Fastest 4/3 with title screen

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Basset, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Basset

Basset Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    I meant tilt screen.

I've been using a Pentax k-r with 21 mm pancake for street shooting. I would really like to complement it with an m 4/3, as it less intimidating to folks on the street. I've resolved on a tilt screen for shots of things like shoes, dogs, low perspective shots.

I've read a bit on the forum and elsewhere about the Olympus autofocus (E-PL3) being fast. But is it the fastest out there? That's my main focus in choosing -- the camera that is going to let me shoot in AF the fastest. I plan to shoot in RAW format most of the time.

So not just quickest to focus, but quickest to get the shot off. (Not that concerned about how many frames per second; for my uses, a couple of frames per second will do; the k-r gives me 6 fps when I need burst speed)

Thanks so much.

Any k-r owners out there can help loads by comparing their m 4/3's AF speed to the k-r, by the way.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    In general, the Panasonic bodies have always been more responsive than the Oly bodies - one of the downsides of IBIS. The new GX1 is likely to be the fastest, with the G3/GH2/EP3 next, then the GF1/G2/G1/EPL2 slightly slower than that, and the EP1/EP2/EPL1 very noticeably slower than those. The jump from the original PEN's with the original kit lens to the EP3 with one of the newest lenses is HUGE (and why people say the EP3 is so fast, when in actual fact they have just caught up with Panny).

The AF speed is going to depend on the lens also, with the street-favored 20/1.7 being one of the slower ones.

But then you throw in the tilt screen, and the choices get more limited. You have the G3 and GH2 - very fast reaction speed with tilt/swivel and the EPM1 not as fast with tilt only, but considerably more compact too.

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    In real-life use the G3, GH2 and EPL3 are all very fast focussing, responsive bodies.

4. Basset

Basset Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    That's good to know, but I am wondering if one model is noticeably faster than the other, as that is a prime draw for me

For example, I like the body and type of screen of the E-PL3 over the G3 and GH2. However, if the G3 and GH2 focused and shot appreciably faster, then I might lean toward them.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-PL3 has a new dual processor, and like the E-P3 is touted as the "world's fastest AF" as tested between all interchangeable lens system cameras as of June 30th. That would include our Pentax K-r as well as the GH2 and G3, all using good native lenses (in the case of the Oly, when equipped with MSC lenses).

The difference between the E-PL3 compared with say the GH2, G3, or DSLRs like the K-r however, are totally negligible and will also vary depending on the lenses mounted. Suffice it to say though, that the E-PL3 will at least be on par with all of the above.

If you prefer the body style of the E-PL3 and want fast AF, then it's a no brainer. Just buy the E-PL3. Your body style preference should actually weigh in a lot more than the AF speed which is mostly a function of the mounted lens anyways. But even putting AF speed first still keeps the E-PL3 as the top choice irregardless.

6. Basset

Basset Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Excellent response. Thanks.