1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Faulty Panasonic 12-32mm Zoom Rings

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Levster, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I bought a new 12-32mm as part of a split kit on eBay back in August 15 and through lack of use I sold it through eBay. Unfortunately when the buyer tried to use the lens the following happened:

image.

I searched through the forum and couldn't see any threads on this, which I'm surprised at because there are a few posts on DPReview.
    The buyer returned the lens to me and I've since put it back together. With the zoom ring pushed on the zoom still works, but it feels loose and the zoom ring can be easily pulled off. I've cleaned off some horrible black grease from the underside of the zoom ring and then reattached the zoom ring using double sided tape. The zoom ring now feels pretty solid! I'll now need to find a use for the lens, a bit frustrating as the money would have been useful.

2. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
  3. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I have the 12-32 with the problem. Added a little double sided tape and it's my most used lens, hands down.

5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    It's well known, but easy to fix with tape or better glue and doesn't affect IQ in any way.
    Worse thing is that Pany depends on same glue to hold other parts of their gear: in my case that was on/off switch on GM1 camera. It was little more harder to fix due to very tiny and moving parts.

6. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    Interesting... and they are all black.

7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Probably related to temperature softening the adhesive. I haven't had any problems in the cooler NZ climate. Black has better thermal transfer properties than silver.

8. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I was the OP in one of the threads linked above. Mine came apart in the Grand Canyon when it was warm (but not real hot) and the sun was shining, so maybe it had something to do with the adhesive softening. I got Panasonic to repair it under warranty and haven't had any issues with it since. It's a great little lens in spite of the issue. Tiny, light and surprisingly sharp.

9. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    My silver 12-32 broke yesterday...
    It's one of the lenses I use the most, and I change lenses very often.
    With my E-M10, the mount is very tight, so I have to force when I put / remove the lens.

One of the problem of a very small zoom like this is when you (un)mount the lens, there is very little space to grab it, so I mostly grab it by the zoom part.
    Temporarily, I just put back the zoom ring to be able to use it.
    I have to decide between glue/tape.
    I wonder which one will last longer.

I don't know how long is panasonic warranty in Europe.
    It's supposed to be 2 years for an inherent defect ("vice caché") but if it's easy to fix, I prefer save the time to fight with Panasonic / get back my lens.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  10. RBoyle7

RBoyle7 New to Mu-43

Jul 10, 2016
    First time posting. Brand new to m34.
    My Panasonic 12-32 did exactly the same thing, zoom ring came off. I put it back together and now carefully turn the ring. This is very annoying. Any photos of where to apply glue?

• Like Like x 1
  11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I think I use two small drops of a gel "super glue" well away from the open slot to the internals. Small drops avoid gluing rotating parts to non-rotating parts.

• Like Like x 1
  12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I sold my copy that had the issue, it was a metal mount and I wanted to keep my GX85 tit together (plastic mount).

My wife does card marking (greeting card, birthday, etc). She has a tool the basically leave the sticky part of scotch tape and that's what I used. While it still leaves a little play it also allows for removal if the lens needs to be serviced. I've heard people use light double sided tape and I think that would have a similar affect. You also don't have to be AS WORRIED about glue getting into the rotating parts.