Fanny Pack or Beltpack Recommendations

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Boatman, Apr 16, 2013.

1. When I'm shooting in doors, I use old primes for their fast apertures and generally need to keep two or three at hand to meet my 'zoom' options. Typically I'll have a Panasonic 20mm (small), a Takumar 50mm w/adapter (medium sized) and a Nikon 85mm w/adapter (somewhat larger than than the Takumar). I'll also have a spare battery, but that is small enough to go in a pocket.

I'm looking for a small fanny pack that can hold two lenses, preferably with some webbing that will keep the them from banging together. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

2. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    The S&F Utility bag 100 AW. I purchased the entire series with the belt and all types of pouches. I like the system, it is great for when I am out walking and just wish to wear the belt with a few pouches on it or place my own belt through the loups and wear the pouch that way. The bag looks like a little fanny bag with a divider to make two separate pockets.

3. migs

migs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    RVA
  4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I recommend never wearing a fanny pack ... ever. :tongue:

5. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I wore a fanny pack over the past week and lived to tell the tale.

I had in it an FL-600R; batteries, filters, cleaning supplies, step-up rings. It made my regular shoulder bag less congested, more organized, less heavy and generally a joy to carry.

6. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    I'm a big fan of fanny packs - have 3 different sizes. One is a home conversion of an old fanny pack in which I added dividers. They make is comfortable to work quickly & access your gear while hiking or walking around.

Take a look at the options from LowePro
    Beltpacks Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

I have a V1.0 of the Inverse 200AW. It is my midsize bag & would hold what you describe + a bit more. I've carried the Xpan + 3 lenses & UWA finder for the 30mm. The dual zipper door makes it easy to get gear in/out.

Glad to see the Hubba Hubba - finally someone is building for Mu43 - YES!

Most camera bags are too tall for Mu43 gear so you end up w/ some unusable space.

7. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    I've ben using an Ultimate Experience fanny pack since a 1984 month-long trip to Ghana, but don't think its made any more. INterior is separated into a large center, with divided pockets on either side. Currently holds em-5, fl-600 flash, a couple other lenses, charger, etc. Olny problem is that I get older the straps get shorter!

8. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    It's certainly not hip, but I'm old enough to not care about the looks and like to go with what works. The Speed Demon is fantastic for Micro 4/3. It stays put and leaves you with two hands and a platform to do your lens changes on. It's big enough to hold two OM-Ds (one with full grip) and four lenses (two attached)

Rudy

9. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Just poking fun. Being in my late 30's with a kid now, I am certainly moving my focus more to function over fashion.

Plus, there's a huge difference between a purpose-built camera equipment fanny pack and those small wedge-shaped ones for your wallet and keys that were so big in the 80's.

10. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I see a codpiece in my future. Capable to hold a 45mm and an extra battery.

11. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I am a big fan of the now discontinued but easy to eBay Lowepro Off Trail. The Offtrail (1) is a better fit overall for Mu43. It works very well facing front when camera is in hand, and turned around when otherwise convenient.

That said, I also have and like the Inverse 200AW very much. I use it in the same manner only tend to turn it to 2:00 on my hip and belly.

woof!

12. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Maryland
    Gary
    I've been using the ThinkTank Speed Demon. It can hold my 20mm,40-150,30mm Sigma and OMD-EM5 Body or EPL-5 with a small lens attached. I sometimes use it as a shoulder bag by attaching a strap to it by using O-rings on the 2 little loops (on the top back). Works well.

13. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    You can get a Mountainsmith waist pack. They have a couple different sizes. I think the Tour size is small but big enough for what you need. It can be worn as a waist pack, shoulder pack, or you could get some optional straps and make it into a small back pack. You can get a tour and an insert. Mountainsmith makes an insert that fits perfectly in the tour called the kit cube.

Amazon.com: Mountainsmith Lumbar-Recycled Series Tour TLS R Backpack: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Mountainsmith Kit Cube, Black: Sports & Outdoors

14. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    May I recommend a Utilikilt? Lots of pockets for storage. :D

P1000756-M.

15. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    The Mountainsmith looks really very nice. Actually I like the Day (14 litre).

Reminds me that another favorite of mine is Kelty Jaunt which I picked up for 12.00 at TJMaxx. 12 Litres of capacity. Added an inexpensive insert and it works great. Probably cost me $30.00 total. Comes with a shoulder strap that can be used to support the bag when it's a bit heavier. It does not come with compression straps on the bottom, but there are attachment points so you can carry a tripod. Weight: 1 pound, Material: 600D polyester ripstop, 600D polyester oxford, Dimensions: 12 inches long x 12 inches wide x 6.5 inches deep

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBPJHlxnIQk]Kelty-Jaunt Shoulder Pack/Lumbar Pack - YouTube[/ame]

16. cerebrus

cerebrus Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 19, 2012
    Hi everyone, would it be possible to show a photo of the Speed Demon along with the E-M5? Just want to see if it is the right size for my current equipment, and future purchases.

What I have now:
    EM-5 with landscape grip & Oly 12-50 attached
    Oly FL-600R Flash
    Panny 7-14 f4
    Oly 45 f1.8
    Oly 60 f2.8 macro
    Portrait portion of grip

Bunch of filters and step rings for the lenses.
    Spare batteries for the flash and camera.

Cheers!

17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Just to throw in another option that I've been curious about (but not enough to buy one, since they're not easy to find in Europe) is the ONE system by UNDFIND (Kickstarter project). The Waist Shooter looks like it might fit the bill, but given the small size of our lenses, even a pair of Fish Bomb 'accessory packs' would probably do the trick for pretty much all MFT primes and some of the zooms.

Plus it looks pretty good. More of an urbanwear item than an outdoor one, however. I have a LowePro Inverse AW (with rain cover) which is a sort of 'technical fanny pack' that I occasionally use when cycling with a camera. Sits snugly in the lumbar region and has adjustable straps to 'snug' it up against your back so it doesn't bounce around if you're walking/climbing/hiking/cycling. Also has straps for a tripod on the bottom. I don't use it much, but it is a nice piece of kit.

18. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I posted pictures in this thread:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f67/bag-holster-em5-grip-42551/index2.html
    Rudy