Fast Shooting

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Robert Watcher, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

A favourite setting for my Pen cameras when shooting as I am walking around, is a Custom Shutter Speed Priority setting. I have made my settings the way that I want and then assign that configuration to the Shutter Speed dial. This way, when I turn my camera on with the dial set to S, these settings are available even if I have adjusted them previously.

I am generally working with my 14-42 kit lens for fast street shooting, so find that a preset of 1/500'th second works well. I then am able to use Auto ISO and set those values at ISO 3200 max and 400 min. SAF with face priority as I am generally including people in my shots. Image Stabilization is off as I have found a doubling of the image on occasion when shooting with a faster shutter speed while IS is on.

I shoot very quickly and walk up on scenes and disappear just as quickly, and these settings suit me well in most conditions. This evening my wife and I went out for our last restaurant meal in Leon before heading home on Monday, and while walking home I had my camera in hand and was just firing on subject matter that I came across. Here are a small selection in the order that they were taken:

TravelLiteShootHeavy-20150425-EPL57581.

TravelLiteShootHeavy-20150425-EPL57592.

TravelLiteShootHeavy-20150425-EPL57597.

TravelLiteShootHeavy-20150425-EPL57615.

With this last shot I was almost right on top of the kid at a street corner, where he was peeking around the edge. As soon as I took the shot, he called his buddy and went running away. Anne was a bit ahead of me and had noticed that they threw a small black package onto the street, and were watching to see what happened when cars drove over it. The boy was obviously so intent on that, that he didn't notice I was grabbing this shot. I triggered the shot by tapping my tipped out LCD screen.

TravelLiteShootHeavy-20150425-EPL57738.

• Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.