Fast prime around 28-40mm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by gcogger, May 26, 2010.

1. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Hi all,

I've just bought a micro 4/3 camera (Panasonic G1), and would like to get a fast prime in the range 28-40mm. Due to budget constraints, and the fact that it will be my first experiment with adapted manual focus lenses, I'd like to keep the budget to under £100, including the mount adapter. Previous experience tells me that I need it to be an f/2 lens (or faster). So far, the options I've seen are:

- Vivitar/Kiron 28mm f/2
    - Canon FD 35mm f/2
    - Konica AR 40mm f/1.8 pancake

Has anyone had any experience with these, and could tell me which is likely to perform best at f/2? Thanks :)

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The Konica is a great performer even wide open. It's easy to get on Ebay with an adapter in your budget and probably less.
    It's always in my bag.

3. richie15

richie15 Guest

If you are looking for budget I have just brought a £6 Canon FD 28mm f/2.8 and with adapter I was all in for £30. I have posted some pics in the adapted lens archive.

F2 is good but do you really need to spend the extra for the 1 stop?

4. e.besana

e.besana Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2010
    Tarrytown, NY
    The vivitar is not sharp at f2. It is also prone to flare w/o a hood. It produces some great bokeh though. I have some pics of my daughter posted in the adapted lens image thread taken with this lens at f2. hope this helps.

5. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    What a helpful forum - I went to eat my dinner and, when I came back, there are several replies already :)
    That's useful, thanks. I've seen a few example shots with that lens, but it's hard to tell much about sharpness in reduced size web images.

I'm afraid I do need f/2. This is taking the place of a 50mm on my Canon 40D (equivalent to 40mm on the G1) and will be used for photos of my wife's classical song recitals. I'd prefer a touch wider, but 40mm will be just OK. I've been pushing acceptable shutter speeds at f/2 and ISO1600 on these occasions, so f/2.8 won't be fast enough. It would certainly make life easier!

Yes, that's useful to know thanks. I'd prefer something fairly sharp at f/2 as I'll be shooting at high ISO - the less I have to enhance the sharpness and contrast, the less I'll bring out the noise.

6. richie15

richie15 Guest

I have got a Canon FD 35mm f2 coming tomorrow, I will post some pictures in the image archieve

7. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    That would be really helpful, thanks. Any chance of some 100% crops, so I can see how sharp it is at F/2? :)

8. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I thought the consensus was that the Konica 40/1.8 is soft until stopped down to at least f/2.8 But thinking about it... that doesn't stop it from being a great performer.

Yes, I just came here from a thread about theories and terminology...

Cheers,

Jonas

9. richie15

richie15 Guest

Drop me a pm with an email address and I will upload you a RAW file for you to play with, assuming it doesn't rain :smile:

10. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I never pay attention to the general concensus.
    If I did, I'd still be with film and my M's.
    The 40 does what it is supposed to do.
    I like it and the contrast is very even but not to punchy.

11. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    That would be great - thanks very much :) I'm sending you a PM.

12. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I use a Schneider 40mm f/1.9 for portrait work. This lens is in Robot mount - sort of C-mount (25mm) but longer lens mount to flange distance.

13. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    OK, I've stopped dithering and made a decision :)

I've ordered a Vivitar (manufactured by Komine) 28mm f/2. This is the 49mm filter close focus version and rumour has it that it may be better than the Kiron one. It was cheap enough at £45 in (apparently!) top condition, so I can try it without too much risk. I also remembered that I have an old, beaten up, Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 somewhere, so 28 + 50 makes more sense than 35 + 50. This was in Minolta MD fit so, as I've bought the adapter anyway, I couldn't resist a cheap (£20) Minolta 45mm f/2 pancake lens as well for when I want fast and light. Not really sensible, but when they're this cheap... :)

If I don't like the 28mm I'll sell it and get the Minolta MC 35mm f/1.8 which I've seen for about £80. I found someone who had compared it to the Canon and Nikon 35mm f/2 lenses and said that all 3 were equally sharp wide open.

Fingers crossed...

14. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I have the older FD 35/2 as well. The older one has the concave element and radioactive coatings, which gives it increased contrast and sharpness. The newer ones are OK, but not as good. The better 35/2 lenses go only to f/16, whereas the newer ones go to f/22. The older 35/2 is supposed to produce great B&W photos, especially if the radioactive coating has started to turn yellow (can be fixed by leaving the lens in sunlight for a few days).

I'll try to post some photos when I can.

15. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Don't forget Takumar lenses and also Olympus OM lenses. I can however recommend the Konica AR 40mm f1.8.

16. genji

genji Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2010
    Late to this thread but... from my own experience, you've chosen well. I have the Kiron 28/2 as well as the Vivitar (Komine) 28/2 and 28/2.8 (each in the Close Focus version). Wide open, the Vivitar 28/2 CF, which you purchased, is definitely superior to the Kiron 28/2 -- in fact, it's remarkably good. All three are good performers once stopped down but the Vivitar 28/2 CF compares favorably with my other 28mm lenses (including Rokkor 28/2, Rokkor 28/2.8, and Yashica ML 28/2.8).

The Minolta 45/2 is also underrated. Obviously not in the same class as the Contax G 45/2 (or other 40mm lenses such as the Pen F 40/1.4, M-Rokkor 40/2, and Hexanon 40/1.8) but a bargain if considered in terms of price/performance.

The Rokkor 35/1.8 has a great reputation but I'd be surprised if you decide to sell your Vivitar 28/2 CF. I think you'll find the 28/2 and 45/2 combo does everything you want.

17. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Thanks - the only 100% crop I could find from the Vivitar (Komine) 28/2 was good enough to satisfy me, but you can never be sure until you try it yourself. Unfortunately, while the lenses will arrive quickly (from the UK), I can't use them until the adapters arrive from Hong Kong, which could take weeks :(