1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

fast tele legacy lenses...do they need the hood?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by uci2ci, Jun 30, 2013.

1. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I just bought a Tokina 300mm 2.8 for a very nice price. The problem is that its not going to come with the hood (or the 112mm uv filter, and case). The hood is huge, like the canon L 300 2.8. Those who have had experience with fast old teles, is the hood essential for getting a contrasty image with these lenses?

2. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    In a word, yes. Coatings back in the day weren't nearly as good as they are today...

3. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Hmm, not what i wanted to hear. I might have to go to a arts and crafts store and rig something up then

4. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    DIY is one route. You could also buy a cheapo generic screw-in filter from eBay for a couple of bucks, as long as you know the front thread size.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Yeah, generic screw in works fine in most cases.

6. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Ive alread searched high and low for a 112mm screw-on hood....no dice

7. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    WTIW the original hood of a 35mm film lens will be wider than a crop sensor needs. If you make a hood yourself make it tighter, and thus more effective. Paint it matte black on the inside too.

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    You could probably make a slide-on hood using a sheet of dark plastic that would work. You might also find something in an unexpected place that works.

As an example, I got an 300mm f2.8 Nikkor that, while it had the built-in sliding lens shade, it lacked a lens cap. I happened to find, in Bed, Bath and Beyond, a blue juice pitcher for $4, the cover of which fit perfectly over the hood to make a wonderful quick on-off lens cap (it even has a handle) - it's SIGNIFICANTLY MORE functional than the actual Nikon Lens caps for these big lenses. Now it's true that this lens HAD a lens shade, but if it didn't, I could have cut the top off of the pitcher itself and made one that also would have fit - and it too would have had a handle for easy on easy off.

9. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    The dark plastic sheet is a good idea. I can use velcro to attach it to the lens. A rolled up plastic binder should work

10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    That's exactly the sort of thing I was referring to.

11. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam