1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fashion/portrait photography tips?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by battleaxe, Nov 20, 2013.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

So, I recently got the opportunity to do some fashion portrait photography for a project an acquaintance is doing. The thing is I am more of a nature, and wildlife shooter. Now I am looking for tips and tutorials on how to take better pictures for such scenario. I plan to be using my Sony A57 since I have a wider lens selection vs my GF3. Thank you.

2. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    There's plenty of videos on youtube, but here's a series of videos I came across earlier this month, by Joel Grimes, on portrait lighting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEuEKZTlrms&list=PLD6E7293A13B2CE2C

Episode 7 & 8 in particular are on soft beauty light and fashion-y type stuff, but IMO it's worth watching the whole series if you've got the time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    When is this shoot? Use this time to look at images online, find ones that stand out to you. Try to figure out why you like them (study the pose, lighting, processing, etc.). Then if you have time practice shooting, find people around you and take portraits of them. Find/use good light, direct your model.

Good luck!

4. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    I`m into portrait photography for a couple of years now, so I got a few tips:
    - get seriously into lighting (doesn`t matter natural or studio), that`s the keypoint in portraiture - you got to know the amount, direction & quality of light you use in your shoot and what you got to do if something`s going wrong;
    - also I strongly recommend you to read some posing books to know how all that stuff works;
    - try to find a team that you can rely on. It`s really nice to have your own make-up artist, hair stylist & fashioner - it`ll add a lot of creativity to your images;
    - you got to learn a few retouching techniques - there are a lot of vids & books about that;
    - always watch for a background, be sure that there are no ineligible objects, try to pick a place that perfectly suits character.
    - try to tell a little story, not just take an image of person if it`s possible. There`s a lot of options here - location, clothes, make-up, hair, light, pose, emotions of your model, so it`s up to yu and your team.

P.S. Check out my portfolio at 500px, pick a favourite pic or two & if you have some questions, just ask.

• Like Like x 1
  5. battleaxe

Not fully sure yet, but some time in early December so I have some time to improve.

The pictures are for a project for an acquaintance, so make up is up to her, as I would think posing would be too(though I have an app for that. As for lighting we should have some studio lighting available to use.

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Make up is probably fine but unless she has posed before, it will be quite a new experience to pose in front of a high quality camera setup that can capture every detail and throw everything else out of focus. Even if she is experienced you will still need to direct her for more subtle things like how much to turn head, where to place hands, leaning, etc, to best suit the shot. Only you, the photographer, can see exactly how she looks through the lens at the time, so she'll have to rely on you to give her feedback about her posing and expression.

As for lighting, it's one thing having them, it's another to use them well. I'm pretty much always a natural light person, and my limited experience with controlled lighting told me that I had a lot to learn.

My suggestion is to study some posing and lighting technique, then go practice and try out the theory before the real shoot. It will let you practice technique, get to know how to work together, what poses and angles work best for her, etc.

What posing app are you referring to, by the way?

• Like Like x 1
  7. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    lens-wise, for most shots use a medium tele and shoot as wide open as you're able to get sharp images with (if you own either the Oly 45 or 75 would be ideal)

8. battleaxe

I am planning to use my Sony SLT A57 as I only have the GF3 and a 14mm f2.5 and a adapted Minolta Rokkor 58mm f1.4. On my Sony I have a Minolta AF 35-70mm f4 lens that is fairly sharp. Though I could order an adapter and use the 58mm f1.4 on A57 and it has the advantage of focus peaking vs the GF3. For posing app, I am using 100 Model Pose app and Posing App lite for Android.

• Like Like x 1
  9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wow, learned something new. So many posing apps on Android!

10. battleaxe

Yeah, not sure how good they are, but it should be at the very least useful to give an idea.