Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I'd say this is good news:

- Olympus will keep the three lines of OMD cameras
- release cycle between cameras will become longer
- Olympus recognize the need of very fast aperture lenses
- 4K will not come on the E-m1. But maybe on future cameras

Bildschirmfoto2014-02-21um092952_zpsb7b0d9a6.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

http://www.43rumors.com/terada-interview-says-fast-aperture-prime-lenses-are-in-the-works/

Real Name
Chris
I have always assumed (from a purely business point of view) that Olympus would fill out the lens lineup with f1.8 primes and then start on something faster down the road. Maybe after selling a range of f2.8 zooms they will hint at some f2 zooms as well.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I read a suggestion that the next version of the EM5 might be a good body to try out improved video. It makes a weird kind of sense.

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
FINALLY someone making some sense. I'm so sick of seeing very little progress in lenses, but 15 new bodies on the market every year (for many manufacturers). There was a time when Fuji had about as many bodies as lenses for the X-mount. Ridiculous. Same with Canon...the improvements were generally incremental and skipping a generation or two between upgrades was the most sensible thing to do.

tosvus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
12mm f1 sounds pretty good to me. Maybe a 7mm f2 would be doable too??

tosvus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
When one's lens dreams are satisfied, I hope that there are no complaints about the prices.

I have resigned to the fact that I spend a sickening amount of money on my hobby at this point. Can't complain about the results either. Some lenses are practically a work of art.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Your spending is not complete until you buy a large format printer and start printing out your shots. It too becomes addictive. ;)

Bugger, I spoke too soon! I have just had to order a $130 ink cartridge because my printer is out of blue. And when you have 12 of those cartridges, you hate for them to start running out at the same time. :(

AlanU

Mu-43 Veteran
f/1 lenses would require substantial glass. The cost of the lens would surpass most of the the m43 bodies product lines.

f/1.4 seems more logical since most manufacturers go that route. The price point would have a higher sell rate to hobbyists (I speculate majority of m43 owners)

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Oh yeah...lenses...sure, they're good ideas...but let's say HYPOTHETICALLY that these are real ideas. Really, Olympus? Two lenses 2mm apart, and nothing outside of that? I would have been much more excited to see the plans for a 7mm f1.4 and a 100mm f1.4 or something.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Patent applications often never see the light of day in terms of actual products, but Olympus has formally stated that they realise there is a demand for faster lenses and they are working on this shortfall. An f1 lens would probably sell few copies due to cost (and size for those who are forever seeking wee things), but then producing some niche lenses etc could still be profitable. This is an area that Olympus possibly needs to consider, or is already considering, in a world where differentiation is vital. It doesn't hurt the likes of Leica, Zeiss etc. But if Olympus did build such lenses, you would be guaranteed that they would be stellar performers.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Ouch! It's around $500 for a new print head for mine.
Yep got an iPF5000 - hence the comment, I could get around the blocked nozzles till I foolishly put the last firmware on, oh well it's still cheaper here in Oz to replace the heads than buy something new...

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Patent applications often never see the light of day in terms of actual products, but Olympus has formally stated that they realise there is a demand for faster lenses and they are working on this shortfall. An f1 lens would probably sell few copies due to cost (and size for those who are forever seeking wee things), but then producing some niche lenses etc could still be profitable. This is an area that Olympus possibly needs to consider, or is already considering, in a world where differentiation is vital. It doesn't hurt the likes of Leica, Zeiss etc. But if Olympus did build such lenses, you would be guaranteed that they would be stellar performers.

I realize all that. Still...you'd think they'd think a little bit outside the bun.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
I hope they keep the design/layout/size/etc of the E-M5...I'm still not convinced I'll upgrade, but curious to see what they're coming out with next!

Latest threads

Top Bottom