Farewell

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by shoturtle, Jun 11, 2011.

1. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Just want to say farewell to the members here, most have been helpful and informative. But recent clashes has made me seen that part of the forum does not wish to provide new users with accurate info. And I have be inform that correcting that info does not seem to be the correction thing to do. I just rather not see would be buyers looking for a system be talked into something that will not meet their specific needs.

Thanks all the other members that have given me good info for building out my m4/3 system.

Farewell and good luck

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Sorry to see you go ... I always appreciated your photographs.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
    G

3. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I didn't followed the discussion that prompted you to take that sad decision; anyway, your contributions have always been valuable to many of us, at least to understand the point of view of someone using a dual DSLR / :43: setup.

There's a kind of illness that grows on everyone hooked to internet forums for a long time - call it depressive disorder or boredom. After a while meeting the same regulars, discussions can come full circle again and again, leading to a very strong urge to slam the door and be done with it all.

My advice, built upon experience from the usenet days of lore, is to take a rest for a while, then lurk a bit and finally wait for a moment you really wish to come back and be active again. A cooling off period, everyone needs vacations now and then.

Change your habits - don't get into a gear debate if you already know where it's heading. Show pictures instead and discuss art, or something you wish to improve on - change side, stop being an expert for a while, it's refreshing to be taught new tricks, even for an old dog :smile:

Goodbye for now, best of luck, come back when you're ready.

Cheers,

• Like Like x 4
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I didn't see the contentious posts you are referencing, but I came to mu-43 exactly because I fled DPR. I hope we can keep this site friendly. Please do reconsider if you can.

I think also there is a <!> button, where people can complain about posts, with one of the acceptable complaints being "rude" post.

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Sorry to see you go. I appreciated your perspective, even if I didn't always agree with it.

my iPhone sent this

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    a diversity of opinions makes a better community.

7. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I feel you pain. Not here (yet), but on forums in general. People just seem to run their course on forums (myself included). I liked your attitude on the posts I read, sorry to see you go.

8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    A real shame to see you go. You gave a lot of good input that whether I agreed with it or not, contributed to a comprehensive discussion on many topics.

Gordon

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I am sorry to see you leave the forum...but I also understand what you are saying.

10. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Shoturtle, I've appreciated your insightfullness and experience. Your contributions have been valuable to many members and will be missed.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Shoturtle, I too am sorry to see you go. I'm going to explain to the others what happened here. Since you cannot respond (having asked me to disable your account), feel free to email me with any reply you'd like posted here or if you want me to re-enable your account, which I will be glad to do at any time.

As a user of both MFT cameras and DSLRs, shoturtle frequently pointed out to prospective buyers that MFT cameras are not the best tool for the job when it comes to sports. I certainly tended to agree, and I don't think anyone had a problem with shoturtle arguing that point. However, when one brings the same argument repeatedly within threads and on multiple threads, it starts to tread on the forum experience of others.

Here is the PM I sent to shoturtle regarding this thread:

Apparently there had been another thread asking about track and field where someone had brought up the Chinese volleyball thread as an example of MFT doing sports, so shoturtle felt it necessary to bring the good fight to the Chinese volleyball thread. After a few more PMs back and forth about this, shoturtle deleted his attachments and asked to have his account closed; I obliged.

Even if shoturtle's point is 100% correct and his motivation is purely to prevent people from buying the wrong system for their needs, we can't have someone admonishing members every time they're happy with an action pic they took with a Micro 4/3 camera. Then we get a toxic environment like this: Wow, GH2 and 100-300mm great for sports: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Shoturtle expressed a concern that prospective buyers were being misled by a "rawh rawh for m4/3" brigade, a group he previously referred to as Micro 4/3 "fanboys". IMO, prospective buyers should know better than to depend on a Micro 4/3 site as a sole, unbiased source of opinion about whether they ought to buy a Micro 4/3 camera or something else.

It's a similar argument to shoturtle's that I hear from the people who troll the 4/3 and Micro 4/3 forums on DPReview, nominally there to make sure no one is misled by any inaccurate claims of 4/3 or MFT advantages over other formats. A lot of what these folks argue is actually correct. However, when they bring the same arguments to thread after thread, beating people over the head about why they shouldn't be happy with their system, I call it trolling.

We value differences of opinion here at Mu-43.com, but we're also committed to providing a friendly, positive environment for the enjoyment of those of us who love Micro 4/3. For those who want an unmoderated experience, there are other sites and forums to choose from.

Again, I am sorry to see you go, shoturtle. You contributed a lot to the forums, and I hope you'll reconsider at some point.

• Like Like x 12