Faster editing decisions for photos put on hold too long

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by dancebert, Sep 6, 2016.

1. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    If you have folders of photos that remain after the first round of editing and you haven't looked at them in months or years, maybe this tip will help. I'll explain the concept using LR terms, but it should work elsewhere.

After my first pass, images for a specific date are in 1 of 3 places: deleted, a TBD (to be done) folder with rated images, or a keeper folder. Each TBD folder name includes the date of the shoot.

Upon eventually returning to a TBD folder, my problem is forgetting what I've kept - because I don't want to edit a similar photo if I already have one I like more. Filtering the keepers on the filename in LR or searching in Windows is OK for a few photos, then the filename copy and paste becomes tedious.

Now I use the date of a TBD folder to filter the keeper folder contents. Export all images found with a preset that makes a small jpg. Import them into an empty folder, giving all a rating or color label not used in TBD folders. Move these to the TBD folder, then sort by filename. Now it's easy in Grid view to compare the TBD photos to the keepers. Also, my keepers have more than a few tags, so the tags in the small jpgs are available for pasting into a similar TBD photo.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I assign a unique color to the keepers and so I don't need a separate TBD folder. Therefore no need for jpegs.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    I use adobe camera RAW as my indicator for what photo i've done or not, if you make any adjustments, it creates a .xmp file storing the adjustments, that way i know whether or not i already did it, if i was in the proces of editing a photo, but stopped, i just assign it a color like @Bruce McL@Bruce McL (I go over my photos in sequential order, so that way i have an indicator where i left off)
    I too am guilty of leaving photos sitting for too long though :oops:
  4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    That sounds like a lot of extra work. Like Bruce, all my photos that go up on my website get a special color (Red). Ones that I definitely need to edit (determined as I go thru after a shoot) get green and 1 star. Those that I'm not 100% sure about just get green. After that I use keywords to organize stuff.
  5. JNB

JNB Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Different strokes (systems in this case) for different folks. I use a star system in Lightroom. Two stars = I will work on this one. One star = Not sure, need to compare, or a later possibility. No stars = Not likely. True garbage shots are trashed. It's easy to filter the view in LR, when I want to focus on photos with a particular rating. Sometimes a 1-star is promoted to a 2. Sometimes a 2 star is promoted to a 3 after I process it.

All photos get backed up to an external drive (even the no stars). After about a year, the no stars are deleted from my main library.
  6. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I just delete those that didn't turn out well, or that I didn't like.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I try to keep it simple in the work area on Lightroom. Folders are named by date automatically, on import. When the session is over, I add a word or two to the end of the name. So all my imported photos stay in date order, with a hint on the end as to what I was doing.

In the collections area I have several main folders . In the "best of" main folder I have subfolders for Recent, and for best of each year. Another main folder is "Portfolio," with subfolders for B&W, Nature, Figurative, etc.

If I like something I'm working on I immediately drag it into Recent. After a few days I decide if I want to keep it there and post it on the web on my recent photos page. Every month or so I go through the Recent folder and see if any are best of the year photos. I keep the best of my past years' folders around.

The next step up from best of the year is to go into my portfolio folders, which I also display on the web. I don't make changes to the portfolio folders very often.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    To each his own. I'm still surprised most LR users mix keepers with their undeleted, i.e., photos too good to delete, not compelling enough to finish processing until sometime later. I move keepers to folders where I NEVER delete from because I don't want to lose anything to a fumble fingered oversight. Separating keepers from the undeleted also means I can tell at a glance the size of my backlog. That helps motivate me.
    • Informative Informative x 1