1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

FD Tilt Shift options/help

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by esnift, Apr 21, 2015.

1. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    I have an ongoing project where the selective focus control of a Tilt/Shift lens would be ideal and rather than getting a pricey purpose built lens and going full frame, I'd like to use an adapter for some manual FD lenses. Surprisingly, after doing some moderate googling, I find myself without a solution. It seems there have been a few FD-m4/3 TS adapters made in the past, but right now I can only find EOS-m4/3 adapters.

So my two questions to those with knowledge on the subject are:

1. Does anyone have or know where to find an FD-m4/3 tilt/shift adapter, or even just a shift adapter. (I've seen an Italian manufacturer, but he's a bit pricey and I'm not sure he still makes the FD model).

2. Would it be feasible to use the EOS- m4/3 TS adapter and sandwich a FD-EOS adapter between that and the lens?

2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

I've got one of those from that Italian guy, but mine doesn't shift. I've sort of abandoned that with FD and now only use OM, fortunately I have both OM and FD (I started on FD, moved over to OM to use it on my EOS and my F-I-Ls fourThrids cameras and then rebought an OM-1 for film as full frame)

For what its worth I've found that the main benefits are with tilt anyway as shift can be effectively done with software ... and I've tested the bejezzuz out of it myself to satisfy myself that I'm as happy with that).

PS:

FD is a shorter focal flange distance than EOS (which is why FD lenses died in the arse, as they can't be used on EOS without an optical element adapter) so unless you're using them for macro you'll end up with an effective short extension tube.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  3. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    1) They do exist on eBay, but you'll pay $150.

2) Not really... the FD=>EOS adapter adds glass. There aren't any well regarded ones.

3) What about the FD tilt-shift lens? Pricey, but will probably work better than an adapter.

4. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    Yeah, tilt is what I'm primarily looking for. So the Fd adapter you have is tilt only? Was there anything you didn't like about it? Do you still have it? :D

5. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    I wasn't actually able to find any on eBay :frown:

FD native tilt/shift is an option, but I'm just trying to find a cheap workaround.

6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    arr ... sorry if my post was ambiguous.

I started on FD lenses, could not find any tilt adapters (I started long ago before there were *any* tilt adapters, and as far as I know I wrote the first online proposal for that idea back in May 2009 on my blog (here) and lots of armchair zombiesOfMoronity dribbled forth how it wasn't even possible (despite my images of my mungup freestyle adapter).

Eventually that Italian fella made one for OM, and so as a result of a complete dearth of adapters in other mounts (and a penchant for GAS) I moved over into buying more OM stuff (I'd already started with an OM300f4.5).

So hopefully this fills in the blanks.

Bottom line is I've only seen these for OM, Nikon, EOS, Pentax K and Yashica ...

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I assume you mean in FD mount ... using (tilt adapter m43) will give heaps

8. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    Yeah, FD-m4/3 tilt adapter seems to be a dead end, but at least now I know. Thanks for your replies pellicle and edmsnap.

9. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    • Like Like x 1