FD lenses on m4/3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by indysteve, Feb 5, 2013.

1. indysteve

indysteve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    how do i set up my pm1 to use FD manual focus lenses? i know i need the adapter.
  2. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    If you want image stabilisation then this needs to be set manually for each lens. You will need to choose the aperture otherwise the camera will meter and operate as normal.
  3. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    I'm sure that there's a long how-to thread on here somewhere. You need to buy an adaptor. Some are better than others. I get by with a $20 adaptor, but would have preferred the one from ceici or something like that on eBay who promises accurate focusing at infinity (mine gets blurry when set to focus to infinity and have to dial it back). Then you set your camera to A mode and go from there.
  4. pzlo

pzlo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Ditto at what Redington said. My experiences with a cheap adaptor is the difficulty in focus on stars for astrophotography.
  5. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    Is this unique to FD mounts? I've used Fotodiox for minolta and olympus mounts w/o infinity focus problems. I did just have a minolta 100mm 2.5 that would not focus @long distances including infinity. I returned it thinking it was a problem w/lens.
    I just got a vivitar(komine) 90mm 2.8 w/FD mount. I'm just wondering. I need to get an adapter for it.
  6. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
  7. indysteve

indysteve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    fd lenses

thanks for info. do you double focal length to get 35mm equivalent as you do m4/3 lenses? i'm pretty much a rookie on these matters.
  8. Bob T

Bob T Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2012
    Carol Stream, IL
  9. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    The focal length is effectively doubled, but set the image stabilization to the original 35mm focal length, not the doubled one. So if its a legacy 50mm lens, set it to 50, not 100.
  10. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The biggest deal in setup is to program your REC button for Magnify. That's pretty easy.

This means a switch to video mode is needed for video. Also, the magnify doesn't work in video mode, so if using MF lenses and you want magnification, you do it before changing the mode.
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    <b>Menu => Button/Dial => Button Function => (Magnifying Glass)</b>

With a manual lens P mode is the same as A mode with a native lens. M mode is still M mode. You won't need the other two modes (S is like M without a meter, and A is pretty much useless).

If you need to shoot anything fast or in bright sun, I suggest getting an EVF (the VF-2 or VF-3 will work, but the VF-2 is better). If manually focusing action, you won't be able to use the Magnify function to get that perfect focus, but the EVF will give you a sharp enough view that you can find focus without any magnification aid just as well as on an OVF. If you have time to magnify and focus, then either EVF or back LCD will work. If shooting outdoors in bright sunlight, you will pretty much need the EVF or a screen shade no matter which method you use to focus.