Fascinating Secrets of 4/3 Lenses on Panasonic Cameras

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by deirdre, Oct 11, 2010.

1. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    So over on 4/3, a person was asking about the 4/3 Oly 11-22mm lens.

Which, on Panasonic's chart is listed as a MF lens.

Further down, Ned explains that Oly lenses are fully cross-compatible, and that the faster ones are CDAF (post 19). I note that Panasonic's chart corresponds to CDAF lenses (post 20).

StephenL reports, after trying it on two mFT bodies, "The results are identical for both the E-P2 and the G2. The lens does autofocus - but slowly."

So, it appears that Panasonic's lens compatibility chart may be out of date. I don't know if that's true for only the G2 -- or if it's also true for the GF-1 and other Panasonic cameras.

That said, I'd rather have faster focusing anyway, so it's not that big an issue.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    That's the wrong chart for the G2. THIS is the chart for the G2, and it states that the Olympus 11-22 works in single shot focus (AFS) or manual focus (MF).
  3. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    Aha. So the lens is AF-compatible with the G2 but not the GF1. I'd bookmarked the GF1 chart as that's the camera I have.

I suppose that's motivation to get a G2 as a second Panasonic body. Originally I'd wanted a G2 but then got a good deal on a GF1 which I actually prefer the form factor of.
  4. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Yes, but why can't Panasonic update the firmware of the GF1? I have a number of good FT lenses and don't like being forced to use them as MF only. It almost makes me wish I'd bought an Oly body!
  5. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    That question assumes it's simply a firmware issue. It may not be.

I was thinking about it, and generally I can focus in the 0.5-2 second range, so it doesn't sound like that big an issue. Sure, I may not be as accurate.
  6. jonima

jonima Mu-43 Regular

Here is also some new form that site about using Adapters en converters andt the Policy of Panasonic about that.

Panasonic alters policy on Four Thirds to Micro Four Thirds adapters and converters (Four Thirds User)

Here also firmware is applied to change the policy after Olympus did offer a solution. G1+GH1 where not mentioned though.

Good thing too keep an eye open for updates on these matters!!

I think if Olympus and Panasonic want to protect the interest in the mu-4/3 native lenses they should exchangeable including the 4/3 lenses!!

7. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    Yes, even 1 second focussing (this was not a scientific test I conducted!) is probably faster than manual focussing, though it doesn't feel so at the time, and for certain subjects, eg landscapes, does not present a problem..