FastPictureViewer & FastRawViewer (and RAW-thumbnails problem on Windows 8.1)

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Claude
I just noticed, with XnView MP, there is an option to show a raw file by using either the embedded jpg, or the RAW at half resolution or at full resolution. Naturally, it takes longer to open if I choose the RAW. But in some occasions for comparing the sharpness of 2 photos (assuming I want to cull the one that is not as sharp), it is a nice feature to have, in particular when the embedded jpg is at lower resolution than the raw, which is the case with the files from my Panasonic cameras.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
FastStone-Raw-view.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Claude
Yep, exactly the same as in XnView parameters...
I have tried FastStone, but I prefer XnView for the following reasons:
- FastStone only shows image files, and hence won't show the edition files generated by some edition programs (e.g. the pp3 files from RawTherapee). This is a nuisance when you want to move the file to an archive and you'd like to also move the edition file.
- XnView indorporates ExifTools, thus permitting to see the complete exif from the camera, while FastStone only gives a very short summary.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
I have Windows 8.1 and I realized I could delete all my .jpeg's from my backup drives (I shoot jpeg+raw) if I just could get my Windows to show the RAW-file thumbnails in Explorer, which it currently doesn't.

Well, I found out about FastRawViewer. But it turns out it doesn't help with this problem. Then I found out about FastPictureViewer, which is a codec pack for RAW-files, and this should solve the problem.

Does anyone use these? Do you recommend them?
Without a doubt FastPictureViewer and codecs, I've been using it for more than 8 eight years.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Without a doubt FastPictureViewer and codecs, I've been using it for more than 8 eight years.

The only doubt is that development froze three years ago. Depending on one's platform, it may eventually break (it did with me).

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
I have Windows 8.1 and I realized I could delete all my .jpeg's from my backup drives (I shoot jpeg+raw) if I just could get my Windows to show the RAW-file thumbnails in Explorer, which it currently doesn't.

Well, I found out about FastRawViewer. But it turns out it doesn't help with this problem. Then I found out about FastPictureViewer, which is a codec pack for RAW-files, and this should solve the problem.

Does anyone use these? Do you recommend them?

I have the free FastStone Image Viewer, so do I benefit anything from FastRawViewer?

What about FastPictureViewer? It hasn't been updated since 2017, anyone know the reason? Does it support newer M43 cameras? (Mine are older so should be fine).

Both of these are currently on sale. FastRawViewer is 16,5 € and FastPictureViewer is 10 $. Not expensive so I could easily buy them if there are some benefits.

Btw. Are these from the same company as the names would suggest?

https://www.fastpictureviewer.com/

https://www.fastrawviewer.com/
PIE (Picture Information Extractor) is your friend. Picmeta systems, here:

https://www.picmeta.com/

IMHO it is the very best GUI front end for Phil Harvey's EXIFTool.

I own FastStone Viewer, and bought PIE Studio recently.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I have used FSIV for years and I also bought FRV a few years ago. I use them both as each offers features that are useful. FSIV is my convenient browser and cropping tool. I do use it for culling, but if I need to do a critical review of an image I will send it to FRV. FSIV allows you to hook up programs as external editors and I have FRV as one. One click of a key and the image is opened in FRV where I can have a critical look at the raw file. Yes, FRIV does offer the ability to review the actual raw image, but I believe that FRV uses a better raw converter and it offers a number of useful tools as well. There is no reason to not have both, and FRV is very affordable.

--Ken

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I have used FSIV for years and I also bought FRV a few years ago. I use them both as each offers features that are useful. FSIV is my convenient browser and cropping tool. I do use it for culling, but if I need to do a critical review of an image I will send it to FRV. FSIV allows you to hook up programs as external editors and I have FRV as one. One click of a key and the image is opened in FRV where I can have a critical look at the raw file. Yes, FRIV does offer the ability to review the actual raw image, but I believe that FRV uses a better raw converter and it offers a number of useful tools as well. There is no reason to not have both, and FRV is very affordable.

--Ken
FSV will also open and edit the RAW. Press 'A' when preview is displayed.

Also enable colour management in options.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
FSV will also open and edit the RAW. Press 'A' when preview is displayed.

Also enable colour management in options.
This is correct, and I do use it from time to time as I am a huge fan of the program. But if I really need to dig into an image, I use FRV as I like a lot of the features it offers. Having both available is very helpful.

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Ken, I have FSV set to open RAW files in PS by default.
I have PS as part of my Adobe CC plan, but as I came into the world of Adobe through Lightroom, PS is on my list of programs to eventually learn. I admit that I do not use FRV to its fullest potential, but it is helpful to have a "second opinion" when I am culling images and on the fence about a specific image. Once culling is done, LR does all of the work. FSIV is there as a jack-of-all-trades tool as it is so handy.

--Ken

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
IMHO it [PIE] is the very best GUI front end for Phil Harvey's EXIFTool.

Just fyi, IMatch also uses EXIFTool on the back-end with GUI on the front-end. At the current xmas sale price, it would be 3X the cost of PIE (2.5X of PIE Studio). However, for that amount you would get a full-blown DB DAM that is probably #1 or #2 DAM on the Windows platform.

Disclaimer: I've never tried PIE* and don't know much about them.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Just fyi, IMatch also uses EXIFTool on the back-end with GUI on the front-end. At the current xmas sale price, it would be 3X the cost of PIE (2.5X of PIE Studio). However, for that amount you would get a full-blown DB DAM that is probably #1 or #2 DAM on the Windows platform.

Thanks, Jerry. I do not use Apple products for a number of reasons, ethics being one of them.

PIE is very useful to me for some highly specific things.

I use Bridge as a DAM. It works superbly, except for the occasional 'quirk' ...

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
I use Bridge as a DAM. It works superbly, except for the occasional 'quirk' ...

I thought Bridge was adequate until I tried something else. Of course, it's hard to argue with free.

Imatch-snapshot.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken

I used iMatch and Picture Window Pro prior to switching to LR in 2007. There were a couple of programs I also tried prior to LR, but they are no more.

--Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom