FD Adapters

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Grinch, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    So I picked up a canon FD 28mm f2.8 SC FOR $15 today, and came home to order the adapter and noticed there are two styles. How do I know if it's a breech lock or not?

2. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    The breech lock will be a chrome colored ring you twist to lock the lens to the camera. The bayonet lock will be black with a chrome button on it and you twist the whole lens to lock it. I don't think it matters what type of lock you have as the adapter should work with both.

About halfway down on the link below will be pictures of both mounts with breech lock on the left.
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/earlyfdlenses/index.htm

That's a pretty good price for the 28mm f/2.8 by the way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The adapters will work regardless of whether it is a breech-lock FD or bayonet new FD.

Using the same adapter:

FD lens

new FD lens

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Thanks for the info, it is a breech lock. I went to rainbow imaging on eBay and it showed three adapters for FD mount, one listed it was for new style mount, one stated it was for breech lock and the third didn't state anything in the description.
    Yeah, I was stoked at finding it for $15, plus I picked up a canon EF 50mm 1.8 II for $10 for my brother. He won't do m43, he loves my camera but his wife made him buy a T2i because my camera is just a toy according to her. It still kills me every time I say that.
    I should ask her if hers is the toy, since the lenses are so cheap! Lol

5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    That's what I thought, but was thrown by description of adapters on rainbow imagings site. Rather be cautious then order, wait a week, get it, find out it's wrong, and then start the process over.
    Should be done with adapters for a while now, have m42,minolta,OM,and canon all on order. Picked up three lenses today, the sweetest being a rokkor 58mm f1.2 PG for a song.Now I just have to stare at them for a week. This is worse than pre-ordering, cause it's in my hands but won't mount. Oh the agony.

Thanks for the quick responses.

6. Maybe some free-lensing to pass the time?

7. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    On a related note - what is the ON/OFF's purpose on the adapter? I don't pay much attention to it, but I get nice images. Just curious though.

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Yeah I do three-lensing, I mean free-lensing all the time...trifocals.

9. The ring on the adapter engages the aperture pin, although on mine it is marked LOCK & OPEN. The OPEN position is for mounting and dismounting the lens. If the ring is not set to LOCK after mounting the lens it will shoot wide-open regardless of the aperture setting.

• Like Like x 2