1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fast Cards and Olympus EP5 video.....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D7k1, Jun 30, 2014.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I must admit, I've been a little too dissatisfied with the video from my EP5. I got my EP5 as a replacement travel camera and just used the 30 mb card I had in the EPL1. Yesterday to try and cure a bad case of Gh4 fever, I started testing various combinations of cameras and lenses ( really not wanting to be on the bleeding edge of this 4K thing). I have read that there might be a codec up grade this year, but it didn't say for what cameras, so I thought I'd try some of my 45 MB/s and 95 MB/s cards. Keeping my pans slow on a tripod with no IBIS I was pleased with the video that I got and it actually graded well with the video from my Nikon 7100. Much less blocking/smearing if I panned just a little to fast and on the still side much faster buffer clearing. The point is that if you are not using very fast cards you might get pretty good performance for stills, but a 30 MB/s card sucks for videos (and a upgrade to just 24 MB/s on the codec would do the camera just for really serious film makers). But for Youtube/vimeo and even cable (if you have the cleanest video from the EP5 it can standard a render at 25 MB/s IMHO).a fast card for me was a big improvement.

I ordered a fast 32 GB 80 MB/s (I know 60 MB/s write speed) and will carry that and one of my old 45 MB/s 16 gig GB cards when I go out to image. In the end, I can now with some care get, for me, video that I can use with my D7100/D7000 (NikonHacker 60 MB/s hack) which is significantly better than using what I thought would be a reasonable speed card in my Oly. I did this test with SanDisk Extreme Pro cards and I set the normal IBIS to auto and made sure the video IBIS was on. I used a Pany 14mm lens for DOF and very fast continuous AF (although a kit lens would have been just as good).

So, if you want to do video and you have not been using a fast SD card you might want to try one in your EP5 - it made a noticeable difference for me. You mileage may vary:)

• Like Like x 1