1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

FD Mount - should I?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by redington, Apr 30, 2012.

1. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    I have an e-pm1 on the way from Cameta. It's my first ILC since my AE-1 Program. I am very short on money. I ordered the epm1 with the kit 14-42. I'd love to add a faster lens To the party. I have the canon 50mm 2.8 that came with the ae1. Is it worth it to get the FD mount? I have a couple of other nondescript FD lenses I could play around with. If not, what are my other options for under $75 or so?

I appreciate any advice.

2. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    You should get an adapter and start playing with some of your FD lenses. Legacy glass is a great way to get enjoy shooting in m4/3rds and there's a lot of great inexpensive FD glass out there. Adapters brought my favorite FD lenses back from the grave, I mean closet.

3. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Agreed, and an FD mount adapter shouldn't cost you much money anyway. Could probably pick one up plus another lens for $75.

An FD 50mm f/1.4 SSC was probably the first lend I got after the P20. Love the look of legacy glass, just dislike the weight for every day use.

4. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Wow, thanks for the quick replies! I like the idea of using these lenses. I'm kind of astonished by how much the native lenses are going for. I know that there's good reason for it, but I'm happy to try going a different way.

5. everythingsablur

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Don't get me wrong; I personally wouldn't trade my native glass for adapted legacy glass (unless someone gave me a cache of Leica lenses) any day, but shooting old MF glass can be a lot of fun and is a great learning experience. Also nice to see some interesting photographic characteristics imparted by some old glass. Good times.

6. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    I'm working out a purchase of a 50mm f1.8 for $10 right now. I hope it's in ok shape...

7. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
  8. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

I'm really enjoying my FD lenses on my E-M5. Favorites so far are the 50/1.4 and 135/2.5. Really surprised by the 70-210 zoom as well. Some of the other FD lenses I'm not so taken with. Price is right on them these days. I have a mint 50/1.8 that I haven't tried yet, but expect it will be a good one as well. Next purchase will be something a bit wider.

9. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    I have a lot of FD fit lenses. They are usually built well, so will last. They have a nice characteristic to the images you get from them. And the best part is, they usually cost a little less than other makes. I adore my 28mm f2.8 for video work as it has the SSC coating that gives you a real warm finish to the images. I really don't think you will be dissapointed in giving MF lenses a go, and FD Lenses are a great place to start.

10. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    My epm1 showed up yesterday. I like it, but I'm not thrilled with the low-light performance on the kit lens. Will I see significant improvement on the adapted canon fd 50/1.8? I don't think the fd mount is returnable and I am very poor at the moment and don't want to nnedlessly throw money at a problem.

11. everythingsablur

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Considering the FD 50/1.8 is a whole 2 stops brighter than the kit lens, you will see improved low light performance.

What do you find to be the issue with the kit lens and E-PM1? Slow to focus, can't get focus, overall too dark, poor ISO performance, ...?

Here's a picture I took with my GF1 and FD 50/1.4 SSC a couple years back. Other than manually focusing it, I think it did really well (if it's out of focus, it's me). We were waiting for a table at a Texas Roadhouse, so it was pretty dark other than the TVs, neon signs by the bar, and the sparse overhead lanterns. Gave the shot a nice colour.
    <a href="http://500px.com/photo/6813277"> 4. "3 Generations by Patrick Cuyegkeng (everythingsablur) on 500px.com" border="0" style="margin: 0 0 5px 0;"></a><br/>

12. jamawass

jamawass Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I just won a canon 28mm 2.8 on Ebay and ordered an adapter on Amazon for $50 total. Inexpensive way to experiment with legacy glass and I'm looking forward to it.

13. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Pardon my ignorance on terminology - I'm a noob. It comes down to my inability to stay still enough to get an in-focus shot. I've experiment with different scene settings and different aperture settings. I'm assuming that a lower f stop number will help with this.

14. everythingsablur

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    A lower f-stop (aka wider aperture) will allow more light to come into the camera, which will allow you to use a faster shutter speed given the same ISO relative to your kit lens. Faster shutter speed will be less reliant on Image Stabilization, and less susceptible to your own movement. So yes, if your problem is that the exposures are too long for you to comfortably handhold, then a brighter lens would help.

You could also consider a tripod, or at the very least, resting your camera on something solid to provide enough stability to get a clean exposure.

Consider your shooting technique as well, and how you hold the camera. Pull your elbows into your body, almost resting them on your stomach to almost create two legs of a tripod. If you can also lean against something, great. Take a deep breath and hold it while your release the shutter. My shot above was on a GF1 with legacy glass, so there was no IS at all. IS isn't going to save you if the exposure the camera is going to take is ridiculously long, so barring the above, also consider pushing up your ISO (at the cost of more noise).

15. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Great, thanks!

16. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Has anyone tried any of the $12 mounts on eBay? They look ok, I don't know that they're any different than the $23 mounts on Amazon.

17. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    One difference being that the ebay ones ship free and may take 2-3 weeks from China while the $23 amazon ones have a few bucks in shipping and take a week or less.

This FD adapter splits the difference at $19 and shipped out of NY.
    Canon FD FL Lens To Micro M43 M4/3 4/3 Mount Adapter panasonc G1X Gf3 GF2 GF1 G3 | eBay

I have bought an adapter from this Big_IS guy. I was in no hurry. It took 3 weeks.
    New Canon FD Lens to Micro 4/3 m4/3 M43 Mount Camera Adapter for G1 G2 E-P1 EP2 | eBay

The quality control for any of these, Amazon, ebay, Fotodiox website, is not going to be great. Often, the dimensions are off, but they still work. Once in a while, you get a bummer.

18. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Cool. Te probably worth it to buy from someone domestic to make it easier to return if I happen to get a dud. I'll check out that $19 part. Thanks!

19. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I can recommend FD (and all other type) adapters from an eBay seller ciecio7. Very well made, machined from a single piece of aluminium (when possible). He ships worldwide. I have his regular FD->u43 adapter and it works perfectly. The price is OK as well (used to be cheaper though). He also has a version of the FD adapter that has a tripod bracket! Perfect for bigger lenses. I've had lots of fun with FD on my mu43kit, especially 50/1.4, 28/2.8, 24/2.8 and 100/4 macro. I've recently bought a 20-35L for my FD body but on mu43 this is a standard not wideangle so a bit pointless - but might also give nice results. There's an abundance of FD kit on eBay - and you can get bodies very cheap, in fact this is how I got back to analog photography - bought the 50/1.4 for my E-P2 with a body stuck to it :)

20. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2011
    I really like fd glass as well. I have the kit 14-42 as well as my fd lenses and I have found I can do just about anything I have the ability and technique to do. My lenses and cameras aren't a limitation.

I love using my ae1 program still though and my fd lenses are primarily for that. I use the 50/1.4 and 135/2.8 the most when adapted. I use the 50/1.4 and 28/2.8 mostly native on the canon. I am also rather poor(college student) and my nicer lenses have taken me a while to acquire.

Here is one I took with my fd 135/2.8 on my G1.

P1100608.

and here is a 50/1.8 pic on the g1.

P1050249.