1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Fastest way to set ISO on E-PL3 or E-PM1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LisaO, Nov 7, 2011.

1. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I have been considering getting one of the 3 series cameras. Today I looked at all 3 at B&H. The E-P3 is too large, I prefer the size of the E-PL3 or E-PM1 however, the one thing I need to be fast is changing the ISO but I couldn't figure a fast way to do it with either of these cameras. Any hints?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I use the super-control panel. Then it's push once to get the panel, navigate to iso, push once to select, and then buttons to change. It sounds a lot harder than it is, and if ISO was the last thing you used in the SCP the you don't even have to navigate to it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    That's a lot of button pushes. Anything easier? Any way to set myset to do it?

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I do it the same way Mellow mentioned, through the Super Control Panel. It is actually only 1 additional (okay, 2 if you were using SCP for another function before) button press versus having a dedicated ISO button. I have grown to like SCP quite a bit, though, I would still be good with an actual ISO button.

Sorry, I haven't yet done much with myset.

5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    You can re-program the right and down buttons on the directional pad to call up the ISO settings directly.

On my E-P3, down is usually the flash settings. I don't change flash that often, so I remapped it to bring up ISO. Once ISO is up, you can use the scroll wheel to quickly change your ISO.

Nowadays I just usually use auto-ISO. One less thing to worry about. :tongue:

6. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    That sounds like a good solution, are you sure you can do it on the E-PL3 or E-PM1 too?

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I can confirm that. You can program one of the directional pad buttons to bring up ISO. I usually shoot auto though. :smile:

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    You definitely can on the epl3 - I have the right side of the 4-way set up to go right to ISO. It's only one less click than going through the SCP, but that's an adjustment I want as accessible as possible.

-Ray

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    +1
    I use the SCP on my E-PL2 - haven't looked back since setting it up. :smile:

10. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    same. it's great. just an absolute dog to work out how to set it up the first time. god only knows why it's not the default.

11. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    +1

12. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Got a question on auto iso on my epm1. When I shoot in program mode and select auto iso (max 12800 default 200) it always uses a high way too high iso compared to iAuto. What could be the reason for that?

Thanks in advance

13. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    +1 confirm for the PM1.

14. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    +1 on all accounts. I do prefer to pop up ISO and use the wheel to select. Very fast and intuitive.

woof!

15. Pipedreamphoto

Pipedreamphoto New to Mu-43

Nov 17, 2011
    +1, make sure you turn on your custom settings menu to get this option! Such a great camera (PM1) makes me not wanna take my d700 with anymore.

16. ronbot

ronbot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2010
    In P mode, check your exposure compensation and/or metering mode.

FYI, center weighted or spot metering will tend to over expose if your subject is dimmer than than the rest of the scene, which means slower shutter, wider aperture, or (most likely) higher ISO than it would be in ESP metering. In iAuto, metering is always set to ESP.

17. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    YES!
    I had the E-PM1 for a short while before returning it (only bcause I couldnt read the too-small letters on the screen) and with the customized buttons you have fast access to ISO etc.

18. mmuratet

mmuratet New to Mu-43

Oct 23, 2012
    How do you set the button to control ISO on E-PM1?

I've been trying to set the buttons to control ISO per the manual. The button control is grayed out on that particular menu. Can someone tell me the steps they took to be able to control ISO?
    Thanks
    Mike

19. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Hi Mike, what camera mode are you shooting in? If it's iAuto I'm not sure you can set the ISO manually, the camera needs to be in one of the less automated modes like P mode, then you can set if from the control panel people are talking about here, or the button shortcut.