1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fantastic panasonic 100-300 lenses on dpreview forum

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by isabel95, Nov 29, 2010.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

I was very impressed with the color and clarity in these images:
    <http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=37048389>

Isabel

• Like Like x 3
  2. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Link?

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Good news - can't wait for mine.

5. isabel95

Thanks, Amin....

Have to admit I'm a bit preoccupied. Tomorrow I go in for my second cataract lens implant and I know I will be losing my extra close nearsighted vision with the new lens. I'm in mourning for its loss. I'm very concerned about my photoediting accuracy with this new more farsighted vision.
    I don't know why the link didn't show - I put < before and >after the link...maybe that doesn't work with this forum.
    Here it is using the link icon above
    Isabel

• Like Like x 1
  6. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I'm happy, those pics are excellent, and they are from Mark, the guy that got me into µ4/3 almost two years ago now :biggrin::biggrin:

I will not buy that lens, not because it is no good (all the contrary !) but because I have already more than enough lenses in the proposed range of focal lengths.

C U,
    Rafael

7. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
  8. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Excellent samples. Every time I see new good micro 4/3 lenses I felt I did the right choice by taking this system for my own.
    Thanks for the post Isabel.

Sidinei

9. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had looked at a few pictures in other forums, and I am really impressed by this lens. A few months ago, there was no doubt that I would get one, maybe when the price starts dropping. But now, even if the lens seems nice, I am undecided: I made a resolution to only buy new ones if I sell others. In the long range, that means I would have to sell my beautiful Leica R Telyt 250/4 and the Takumar 200/4 - and both are worth more to me than the going prices these days. Same with some really nice longer (150mm) c-mounts. So I don't know what to do right now. Maybe I just keep observing the market and the reported experiences with the new lens. But pictures like the linked ones don't make that easier...

Stefan

10. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I hope they stick a leica lens I your eye. They'll charge enough for the operation and you'd hope they'd use quality gear:)
    All the very best for your op and I trust it will go ok.
    Icon

11. isabel95

Now wouldn't that be convenient!
    Thank you, Icon.
    Isabel

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Good luck with your surgery, Isabel. I understand your concerns.

Our forum automatically converts links, so you can paste them plainly without the < and >.

13. isabel95

thanks, Amin.
    I'll do that next time.
    I guess the < and > cancelled the insertion of the link.
    Isabel

14. DennisC

DennisC Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Are we really happy?

I'm going to sound like an old curmudgeon but what I didn't like about the 45-200mm lens was the excessive vignetting and very soft images above 150mm.
    At least that was a cheap lens ( £175 brand new ) so I could understand its weaknesses.

But guys this new lens is expensive and yet , from these examples and those on the Lumix site ,apparently performs no differently.
    At the top end the images are soft and vignetting is still a problem. It's as if they've taken the same design as the 45-200.. lens and blown it up :)

I hear that focusing is rather slow so it's not going to be the ideal companion at an Air Show or Motor Race meeting.

We have been given a wonderful pancake lens and a fine kit lens so why on earth can't we have a really good telephoto , fast focusing and high resolution.
    After all Panasonic are charging high prices

15. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    it's better than the 45-200

I had that one for a while and was not impressed. Optically the 100-300 is a big improvement. Not quite as good as the 20/45 primes but much better than my experience of the zooms 14-45 or 9-18 either.

My main gripe (on the G1 body) is the autofocus hunting and missing so much - impossible to point and shoot basically. Which is a problem for wildlife, sport and so on.