1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Favorite m4/3 accessories?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by LisaO, Mar 23, 2010.

1. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    What are some of your favorite m 4/3 accessories? Lenses, adaptors, bags, straps, filters etc. I just got my m 4/3 gear and was wondering what people really like using.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Other than the 20 or 17 w/finder on my Pen 1, a Luigi wrist strap is all I need.

3. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Not the most exciting accessory, but one thats almost made for m4/3 :) Recently got the Optech Accessory bag, its perfect for a couple of lenses, filters, cables etc. This is perfect if your taking out a "normal non-camera" bag out, you can chuck this tiny case in there and know everything is safe.

P1020237-Export_resize.

P1020238-Export_resize.

• Like Like x 3
  4. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    I've found a memory card to be an indispensable accessory. (A computer running Gimp is a big help too.)

I think lenses and adapters have been done to death in other threads.

My G1 has a cheap (neck) strap. I find that what are now the cheapest (or nearly so) are very well designed and are light. More often than not I use it as a wrist strap: it's very rare that I have the thing dangling from my neck or a shoulder, but on occasion it's useful to be able to do so.

Actually when I use a wrist strap (as I do for another camera) I rarely have the camera hanging from my wrist. Instead, I'm holding the camera, and the strap is a kind of insurance for what might happen to the camera if I sneezed or whatever. That being so, when I have a wrist strap it's the lightest, least pretentious thing that will hold the weight of the camera.

5. Richard W

Richard W Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    Sydney Australia
    I recently bought a Sun Sniper Camera Strap/Sling and it has certainly proved both useful and versatile (assuming you are not wearing a backpack).

• Like Like x 1
  6. kilofox

kilofox Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2010
    Western Michigan, US
    #1 ... Get a spare battery. There's nothing worse than having the perfect light, perfect setting, perfect subject matter and having a dead or almost dead battery.

7. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Yep spare battery and spare memory is a MUST for all photographers

8. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I like the optech accessory case. They make nice reasonably priced gear.

In my less than 1 week I have found the m 3/4 cameras to be wrist strap cameras though I have always used neck straps with SLR, DSLR and RF cameras.

I was also wondering if some adapters are better than others, some to stay away from, stuff like that.

Thanks so far.

9. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I only have experience of one camera adapter so cannot pass comment as to which ones are good and which might not be so good, however I think any adapter ranks as my favourite accessory, it turns a :43: camera into the most versatile digital system (assuming you are into legacy lenses) yet devised.

Barrie

Panasonic G1 and GF1, 20mm, f1.7, 45mm, f2.8, micro Nikkor 55mm, f2.8
    (hopefully more legacy glass to come), when I've paid for my new prescription spectacles :frown:

10. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    I love my little Lowepro 100 Slingshot, I managed to fit 2 camera bodies & 4 lenses in it upto now, with no problems & still there hardly any weight to it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Do you have a photo of this packed? I used to have a larger slingshot but couldnt work with it as sit doesnt fit the larger Nikon gear, but they are pretty good I would think with our mini m4/3 gear

12. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Squinno leather half case for the GF1. Makes the GF1 feel like a 50's or 60's rangefinder that I'm not old enough to remember but LOVE nonetheless. Looking forward to my OM adapter for my OM glass. I like the Voightlander (?) style aluminum lens hood as well (vented).

13. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
  14. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Bam - weapon of choice as well. Works so well with my GF1 I bought one for my K-x and K20d (I hate neck straps!) - bonus to owning 3 is that I only have 2 wrists (not that I am duel-wielding cameras...) and can therefore attach the 3rd strap to my tripod for a secure hold in case I lose my grip or don't tighten the clamp on my ballhead.

15. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    For m4/3 stuff it's spot on

As pic was taken with G1 it not in the slingshot, but you can see were it goes

Basically it's G1 with 14-45mm fitted
    GF1 with 20mm fitted at the top
    Bottom part is the 45-200mm
    And middle section is the Ultron

The GF1 EVF sit on top of the GF1.

• Like Like x 1
  16. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    I didn't like the charger that came with my E-P2. Too bulky for traveling with that long cord. Always liked chargers with a flip-out connector rather than a separate cord. This one also has a USB port so I can charge my iPod with the same charger.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LJJVK4

-Thomas

17. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

18. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Looks perfect! Especially for when I finally get a G1.

Thanks for that.

19. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    No probs Craig, also the thing i like about Lowepro bags is the weatherproof cover, it about the closest thing to fully weathersealed you can get without paying silly money.

20. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

Resurrection of a post....

I think the best accessory I've got is Cargo pants or shorts...

I can fit the camera with lens and finder in one pocket and a gorilla pod and battery in the other. An extra SD card in my fifth pocket and when I get another lens it will fit easily in the same pocket with the gorilla pod.

This position may change soon when the camera connection kit is released for the iPad.

• Like Like x 1