Fancied a DSLR back-up for the OM-D.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Well to be honest, I just fancied a DSLR, no intention of deserting :43:.

So I settled on a D300s plus a Nikkor's going back. :rolleyes:

Why, 1.5 lb that's why.

It's a beautiful camera, but soooooooo HEAVY.

D300s (no grip) + 16-85 = 3.5 lb.

OM-D + grip + 14-45 = 2 lb.

I have to say that the finish/build quality of the D300s was excellent as one would expect, but I much prefered the OM-D.

Chalk and cheese you may say, it's just IMVHO.

The black OM-D is a class act, difficult to follow.
    P1010265-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The grass is not greener on the other side, is it? :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

If u go for a heavier/bulkier camera, u have to chose one that actually gives u definite improvement over your lighter gear, or else it's a lost battle. U should have tried a D700. Exact same external as D300 but amazing FF sensor with unmatched DOF goodness, lol. U might have kept this one ;) (and yes, I'm aware someone will step to the plate and say they ditched their D700 for an E-M5, I'm just not convinced yet).
  4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    There are some things a D300S does better than an OOM-D but if the extra weight and bulk are an issue, then the choice is clear.
  5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Dave
    If someone asks me to pick a DLSR at gunpoint then I will happily pick up Pentax K30 as back up camera .Its beautiful, same sensor as K5 and weather sealed.Pentax offers very good primes as well.
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    A full frame DSLR and M43 compliment each other nicely.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Interesting - I started with a D300 (similar to 300s) and went to the OM-D for what I thought would be a back-up and lightweight kit. It's turned out that, since I got the OM-D, I've hardly used the D300 at all. Everything you say about the D300(s) is correct - great IQ, great build - but suddenly it feels heavy to me. :redface:

For what I shoot (landscapes, nature and static images) the OM-D does just as well as the D300. I'm not ready to sell off all my Nikon gear (although I did just sell a lens), but it's definitely starting to collect some dust. :smile:
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Would anyone consider the rumored d600? I know it's got my attention.
  9. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If it were m43 size... :) lol the body, that is...
    I'm spoiled by all day carry around ability

- Eliot@Austin, TX
  10. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Is it that fake razor blade grass from the aeon flux movie?!

- Eliot@Austin, TX
  11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    My D300 with battery grip (loaded with 8 aa cells) and the 70-200mm 2.8 weighed right around what loaded M1 Garand rifle weighs.

I figured if I'm too old to schlep an M1 around all day anymore, I'm too old to schlep the D300.

The OM-D and grip feels like nothing :thumbup:.

But that D300 is a very capable camera.

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I am still thinking of the 1D-X for action/sports stuff.
  13. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I would have considered the Canon equivalent since I have a 580EXII & 430EX; plus the Canon TTL cables also work with mFT gear. Unfortunately I don't have noteworthy Canon glass, and now I have all the mFT glass I need.

No crossing back to the bulky side for me.
  14. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I think for me now that I've tried the D7000 and missed the EVF my only option for a DSLR would be a Sony, which wouldn't bother me as I had an A300 and 2x A700's before but not sure I would.
  15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I've been thinking about that, too, with the Nikon and Canon rumors of the FF smaller DSRLs. Could I really got back to a staight up OVF. One thing's certain -- I'm never again getting a PDAF camera without micro adjust. Now that I have accurate focusing in CDAF, I couldn't settle again for "good enough" PDAF (though it is good at tracking).