Fast wide options... anybody with voigtlander 17.5 and Pana Leica 15mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tomO2013, Jul 7, 2014.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013

Has anybody here shot with both the Panasonic Leica 15 and voigtlander 17.5?
    I know one is manual focus and the other autofocus. Not an issue for me.
    I also know that one is almost double the price of the other. I don't mind this if I can justify the price in terms of my functionality and what floats my boat in terms of IQ.

I picked up the voigtlander 17.5 the other day, and I have another day or two to decide if I want to return it or not for a full refund and pick up the PanaLeica 15 instead ( I know there are differences in focal length and FOV , but from a wide perspective, both fall within the fast prime focal range that I am looking for). I just never 100% bonded with the Oly 17 1.8 so not really an option for me. I have the Pan 25mm already so also not really interested in the Pan 20mm.

Those that know, love and shoot the 28mm and 35mm equivalent FOV's, how have you enjoyed shooting the VL17 and PL15 long term? How do you feel they compare? If money was no option, which would you choose (assume a wash between autofocus VS manual focus as I'm just as comfortably focusing manually as I am autofocusing on the EM1).

2. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    I have the 17.5, and I find it tricky to focus, even though I have many manual focus primes. The in-focus area is narrow, and it's easy to miss. The CV 25 is much easier to focus. The 17.5 is the only lens I keep wondering if I should sell. Maybe the oly 45 too.
  3. jamesgehrt

jamesgehrt Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2014
    Easthampton, Massachusetts
    James Gehrt
    I absolutely love the 15 1.7. I put it on my camera a month ago, after using the 20mm for four years, and I haven't taken it off yet. It is the closest feel that I have gotten in a digital camera to the old Contax 35mm f2 for the G1 film camera. It is sharp wide open, very fast, nice contrast, and small. Here is a link to my flickr stream. The first 30 images or so are shot with the 15mm. Sorry I only have the 20mm to compare it to.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    James, I like your b&w shots over at flickr.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    Wow, great shots. I've been mulling over whether to sell my 20mm and get the 15, and your pics are tipping the scale for me in that direction... However I also own the 12mm f2 so I'm a bit hesitant about the possible overlap in feel

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43