1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fastest SD Card for E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Albino_BlacMan, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Albino_BlacMan

Albino_BlacMan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Canada
    I'm looking to clear the E-M1 buffer as fast as possible without wasting money so I'm wondering what SD card speeds the E-M1 can take advantage of.

Is there a jump from 45 MB/s to 90 MB/s? (I assume there is)

and

Is there a jump from 90 MB/s to 250 MB/s? (I'm going to guess no)

And yes I know to buy namebrand so I'm not getting lied to about speeds

2. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I found a significant increase in how fast the buffer cleared testing 45 mbps SanDisk cards against their 95 mbps cards, but that's as fast as I tried.

The issue is not just truth but genuine/counterfeit - therefore not just name brand vs. generic but also where you get the card.

3. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I use http://www.toshiba-memory.com/cms/en/products/sd-cards/exceria/exceria-type-1.html which have a rated 90MB/s WRITE speed and I have timed them at clearing a full buffer as 3 times faster than a 30MB/s write card.
    This tells me that the camera can at least use the 90MB/s speed.

Be very careful of buying any card that fails to quote the write speed.

So yes there is a jump from 45 -> 90

Toshiba also now have 240MB/s write speed SD cards but i'm not prepared to layout the $270 dollars to buy one :smile:
    http://www.toshiba-memory.com/cms/en/products/sd-cards/exceria/exceria-pro.html

• Like Like x 1
  4. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    Wow. Awesome. Thank you all so much! I just pulled the card out of my E-M1 and checked it and it's an Apacer 'class 10' which I have discovered to my horror is 10mb/s write. I intend to shoot action with it, currently it is 'leisurely' writing to the card, so I am just jumping on to Amazon to order a card. Pity my computer only supports USB2 / Firewire which will severely limit my transfers. Shame you can't get a Firewire SD reader, I am apparently stuck with poky usb2 speeds.

Cheers,

Chris

5. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Have you considered to buy a SD -> CF adapter like example? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816112-REG/Digieffects_SDXCF_Extreme_SD_HC_XC_to_CF.html

Then get a CF reader for FireWire?

the USB2 isn't a slow/bad, even when it takes 25-30min on me to flush 32GB Class 10 card. Sure I would like it to be around 10-15min and feel like using a gigabit ethernet 45MiB/s (a slowest speed).

6. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    No, I hadn't considered that. Thanks, will look into it

7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Or a PCI or PCIe USB3 card... FireWire seems to be near extinct, sadly.

I have a USB3 internal card reader that is quite good... By AFT Pro

Barry

8. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    no problem Chris,

I see a lot of cards advertised as 90MB's but only when reading with write speeds as you have discovered from 10MB/s up, the class rating seems to mean little on cheaper cards.

Micro SD cards seem to be the worst offenders, most will offer 45/60/90 Read speeds but I haven't yet seen one quoting more than 30MB/s Write speed. This may well be fine for a lot of cameras but on the deep fast buffer of an EM-1 it's useless when you need speed.

Cheers
    Phil

9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I think the Sandisk Extreme 95 MB/s are probably the sweet spot. The camera can't really go faster than that, and the slower cards are noticeably so. The PNY Elite are great general purpose cards, but they are noticeably (but not drastically) slower in the M5/M1 than the Sandisk.

• Like Like x 1
  10. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    I have got Thunderbolt, I wish there was a USB3 converter for that. Sadly I think I have to buy a new machine. A retina MBP is going to be on the cards early next year, guess I can wait...

Cheers,

Chris

11. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    E-M1 has UHS-I (not same as UHS-1) rated cardreader and that gives either 50MiB/s speed or 105MiB/s speed for writing depending what tech there is. Seems that 105MiB/s is possible.

12. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    Also, some brands seem to work better than others. I have a 32 GB Transcend card, with 90 MB/s printed on it, and a 32 GB Sandisk card, with 45 MB/s printed on it. I used to wonder why it took so much longer before I could press the preview button on after taking a picture with my E-M1 than with my E-P5. Then I swapped memory cards and suddenly the E-P5 was unbearably slow. The slow card was the supposedly twice as fast Transcend card. I guess the cameras don't like the Transcend card, wonder if it's just my card or if it's a generic incompatibility. My next card will be a Sandisk for sure.

13. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    I do get grumpy waiting for it to let me into play mode. Especially after a long burst of images. Looking forward to it being quicker!

14. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    nobody seems to be listening...... it's all about the WRITE speed and that's not always the speed printed in the card.... the slower cards will print the 90 read speed and make no mention of the crappy 30MB write speed.
    Check the specs but i'd bet the sandisk was 45R/45W and the transend 90R/30W

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    The cards state only the reading speed, writing speed is not required to be written but some manufacturers adds it.

Like you can find many to have 95MB/s reading and 25MB/s writing or similar. Some fast cards are 95MB/s reading and 45MB/s writing and some even faster can be around 95MB/s reading and 85MB/s writing. Rare cards are 95MB/s writing.

16. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    I see the 250 mb/s cards are $250 at Amazon or $700 at my local camera store !!!

17. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    It should be made so that photos can be reviewed when in buffer and when the user tries to swap to photo being written to card, the delay is there until written and then review continues from card. If photo being reviewed comes to be written, simple copy is kept in cache and then next/previous is reviewed from card.

To me worst is that I can't adjust settings before cache is empty.

18. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    I remember reading from somewhere that ~40% of memory cards sold from web are fakes, never getting to speeds the real ones should.

19. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    So what we're waiting for is apparently a manufacturer trying to fool us by selling a card that has 200 MB/s write speed, but only 20 MB/s read speed.

20. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Given the buffer depth of the E-M1 how many folks are actually hitting a full buffer? With the E-M5 this was a concern, but I have never even managed to get close with the E-M1.