1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Favorite native lens to pull focus with

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by klee, Jun 18, 2013.

1. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    as subject states. I love filming with adapted lenses because pulling focus with the mechanical focus ring is such a pleasure.

I'm now on the hunt for a native lens with good AF performance for stills that allows pulling focus for video a delight.

I'm interested in any focal length.

2. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    The new Sigma ART-series manual focus is silky snooth.

3. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

The SMC Takumar 55 f2 has a LONG focus throw which is optimal for video. Focus is also very smooth and a pleasure.

4. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    Isn't that an Adapted lens?

5. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

My apologies! I obviously did not read the thread title all that well. So far its a wash for me. The focus-by-wire doesn't exactly feature many differences between lenses. But I should have an SLR Magic 12mm soon, so hopefully that'll be great to focus.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No AF native lens is going to be as good as an adapted lens BECAUSE they use focus-by-wire. This is an electronic focus using the same focus motor as the AF system but with input from the ring. It has NO stop for closest focus or infinity. One of my complaints of m4/3 is the FBW lenses. The Olympus 12mm and new 17mm have different type of focus ring that I believe is mechanical when in manual mode, but I am not sure.

7. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    i heard the 17 had a distance scale... was hoping there were other lenses like this out there

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Olympus 12mm and the 17mm f1.8 both have focus scales. The ring pulls back to allow manual focus and since they have scales it must be a mechanical focus system. Can somebody who owns one confirm that the system is mechanical and that there are stops at closest and infinity focus!

Why Olympus choose not to put this feature on the 45mm and the 75mm is beyond me! These are both high level lenses, in fact these two are considered the sharpest lenses in m4/3, along with the Pan. 25mm and the Voigtlanders. I know I would love my 45mm so much more if it had a better manual focus ring!

9. sammaritan12

sammaritan12 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2012
    You can't really have both. If you want the best manual focus you can get the SLR Magics and the Voigtlanders but if you also want AF you are limited to the 12mm and the 17mm.