Favorite GF1 w/ 20mm lens case?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by digital_grrl79, Jun 28, 2011.

1. digital_grrl79

digital_grrl79 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 27, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    I'm looking to purchase a leather case to keep my GF1 safe and I would love to find out which leather cases that include the part that go over the lens are best for it (while keeping the 20mm lens on it). Any have a favorite?
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    None that also covers the lens. But for half cases (in case you are also considering them), I highly recommend the Aki-Asahi ones.

Aki-Asahi Camera Coverings

I have one for the EP2, and it is super nice.
  3. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    I have the one made by Panasonic. Pricy, but well made and fits well. It also improves the grip quite a lot.

Model numbers: DMW-CGB1-K, DMW-CGL1-K
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dmc

dmc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2011
    Does this case interfere with the controls in any way?
  5. rpress

rpress Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
  6. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    The controls, no. But you cannot open the side door and the bottom door. There's no tripod mount either.
  7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
  8. digital_grrl79

Jun 27, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone :]
  9. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    I have the Ebay full case and it covers both body and 20mm lens and is retained by a thumbscrew into the tripod mount thread. It is the traditional two piece case design that was common on rangefinder cameras, sometimes called a field case. It is well made and nicely finished with a red velvet like lining. It comes from China and you get it in a couple of weeks.
  10. hillwalkinggirl

hillwalkinggirl Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2011
    I bought one for my GF1 and I hate it. It's been sent to the back of the cupboard. When togging I often take the card out and load it on to my laptop so I can see exactly what the photo is like. This is impossible with the cover on as you have to remove it to get the card out.
    The half case does help to protect the LCD screen but that is all it is really useful for. My advice is save your money. I have made myself a neoprene slip pouch like the Optech one, but mine only cost me a pound as I bought a neoprene knee support from the pound shop and made it out of that.
  11. ashatron

ashatron Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    Apex 60 AW -

It was as if the case was made for the GF1 + 20mm. i.d be surprised if you found a better case.

the thread title did not say leather, sorry and good luck finding a leather case :)
  12. digital_grrl79

Jun 27, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    No worries, I'm glad I didn't specify leather in the title so I could see your case suggestion. It looks like a great case to protect the GF1 + 20mm lens :2thumbs:
  13. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    Well, if non-leather is ok then one like this from manfrotto might be worth considering.

Manfrotto Nano III Camera Pouch Black - Advanced Point and Shoot

i just got one for my GF2 + 14mm. It's a fairly snug fit so a GF1 +20mm might struggle. There's a bigger size but it's really made for Canon G12 or similar, so might not be the right shape.

Reasonably heavy nylon. not heaps of padding but enough for me. The thing I like is that I can stuff this one in my pocket when i'm using the camera. and it was dirt cheap..around $10
  14. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
  15. benjie

benjie Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    I find this lens case from Lowepro ideal for my GF1 with 20mm lens.

Lowepro - Lens Case 1N

Well padded with room for a spare battery. I attach the camera's neck strap to the case and a wrist strap to the camera.

And best of all it's cheap!
  16. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

Will it work with the GF3 you think, i just bought one on amazon and it does not fit over the 20mm lens. Much obliged.
  17. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    I have a couple of lowepro bags, love them, throw over your shoulder and they dont get in the way, keep strap at length suitable for sticking hand in and grabbing camera, much easier than just a cam case.

Also most of the smaller bags dont look like cam bags, my smallest one is the Courier 80, GF1/20mm drops in easy, can even carry another lens, has pockets for cards and is very well lined. Its also one of the few small bags with a flap that velcroes down, so you can leave the zip open and just pull the flap to get the cam.
  18. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Luigi case, you won't find a nicer, quality made case.
  19. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Here is mine... My favorite one.

20. ggibson

ggibson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011