modded by replacing the UV-IR filter on the chip with a Baader filter that passes more of the deep red hydrogen-alpha band, which will be better for imaging emission nebulae.

[Moved here from our new Astrophotography forum. -Amin]

• Like Like x 64
  2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Picture is broken.

Edited: Using Chrome on Windows.

3. aloysius

aloysius Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Nevada City, California
    My real name is unreal
    Huh. It works on my Mac running Safari. Anyone else have problems seeing the image?

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    'Fraid so. No image there, and if it's an improvement on your first Andromeda I'd certainly like to see it!
    There does seem to be a sensible URL listed but opening as a new tab just gives a blank page (just clicking on it is ignored).
    Could it be that the linked jpg has restricted access?

5. aloysius

aloysius Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Nevada City, California
    My real name is unreal
    Dang. Here's another try. The image shows in preview before posting.

6. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Not showing up in Tapatalk - still.

Sent from my iPhone

7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Neither effort shows up on Chrome + Win here.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I can't see it either.

9. aloysius

aloysius Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Nevada City, California
    My real name is unreal
    I'm getting inconsistent and changing behavior when viewing with Safari or Firefox running under Mavericks, both at Smugmug and here. I've always been able to see the image I posted in Safari. The first time I tried to view the forum post with Firefox after you all couldn't see it, I could not see it either. Using Firefox to view my Smugmug gallery gave weird and inconsistent views.

However, suddenly the view on Smugmug using Firefox became normal, and I could see my image here using Firefox. I don't know why, and I don't know if anyone else can see the image now. I've sent a message to Smugmug help. This is the first problem of this type I've had in 10 years with Smugmug.

Can you see my image now?

10. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    I can't see it using Chrome and Windows 7.

11. Larry H-L

Larry H-L Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Ohio, USA
    Larry
    Nothing for me either, on a Mac with Mavericks, tried both Firefox and Safari.

Firefox shows nothing, Safari shows a question mark in a little blue box.

12. aloysius

aloysius Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Nevada City, California
    My real name is unreal
    I apologize for having to work out this issue in front of you all. It's difficult when I can't see the problem on my own confuser, but I have found other display issues that I'm working with Smugmug that are probably related. Here's another try at posting the Andromeda image, using Firefox instead of Safari. As always, the preview looks correct before hitting the Submit button.

• Like Like x 7
  13. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Still no for me. Perhaps a link to smugmug inthe meantime, sowe can all ooh and ahh while you work this out ? :)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

14. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I'm viewing via Chrome and iMac and all images are showing up :confused:

15. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I'm now getting all of them.
    Excellent images well worth the effort.

I MUST try stacking myself (I downloaded deep sky stacker years ago but have yet to try it)

16. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    IMpressive shot.

17. aloysius

aloysius Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Nevada City, California
    My real name is unreal
    Thank you for hanging in there through the image posting difficulties. It should be worked out now. Evidently I fell into the cracks between Legacy Smugmug and New Smugmug.

This image is my best effort at astrophotography yet. My new E-PL5 arrived moments ago. Now I'll send it to be modded for more sensitivity to H-alpha. The Andromeda galaxy has stellar nurseries in the spiral arms that are visible only in the deep red of H-alpha. I'll try for those, but Andromeda is nearing the end of the season when it is visible in our night skies so I may have to move on to other targets until next year.

18. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    All I can say is wow! Great image.

19. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    Wow! Terrific image. Thanks for all the time it took to finally get it up. Now I can see every try you made including the very first one.

20. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    OK, loving it now! (Although using OSX and Safari at the moment).

It certainly is an extraordinary and beautiful image.