Fantastic news for macro enthusiasts!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by foto2021, Mar 29, 2012.

1. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Hi Colin,

I see you have the 45-200, as do I.

Macro wise you could do an awful lot worse than stick a Ranox 150 on the front of it.

Here are a couple of links of mine you may find of interest.

Ranox 150....a lot cheaper than extention tubes with NO light loss.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Fantastic indeed, 75/1.8 or even 45/1.8 with these rings should work well enough so there's no need to get 60/2.8 for those occasional macro shooters. The price is kinda crazy though, a set of 3 tubes for Canon or Nikon costs $179, while at 216 euro for each(!) m43 tube it may be better to just get a dedicated macro lens.
  4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Not so fantastic, unfortunately. The prices are extreme ($200 Euro, about about $265 US for the pair, according to a later post on that site), no AF (focus confirmation only) and, honestly, they're too thick. Even 10mm is a lot on m43, and the 16mm will be unusable with most lenses.

I paid $90 for a Canon FD 50mm macro, and maybe $20 for an adapter. And the pair is a lot more versatile and useable than a normal m43 lens with these adapters will be, and the lens is optimized for macro, so probably sharper.
  5. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

I use a set of achromatic supplementary lenses I have owned for years. They cost me £15 a long time ago. :cool:
  6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I've been playing with the Raynox 150 and I'm impressed with the IQ out of it. I'm not sure if I need these.
  7. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    €216 each is too much. That works out to $287 each or $574 for the pair.

I hope that price is a misprint.
  8. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    When I read this thread yesterday, I thought, hmmm, Ranox 150? With a modicum of research, I ordered one from Amazon. Incredibly, it arrived today and I stuck it on my 45-200 lens. Not bad!

macro by foxtail_1, on Flickr
  9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Weird. How can they do AF confirm and auto-aperture, yet not AF? Would think the lens communication protocol that allowed the one would be enough to enable the other.

10. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

That does seem strange. There are as yet no details on Kenko's web site so this is impossible to confirm.
  11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Great news! I hope they make tele-extenders too! Little more complex because of the lenses required but they already have the electronics figured out.
  12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2 - when the "bright zooms" come out, this would be my ideal travel setup. Of course, the glacial pace they are setting getting these lenses out, there is plenty of time to develop the tele extenders LOL