"Fear on the Pier" at Pier 94, NYC (Video)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by digitalandfilm, Oct 29, 2012.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Being prior law enforcement, I now do investigations and event security.

The reason I bring this up is, >as photographers< there is a mother lode of photo opportunities at these venues!

Among Prohibited Items are "interchangable, Pro Cameras".

Specifically, SLR's and DSLR's that "look" professional (to screening guards) and if they don't look professional- you can bring them in. As a Supervisor- if it isn't a huge camera with a zoom, I will allow it.

This weekend we had "Fear on the Pier" and we had ~8k folks come for the music, lazers, etc. I had a few quick opportunities to squeeze off some quick videos and snap shots.

I would venture to say that virtually "all" mirrorless camera's would be allowed (but keep the lenses short) as well as high-end point & shoots. Leicas and other high-end cameras would also get by.. gaffers tape over the red dot!

The crowd for these raves are a very jolly bunch.. unlike the hip-hop crowds, so they won't usually mind photo's.. most are oblivious to it, anyway. A healthy dose of "Molly" (100% pure Ecstasy) make them more prone to hug you anyway.

As to the costumes- there were some winners (understatement!)

This New Years I will be there with a "non-pro" camera for sure. :biggrin:

004 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Knife Party | The Haunted House Tour @ Pier 94 NYC (Trailer) - YouTube

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I like the 2nd one a lot. The first one is problematic, for me. The subject is in shadow, and the much brighter background draws the eye away. And the entire background is so busy it's hard to focus on the main subject even when I try to.
  3. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Oh.. those are just iphone shots I took.. I was very busy all night!