Favourite Lens Review Site?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by D@ne, Mar 19, 2012.

1. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Are there any preferred review sites or blogs? From the lot that I've seen, I appreciate Lenstip.com the most...mostly because they tend to break things down and offer an easier read for someone like me who doesn't understand all the technicalities (yet). I have no affiliation with them, just a personal preference.

Favourites? I'm wondering I've been missing any of them.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I had a set with Canon lenses. A bit still split with m43. Lenstip. Photozone.de. SLRgear.com. I think those are probably the 3 I use most. Also, of course, posting and asking on boards like mu-43.com.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. fgbrault

fgbrault Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I like Photozone the best. Very thorough tests. Thanks for the reference to Lenstip.com. I just went there and their reviews look to be excellent.

Micro Four Thirds Lens Tests
  4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    There was an issue a little while back with one site -- possibly PhotoZone -- where the reviewers insisted that the only valid way to test m4/3 lenses was without the digital distortion correction. I think they backed away from that, but I don't remember which site it was exactly. I remember coming away from the discussion with a bad taste in my mouth for those reviewers...
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I think I do remember it being Photozone. They tested the lenses, but wouldn't rate them with their star ranking. I believe they have backed away from that, as many vendors are now doing sw correction.
  6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    For native lenses I go to photozone.de, dpreview.com, slrgear.com. For older lenses I often stumble on reviews by googling on the lens model and "review" and by comparing several reviews you generally get a good idea on what a lens is worth.
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The problem is that a lens test website is primarily interested in lens performance, not lens+digital processing performance. However, photozone now does test both with and without correction.

Lenstip still runs its tests without correction. The tends to give them slightly better sharpness numbers, but dramatically worse distortion numbers. Of course it is interesting to know that our standard zooms and wide-angle primes are actually moderate fisheye lenses...

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    photozone.de talk to Klaus.
  9. fgbrault

fgbrault Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    With a RAW converter that does not correct for distortion you can take "advantage" of the distortion if you want.