1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Feature suggestion re: adding images to threads

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by robbie36, Dec 30, 2014.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    2 features that would be very useful especially considering this is a photo forum

1) Upload of photos directly into a reply from computer. DPR has this and it is very useful and saves a lot of time.

2) Also DPR has a feature that you can upload virtually any sized photo - all photos only appear as a certain size in the thread but can be 'double-clicked' to see full image size.

• Like Like x 1
  2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Because Amin has closed the "major site changes" thread, which served as a good "how mu-43 could be improved" de facto thread (why isn't there a sticky for site improvement suggestions under Help and Feedback Forum?), I will post here my one big wish:

A Better Tool for Uploading Images. The dpreview forums tool is a good model, where one can upload images directly from one's own PC or from the internet, with the one tool. And it has no intermediate 'upload to this site first' step: one can upload directly from one's own PC.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I merged the two posts above because they were of the same topic.

Currently it is possible to add images direcly to a post using attachments (paperclip icon). The main problem is that space is limited and each member only has 25MB for attachments (subscribing members have 125MB). That is separate from the storage allotment for each member in the Gallery (100MB, 200MB for subscribing members).

• Like Like x 1
  4. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    On a related issue, the Manage Attachments feature has been behaving differently for me in the last several days.
    When I attach an image to a post, the image appears twice,
    once inline like it is supposed to and a second time in a box labeled "Attached Images".
    I haven't been posting because of this glitch but will post one here now as an example.

5. spdavies

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    attachment.php?attachmentid=39893&stc=1.
    Olympus E-M1 | O12-40 2.8

Attached Files:

6. spdavies

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    What is causing the second image?
    Is it a change in the forum or a change in my settings somehow?
    And how do I get rid of it?
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    LOL . That drove me nuts too. It shows that the system is non-intuitive.

8. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    The DPReview picture uploader uses non web standard code which is unreliable. I think it was developed just for Internet Explorer and cludged to work with other browsers. Don't go there!

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    This is a known bug with the latest version of the forum software we use, but I will try to fix it.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)

I've enabled similar functionality here now. Just click the Insert Image button and you can upload an image of any size from the computer. Due to storage constraints I can't host the full res versions for each image, so they will be downsized to 1024px wide if larger than that to begin with.

2015-02-04_2043.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Test upload of 17.9MB full-res JPEG:

DSC06466.

12. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Let me try it!

....okay, it failed. IMG_0023.

'Click here to upload' causes nothing to happen but an indefinite pause, for me.

13. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    What the??? :eek: ^^^above^^^ :blush:

Well all's well that ends well, I suppose, but the process looked like it wasn't working while I went through it. :hmmm:

14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Where is this image stored? Is it the attachment store or the gallery store?

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There's a percentage indicator in the bottom left corner of the browser while you upload. I'd like to make it a progress bar, but it's not easy to do that.

Attachment storage. Each member has enough attachment storage to upload around 400-800 images this way depending on image size. Subscribing members have double that, and I am planning to increase it soon.

• Like Like x 1