1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fast flash sync speed with E-P3?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by dennisb, Aug 9, 2012.

1. dennisb

dennisb Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2012
    Hi!

Today I use an E-P3 with a couple of off camera flashes (canon and Metz) triggered wireless. This works really well for most of my needs. I sometimes need to put on a ND filter to use wished aperture.

Even thou the ND filter thing works it requires some time to choose the right filter and connect the filter. I really wish I could increase the shutter speed instead. But my current setup only allows me to shoot at 200.

Is there any option for me to be able to shoot at an even faster speed to be able to use the lenses open or to freeze a moment?

Wireless? Cable? Other flashes? Any suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks!
    D.

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I thought you could only sycn to 1/180 (as per the EP3 menu). How are you getting sync to 1/200?

3. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    The only option you've got is the FP Sync mode that comes ONLY with Olympus flashes. That being said, your Canon and Metz lights are out of the game. (The Metz 50AF-1 for Olympus has the HS option which is pretty much the same as Oly's FP function so if you have that you should be good.)

If you have at least ONE FP flash unit in your inventory, you could try this hack:

Flickr: Discussing Hacking the High Speed sync in Strobist.com

FP/HS is a series of microbursts that ensure your image is "covered in light" during the entire shutter travel. If balancing money is an issue, then instead of spending $500 on new flashes, get a $500 Fujifilm X-10 that comes with a leaf shutter. A leaf shutter syncs at ANY speed regardless of flash modes, and you can use a "normal" flash (even vintage ones) at 1/4000 sec no problem.

AMA. I'm a flash guy. :)

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    you can sync Oly up to 1/400s with manual non-ttl flash. I did it with E-PL2 and now with E-PM1 by using a Nikon flash. To shoot wide open (f1.8) or near wide open at 1/400s in the sun you'd still need a 3-stop ND filter but sometimes polarizer works as well.

5. dennisb

dennisb Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2012
    Ok, thanks for the info. Gonna read that page!