1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Favorite backpack? (No slings, no shoulder bags.)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Robbin, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Robbin

Robbin Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 1, 2016
    Hello everyone!

What is your favorite backpack for your M43? I've just gone from DSLR to M43 and now it all swims in my bag. (GX8, 15mm, 7-14, 12-35, 45mm macro)

Backpacks only as I am a curvy woman and nothing is comfortable across the front.

I love almost everything about the Think Tank Trifecta 8 but the straps are too thick, not soft and do not seem to give on my tiny frame. I will be returning it.

I really like the side access feature and sternum strap.

Thanks!

2. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Mindshift Ultralight. UltraLightâ„¢ Sprint 16L

I don't have this backpack, but you might find it interesting. Has a lot of good features. Then again, the only way you can tell if something will work is to try it out. Anyway, check out the link in this post to a full review.

Bags and more bags

I was interested in the Think Tank Trifecta because I wanted something comfortable to carry an EM1 with a Zuiko ED 50-200 SWD and 1.4x TC mounted. That's a pretty big combo, but I think it would fit in the Trifecta.

I too favor side access for the gear. I don't want to have to take the backpack off and set it on the ground to get gear out.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Welcome Robbin. There are some good options mentioned in this thread:

Daypack/Camera Bag recommendation

Maybe check out the Vanguard Up-Rise line. They have a selection of sizes and features. I think it will be tough to find a smaller backpack with side access though.

4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I use an old pacsafe backpack, slash proof and all of that jazz... I have a few camera backpacks but only use them for storage as I don't find them practical. I use one of the Olympus wrap things around the camera (I have several, they're often given away as a promotional item).

The Vanguard up-rise bags are pretty good, while you have specified no sling bags I use one of their sling models as my primary bag and find it excellent (it's now about 5 years old). I mention this because I also have a Canon branded bag which was actually made by Vanguard and is identical to one of their older models. It's a really solid bag with fiberglass panels in the walls meaning it's very rigid and reasonably crushproof (I use it for storage of film equipment).
    Basically all of my experience with their equipment has been pretty favorable.

5. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
  6. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    If you can find it ---- as Guru Gear purchased Tamrac and they are phasing out the Guru Gear brand but I have owned for some time the Uninta (I see B&H still has it) Gura Gear Uinta 30L Backpack (Black) GG50-1 B&H Photo Video . In addition to the backpack one must buy separately the top and bottom modules. Yes, all together expensive, but I will cry when mine wears out. It is the most comfortable, durable, backpack I have experienced and I've owned a lot. I carry in it (a) 2 EM-1s; (b) 40-150mm f/2.8; (c) 1.4 teleconverter; (d) 300mm f/4; (e) 12-40mm f/2.8; (f) 60mm f/2.8 macro; (g) 7-14mm f/2.8; (h) and 8mm f/1.8 fisheye; and (i) a ton of filters, batteries etc. and its so comfortable on the back.

The best part is that entry to the equipment can swing around your waist so you can enter the modules without taking off the backpack and when you lay the backpack down, the openings to the modules are face up and not on the ground. Oh, also, I can get my 13" laptop in it as well as there is a slot for that.

Not sure how long they will be around as they are not making them anymore - too bad as it is a fantastic backpack.

• Like Like x 1
  7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Just bought an F-Stop Guru on clearance. Best harness of any camera backpack I've tried-does a good job of transferring weight to hip belt.

8. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I'd also been looking at this Thule backpack. It also has side access. Although I've been keeping my eye on a photo backpack, I simply haven't bought one yet because I don't have a pressing need for one. If I was doing more photo hiking, it'd definitely become a necessity. Otherwise, I make do with one of a couple of sling bags that work OK for a light kit. But, as you said, you aren't interested in slings.

Thule Perspektiv Daypack
    by Thule
    Link: http://amzn.com/B00APQM1GU

The other thing that might interest you is a ThinkTank Turnstyle sling. Not for use as a sling, but for use as a waistpack.

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Just for camera gear or including the 10 essentials plus a decent lunch?

10. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    I use the Tamrac 5546 adventure 6. Had the 7 when I shot Nikon and when I went to Olympus, Purchased the 6. What I like about it is my camera gear fits in the bottom and I can carry hiking gear in the top part, has water bottle holders on the side and a zip compartment on the front for cards, battery and such.

11. SeanKelleher

SeanKelleher Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Melbourne
    Sean Kelleher
    Mindshift Panorama

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

12. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    After almost 2 years with my Panorama, I can't imagine using any other style of backpack.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

13. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    The F-Stop Kenti looks interesting and is currently on clearance. It has side access on both sides. Hmm... I may give it a good look.

Dang, looked too closely and ordered one. :)

I think I could put my EM1 w/50-200 on one side and lenses or EM5 w/12-40 on other side. Have room for maybe a light rain jacket and lunch or snacks in top compartment. Plus a small water bladder.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  14. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Kashmir UL - Product

One of my good friends is a shooter and bought the Kashmir UL through Kickstarter a while ago. I believe she has the bag with the small ICU for her Panasonic gear. She really likes it and says it fits her much better than most backpacks because this one was made with the female shooter in mind.

15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    F-stop, no doubt.

I own a Loka (not the UL, regular), which is my perfect sized 'compact carry backpacking' trip pack, a Satori EXP (great all-round longer trip pack with photo gear) and I've got a Guru v2 on the way since it's so very cheap right now. If I were shopping for my GF (if she wanted a backpack) I would very definitely go with the Kashmir. F-stop's bags are very well thought out, not super-light but not super-heavy, sturdy, attractive (matter of taste, but I like the aesthetic), and great modularity thanks to the ICU system.

16. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    Think Tank Street Walker or Street Walker Pro. I used mine originally for Nikon gear, but kept the bag. It fits my EM1 and set of Pro lenses with a bit of room to spare. Coupled with my travel tripod, it's a complete camera kit in a single, comfy bag.

17. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    The Mindshift Panorama looks very good and very smart.
    The only thing that I don't like (apart from the price) is the lack of dividers in the photo compartment.
    Is it easy to customize to be able to take more lenses (with dividers between them)?

18. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    It comes with 2 dividers that attach with hook and loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

19. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Yes, but 2 dividers are not enough for me.
    That makes possible to put 1 body with lens, and 2 other lenses, which is very little compared to what I take with me when I take a backpack. That would make all my primes stay at home.

m43 lenses are very small, and most bags have only dividers for big lenses.
    Sometimes it's possible to easily customize (adding dividers from other bags), sometimes not...
    If it's possible to customize this bag... I'll probably end up buying it.
    If not... then it's not for me.

20. Robbin

Robbin Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 1, 2016
    With lunch of course. :-D

• Like Like x 1