1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fast prime for street for OM-D

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jamie Furlong, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Jamie Furlong

Jamie Furlong New to Mu-43

Aug 20, 2012
    On a boat
    Hi all, new to the forum as I don't yet own an m43 camera but I am considering selling my 5Dii and buying the OM-D. That's another story, so take that as given...

With this in mind, which lens would you recommend for fast street stuff? I like the idea of the Panasonic G 20mm/F1.7 Pancake Lens but I have heard it isn't as fast as other lenses (fast as in auto-focus). The 40mm equivalent focal length is about right, though I am also thinking of getting a 28mm equivalent prime too.

Fast primes for the OM-D? Looking for suggestions/recommendations.

2. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    The P14 is the fastest small lens in m43. period. best bang for buck. specially for street.

3. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    My recommendations would be the Panasonic: 14/2.5, 20/1.7, 25/1.4.

25/1.4 is what I use for street work, might be a bit long but it works well.

4. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Welcome Jamie!

What you'll chose is very much about your style in Street Photography.

Do you want to get close to your subjects and "in the scene"? Then either the Oly 12mm or Pany 14mm is better suited to you. Do you want a more "natural" FOV? Pany 20mm, 25mm Leica and I'd add the Sigma 19mm which is an excelent choice for Street. There is also a rumored 25mm from Olympus coming, if you don't mind waiting.

After that you go to portrait lenses, like the Oly 45mm or even the 75mm, which is used in Street with success; but the style is totally different.

If it makes any sense, I sometimes have both the Sigma and the 45mm with me on the street and pick and chose (virually) randomly.

Finally, pancakes are certainly more "street stealthy", if you have this consideration, and lightweight, but, on the OMD, don't think you will gain anything significant in that department. Difference in "visible" size and certainly weight, is minimal, with the 12mm, 45mm, etc.

5. Jamie Furlong

Jamie Furlong New to Mu-43

Aug 20, 2012
    On a boat
    Hi and thanks for the fast responses. Should have mentioned my 'style': I normally use a 50mm prime on my FF camera but I had been looking to go wider. The 12/14 lenses, therefore, are an attractive offer.

6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Hi Jamie, the 12 is an awesome lens, but is quite expensive and big compared to the Panasonic 14. which is no less of a lens. The 12 has focus scale for zone focusing which is GREAT in street photography, but then thats a 24mm equivalent. then the Pana 14mm is a 28mm equivalent and it doesnt have the focus scales for zone focusing, BUT the AF is fast....really fast. Personally im using the P14, and the P20. no problems with any of those. :biggrin:

7. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Well sounds like you might want to have the PL25 for some occasions then. It is my favorite m4/3 lens for general use. The 14mm Panasonic is small and probably the best deal out there, as you can find a lightly used one for under $200. The Olympus 12mm is an amazing lens but comes with a high sticker price (it's only downside).

8. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris

I'll echo this.

14mm focuses very fast, it is ideal for my street photography needs.

7786739172_a5ebc73b05.
    OMDEM5.Pan14 by staticantics, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I love my PL25 but I don't do much street shooting. My suggestion: look in the Street photo threads and see what shots you like and find out what lenses are used.

10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I shoot the 12mm with the OMD. Pull the focus ring back to manual focus, set the lens to 5 feet and f8, and the whole world is in focus. Set the rear screen up for touch shooting and you can touch the screen ANYWHERE to trip the shutter. Perfect with the screen flipped up for shooting from the belly/waist. Zone focus is wonderful for street shooting - I use it anytime there's enough light for adequate depth of field. But if you're committed to auto-focus, I'd get the 14 and save a lot of money. Both are extremely fast AF lenses.

Here's a set of OMD shots. Not all street and some of the street shots are done with longer lenses (mostly the 45mm), but all of the wider angle street shots were done with the 12mm in the manner described above:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/sets/72157630761957262/with/7646718084/

-Ray

• Like Like x 3
  11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'm a guy that does NOT follow the "wide for street" shooting use....So if you're like me, then you'll check out the 45 & 75mm M. Zuiko primes....:smile:

12. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Love your work Ray, thanks for sharing.

13. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    PL25 is the fastest lens currently available for m4/3.

I switch between it and the P14 depending on the perspective I want.

14. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    25/1.4, superb lens and equivalent to 50mm in FF.

15. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I bought the p14 for landscape,but now I rarely take it off my E-m5.with the camera strap lengthened to belly and the screen flipped to horizontal and evf sensor switched off,this is the ideal street machine.You can buy this lens on eBay for under $180.fast focus and quiet.
    I also carry the Oly 45mm when I want some distance.It is fast, light and tiny also.I find my Pl25 mostly stays home because of it's size and weight.My 20mm is too slow for street but great for still work.When I want that 50mm perspective,I use my Voitlander25 and zone focus.

• Like Like x 1
  16. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Voigtlander Nokton 17.5/f0.95 (or the Nokton 25mm, but you said you wanted wider) and zone focussing.

AF is for girls.

I'm kidding, sort of...

• Like Like x 1
  17. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    No it ain't.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
    panny 14 & 20 plus oly 45mm

*jamie* The best bang for your buck is the panny 14mm f2.5 but you should also look @ oly 45mm f1.8 very sharp pictures... the panny 14mm retails For $303 or so @ b&H and the oly 45mm f1.8 is $399

19. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I personally use three for street with the OMD, Oly12/Oly17/panny25. The 12 and 25 are loved by most, yet the 17 on the OMD is no slouch although most have ignored this little gem.

20. djonesii

djonesii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    I never know when I will want/need an effective 28 or 35, so I just got the 9-18. On camera size is a bit bigger, but the convenience is worth it to me.

As I generally shoot street in the day, I really don't need a fast lens, I I need shutter speed, I'll just crank the ISO.

A street set shot with the G3 and the 9-18
    London Street

Have the OM-D now, need to try the waist level touch screen method!

Dave

• Like Like x 1