1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Fastest SD Card for E-M5II

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MarkyM, Oct 31, 2015.

1. MarkyM

MarkyM Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    Ohio
    Cameramemoryspeed.com found that while the E-M5II's card controller does not support the fastest speeds of the UHS-I cards (like the Sandisk 95mb/s card I have been using) it does support and takes full advantage of the newer UHS-II cards. It appears to be the first in the OM-D line to do so.

http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/olympus-e-m5-ii/sd-card-comparison/

The Lexar "1000x" UHS-II cards seem to be the sweet spot right now for less money than the fastest UHS-I cards and with almost twice the write speed in the E-M5II. Buffer clearing times are halved from the UHS-1 cards and in Sequential L mode (RAW) the E-M5II can continue to shoot at 4.7 fps even when the buffer is full!

I have ordered the 1000x 64MB version for $36.99 and will keep my "slower" Sandisk UHS-1 card for a backup.

• Like Like x 2
  2. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    I just received a two pack of this Lexar 64gb pro version of this card for my e-m5. So far the card is fine for pictures but out this weekend shooting video clips of my son's soccer with the camera locking up on every other clip after 13 or 14 seconds. Just spent a couple hours with it and no success after MA you parameter changes. My SanDisk 32gb uhs-i card is fine.

I've formatted the cards in camera before using. In fact I took some pics at home and loaded them into Lightroom with no issues.

It seems it's having good some sort of buffering issue and after freezing the card write stops and the camera either becomes useable or then locks again. Both cards exhibit the same error on v2.0 firmware.

This is the first time I've bought anything other than SanDisk and have never had a failure before.

I don't have enough access to a computer this weekend. Any ideas?

3. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    So while my wife is driving this leg of the road trip I have been playing with settings.

Seems that drop frame in the time code settings is causing the buffering problem only on the uhs-ii card. The older SanDisk uhs-i card is not experiencing the freeze.

Once I changed the setting to non-proprietary frame the uhs-ii card runs fine. I did about 25 sequential 15 second clips with no issues. As soon as I changed back to drop frame the first clip crashed.

I'll have to report this to Olympus though any input from the group is always appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  4. slmoore

slmoore Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I was considering getting this card and was wanted to make sure I understood the problem you had - if I got it right, it was the time code drop frame setting when shooting video that was the problem. Have you continued to use these cards, and if so, have you had any other problems with them? They seem like good performance for the money - assuming that you can work around the drop frame setting (I have never shot any video, so don't think this particular thing would be a problem for me).

5. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    @slmoore@slmoore ... I don't use these cards... they are just now sitting in the bin because I won't risk my images for a few $ and am back on SanDisk. Absolute money down the drain and Lexar was unwilling to assist.

I have tested further on 2.1 and was able to duplicate this issue with various settings even beyond the timecode drop frame though could never lock it down to a single setting or parameter. In fact, if you scan the B&H reviews page, you'll see other E-M5ii owners with similar issues. Also, I found a number of Fuji users having read/playback issues with these cards.

Even worse, while I never had an issue with still capture/writes/reads, I did read a number of posts where folks lost all their images, had to recover what they could, etc. In my case, the writes of the single video clips failed but all else was ok.

I haven't retested with the latest v2.2 firmware but I would strongly recommend to stay with SanDisk as that is what Olympus tests/approves. Given it will be freezing this weekend in NYC area, maybe I'll do some testing while sitting inside.

The one test I haven't performed is to try this with a SanDisk equivalent UHS-II card. I don't have one, but live close to NYC and was thinking of dropping into B&H to get one of the guys to let me try this test on site. That, to me, is one of the key things needed to be done to eliminate the camera/firmware as an issue.

To be honest though, I use the SanDisk ExtremePro 95MB/s 64GB cards and they seem to be far faster than the camera can write for both pics and video. Maybe if I were pushing the buffering limits during stills, I might notice a difference, but for video these are more than fast enough and I don't use this camera to push out high frame rate stills sequences.

Let me know your thoughts/any questions. I would love to solve this problem for myself and others.

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    wow... oh wow... so many words so little context.. so little information beyond there seems to be a card problem

K

7. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    • Like Like x 2
  8. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    That was helpful

9. slmoore

slmoore Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Thank you for the followup, @JBoot@JBoot

10. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I would like to be helpful... really I would.. but this thread is bat shit stupid... its like I have accidentally tuned into another radio station

You seem to have an issue with your camera and some cards... really not getting your problem... beyond the fact that the latest and greatest cards don't work with your camera.

Are we talking 'can't pay my 8-track in my CD"? or what

seriously don't understand your issue... and I doubt anybody else does

K

11. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    @MarkyM@MarkyM sharing his knowledge and @JBoot@JBoot sharing his experiences. I think it's a good information actually.

I don't need it fast card for now but someday when i bought EM5 mark II this information are useful. Can't wait to JBoot update to firmware 2.2 and see if Lexar can perform optimal or not.

12. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Maybe you would like to share with the rest of the class quite why this fast card obsession is actually important

Its obviously a big thing with you... just curious why?

K

13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I, too, have been using Scandisk's UHS-1 95mb/s cards. I had one freeze up on me when I was recording video. It could not have happened at a worse time, a good friend had asked me to record his performance in front of about 100 of his friends and family. It froze up during one of his best songs. I reformatted the SD card and it seemed fine. However, I no longer trust it nor it's 3 siblings. As a result, I have on backorder 2 Scandisk's UHS-II 64GB SD's at B&H. They are expensive.

SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-II Memory Card

Damn, I don't think that I clicked through m4/3's link before placing that order. Sorry Amin. :doh:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  14. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You say you reformatted it & it was fine, but had you formatted it before doing the video? That may be the only problem! In other words, not a problem with the card but how it was used perhaps.

15. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    For those interested, my camera is at v2.2 now and I can reproduce the problem at all HD resolutions and frame rates of 24, 30 and 60fps. Just ran through a couple of batteries on two different Lexar UHS-II cards. Still don't get any failures on my SanDisk UHS-I cards. Really need to get hold of some SanDisk UHS-II cards to test but I guess @dornblaser@dornblaser will be able to test soon.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Hi Ross,

I reformat after every heavy video or other heavy usage. That card had been reformatted less than 3 weeks prior. I use a Mac version of SDformatter. I had used the same card earlier in the day without a problem.

- David

17. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Still back ordered but I will post after I receive mine.

18. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Pardon me, but isn't the SD card supposed to be formatted in camera?

19. slmoore

slmoore Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Well for me, I was needing to buy an SD card, the 16gb version of this card was like $17 on Amazon, and I am impatient when bringing photos into the computer. The original referenced article shows thru testing that there is no in-camera write benefit to fast UHS-1 cards, but there is a significant write benefit to UHS-2 cards - even the $17 one. The problems @JBoot@JBoot described are reproducible, not a random card failure. So everything here seems informative to me. I do appreciate your knowledge, points of view and photography. The world would be a pretty boring place if we were all alike!

20. ccolapietro

ccolapietro New to Mu-43

Jan 27, 2016
    I use the lexar 1000x and shoot video frequently. I haven't had the card or camera (em5ii fw2.2) for more than a few weeks, but have had no "lock ups". I'll keep playing with this camera card combo, but feeling lucky.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk