1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Farewell folks :-(

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dcisive, Jan 12, 2011.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Just wanted to stop by to say that while it's been a blast, I've had a bit of a change in my camera plans. I went to order my PL2 from my dealer and while of course nobody has them and it wasn't even in the order numbering system of Olympus yet, he handed me a Sony A55 to play with. I ended up going home with a kit on trial. Well.....long story short I was hooked and I'm expanding that system and won't be getting another Pen. I'll have my mft lenses on the "for sale" board here in the next day. Look for some seriously good deals on like new lenses. it's been fun folks, hope ya'll have a great time shooting.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    DC,
    We'll miss ya but I'll keep the coffee pot warm.
    Good luck in your journey....
    Don

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    +1 to what Don said.

The Sony looks like a great camera. Enjoy!

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    On one hand, I really hope this is the IT camera you've been looking for. On the other, I'll miss your reviews of various pieces of m43 gear, and for pure entertainment purposes, the contortions and speed with which you've often changed your mind and the certainty with which each decision is made and then, sometimes, just as quickly discarded! If this is another of those, maybe we'll see you back here again. And if not, I'll assume you've really FOUND it this time and I'll be happy for you from a distance...

Good shooting...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    What Don, Amin and Ray said. And then some. :wink:

Just in case you might change your mind you could always send me your m4/3 gear to hold for you. :biggrin:

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Before you decide on the Sony read this article, an interview with the President of Sony's Imaging Group. It looks as if Sony may be getting out of the dSLR market. Reading between the lines, Sony may be refocusing into camcorders and m4/3rds.

Sony looks to change the world of DSLRs: Digital Photography Review

I'd do a bit more research to see if Sony is the course to chart. Remember that all/most new APS-C and FF dSLRs up to an 8x10 and at ISO 400 or less will deliver an image with an IQ which is not significantly different from each other, regardless of the price.

Gary

7. dreilly

dreilly Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010
    That wasn't how I read that article at all, Gary. What I read is that they are looking at pushing the envelope with the DSLR form by integrating new technologies. The pellicle camera was just the first example of this, the interviewee said. They are working on a killer A700 replacement (no specifics) and reiterated their commitment not just to DSLRs but to full-frame ones. They're also planning on expanding the NEX line, and it doesn't mention anything about m4/3. Seriously, there's less in this to doubt their DSLR lineup than in Olympus's statements about the future of 4/3.

So I wouldn't worry about Sony's future too much. (For the record, I don't worry about Olympus's either). Go with the equipment that works for you.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    My first take was similar to yours, but when I examined the content closely ... I became lot more skeptical ... "'There has been a lot of discussion about what an Alpha DSLR should be..." That could mean major changes or minor changes ... I take it as a major design change. Most of the article highlighted that Sony's Alpha, NEX, Cybershot and camcorder groups are now under one roof and jointly these groups will design Sony's future cameras. When one integrates nontraditional dSLR technologies into a dSLR ... at one point it may no longer be a dSLR.

Additionally, Sony's President stated that "Our mission is to create new markets - we don't want to make the same products as everyone else and just cannibalise each other in the existing market."

As to FF, I think it's pretty weak "... When we started in DSLR we said that if we have DSLRs, a full-frame camera must be there. But we are working on a lot of products and there is a limit to our engineering capacity. The time will come when I can give more detail. When we announce a full-frame camera we want it to be a big step forward - another technological development might be needed so I say to people: Please stay tuned."

The above doesn't seem aggressive or definitive to me.

I guess we just read and interpret differently. Believe me I don't want Sony to exit the dSLR marketplace. I am a big believer in competition. But I wouldn't be surprised if Sony pulled out of dSLR and concentrated on the NEX series and ff camcorders.

Gary

9. dreilly

dreilly Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010
    Good points, Gary, I can see what you are saying now, and you might be right. Still I wouldn't hesitate getting a Sony DSLR...there are no assurances about the future with any company. SLRs may die off like rangefinders (mostly) did...replaced with...who knows? Sony has a long history with Konica and Minolta before it, and there's lots more money for them to make with all those Zeiss lenses they've developed. I think the next step is some sort of intermediate creature that integrates the Alpha and Nex models. You are right, it might not be very recognizable as an SLR.

