fd m43 adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by trustkill24, Sep 23, 2011.

1. trustkill24

trustkill24 New to Mu-43

Aug 19, 2011
    Austria
    hi, hope somebody can help me.. i bought a cheap adapter from ebay hk.. i cant attach it.. the red marks are there.. but when i try to screw it in it is stuck.. insertion is possible but no turning.. i had several adapters before (kipon) and wanted to try a cheap one.. i dont know shall i post the link what NOT to buy?
    any idea would be helpful.. i will not risk to ruin my lovely white e-p3..
    btw great forum.. everyday enjoyable
    roland

2. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I also just got a cheapy Chinese ltm to micro 4/3 adaptor which will not even go in all the way, much less turn. Mine looks like I may be able to file down some spots and make it work, but not sure. I figure this is just what you can end up with when paying 6 euro postage free. No QC. Caveat emptor and all that... For me it is not worth pursuing for such a small amount, but I think I will probably stick mostly to European resellers in the future, even for the cheaper ones.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

3. Bcostin

Bcostin Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2010
    I have an FD adapter, purchased off ebay. It's fiddly, but that's partly due the nature of the FD mount.

The adapters actually work a lot like the older Canon FL mount breechlock lenses. You have to line up the red dots on the adapter and the lens, and then turn the cuff on the adapter to lock them together.

And apologies if this is something you both already know.

4. G1user

G1user Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2011
    Oldham UK
    A bit obvious this but is the adaptor set in the open position?

5. dayou14

dayou14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Yes, adapter not set to open position, or FD lens not set to 'open' are possibilities.

I have problems all-round with FD. I will write up a post later if it's not resolved.

Right now, I'm leaning towards selling all my FD gear...

Bian

6. lannes

lannes Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    Can you show us the back and front of your adaptor

7. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I would not do that over a cheap adapter. I buy the cheap fotodiox adapters on Amazon and they work fine. Focus scale is off but they do focus to (and past) infinity.

I attach one to each lens and keep it there. If you practice, the attachment process is not to bad but it is easy to get the aperture ring adjuster on the wrong side of the little lever (The pin needs to go on the flat side).

Attaching to the camera should be easy. If not, you simply have a bad adapter.

8. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    FD adapters can be tricky. Mine is a the usual made-in-chiner unit off ebay

Assuming my made-in-chiner adapter is like the OP's, just make sure the 'open-lock" ring on the adapter, if there is one, is set to "open." Then the adapter should drop right onto the lens and you turn the knurled ring on the lens to lock the adapter. The adapter has to seat properly before the lens ring will turn.

If the adapter ring is set to "lock", the adapter will not drop onto the lens. You can still mount it this way, but you have to do it with a little twist motion and it's too hard to describe w/o pictures. Put it on "open".

9. trustkill24

trustkill24 New to Mu-43

Aug 19, 2011
    Austria
    connection of adapter and lens works smoothly anyway.. but connection of adapter and e-p3 is impossible for me.. another 2 weeks wait but ordered kipon again .. :)

10. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I think Canon FD glass is the most convenient when it comes to use on Micro 4/3 and other mirrorless cameras.

You can focus wide open and then quickly stop the lens down to the preset aperture with one turn of the Lock/Open ring.

This is much more convenient than other adapted lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    For those considering purchasing an FD adapter, I have a Rainbow branded adapter from Amazon. It was inexpensive, and works fine.

To the OP, some pics of your adapter and a little more detail would help us evaluate your problem.

12. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Maybe they shipped you a NEX or NX100 adapter instead of an M4/3 adapter?

13. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I also have a Rainbow adapter and it works fine with FD and FL lenses.