10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Gary - I just read that article as well, and I kind of take it to mean they are switching up their approach to large sensor cameras in general.

The first thing Sony should do anyway is ditch their multitude of low to mid level DSLRs - they are notorious for having half a dozen models distinguished by things such as megapixel count, articulating screen, etc. I believe they are already in the process of this first step with the A33/55 cameras. They are compact but still use the standard alpha mount. This provides an upgrade path to the A700 replacement, which they have indicated will be a killer camera. If they go with a 4 tier approach I think they will do well:

1 - ultra compact, NEX system - both the current P&S entry level style (for those moving up), and a more advanced model for those who want a full DSLR compliment (discussed in that article).

2. compact, entry level DSLR - A33/55 fit this niche perfectly - relatively compact, but more advanced than the entry level NEX cameras, and provide an upgrade path by using the same Alpha mount despite the smaller form factor.

3. Enthusiast A700 replacement/high end consumer segment.

4. FF.

I personally don't generally care for sony gear, but I am definitely all for pushing the envelope, it is good for everyone, regardless of brand.

All that said, you'd have a hard time prying my Pentax k5 from my cold, dead hands!

11. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    How ironic -- how about you stay but just change your username to ndcisive? :tongue:

• Like Like x 2
  12. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    DC, first thing you need is the new Tamron 18-270 lens when it comes out for Sony. Already out for the other brands. I have the 18-250 and it's a pretty good lens most of the time, except in low light.

13. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Good luck. I got some good pointers from you along the way and always enjoyed your photos.

14. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Enjoy your new venture - have valued your input here.

15. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

dcisive, don't be a stranger here just because you've taken a different camera tack! Many of us, and I obviously speak from experience, decide to buy and sell and make changes. I'll be keeping my eye out for you, dcisive! Enjoy your new camera!:2thumbs:

P.S. You might find yourself at home "across the hall" over at Serious Compacts, Amin's other site...where we even have a small DSLR forum. Many of us have a foot/camera in both camps.:th_salute:

16. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I thought I'd poke in for a second. You needn't worry about my becoming that scarce. The technology changes so fast these days it is indeed hard to keep up. I've always had a warm spot for Olympus and I doubt that will change. Depending on my financial future after paying off off of my doctors and taxes after cashing out a IRA to do so with all my surgeries this last year, I'm ready for some relief:rolleyes: I've had a few days now to wring out the Sony as well as having taken delivery of some key lenses to use with it (the 35mm f1.8 SAM, Zeiss/Sony 16-80, 70-300SSM G ). They do make a fine optic. That Zeiss blows me away. I've not seen such color and contrast from a lens like that since I had a Nikkor 70-200vr, and frankly it's even nicer than that. The 70-300SSM extended I was reading the back of a jacket off a kid walking his dog a block away, that fried me. The little lightweight inexpensive 35mm f1.8 is sharp wide open so I'll find that useful on a crop sensor for portraits and such, nice blurred backgrounds. The focus speed (no offense to Panny owners) actually exceeds the focus speed of the GH2 I tried, and by far is more capable in lower light. They have a lot of interesting and useful features that are pretty groundbreaking to put right on the camera, so I'll have plenty to explore.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Olympus WILL come out with a P3, and if they are smart (since they are now officially putting all their R&D into mft,)they will put some advanced features on it with a metal body. I'd be sorely tempted by that I must say. It is going to be an interesting ride the next year or two in camera technology development. Oh, and as for what Sony has coming down the pike. Their article basically stated they are planning on abandoning mirrored DSLR's and going with advancements in mirrorless (or the SLT type found on the A55) technologies. There are a good number of advantages and they are going to capitalize on them. They are also planning on advancing the EVF technologies, which they most certainly CAN knowing them. All in all it's a fun ride. I'll be sure to stay in touch.:smile:

17. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    dyxum.com is a fantastic community for Sony Alpha shooters, if you haven't joined already.

I sold my a33, 16-80mm, and 70-300G but I miss them. That combination plus the 35/1.8 are hard to beat. I'm anxiously waiting to see what Sony does with the a77.