1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Fancied a DSLR back-up for the OM-D.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Well to be honest, I just fancied a DSLR, no intention of deserting :43:.

So I settled on a D300s plus a Nikkor 16-85mm.....it's going back. :rolleyes: 

Why, 1.5 lb that's why.

It's a beautiful camera, but soooooooo HEAVY.

D300s (no grip) + 16-85 = 3.5 lb.

OM-D + grip + 14-45 = 2 lb.

I have to say that the finish/build quality of the D300s was excellent as one would expect, but I much prefered the OM-D.

Chalk and cheese you may say, it's just IMVHO.

The black OM-D is a class act, difficult to follow.
    View attachment 223106
    P1010265-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The grass is not greener on the other side, is it? :) 

• Like Like x 1
  3. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

If u go for a heavier/bulkier camera, u have to chose one that actually gives u definite improvement over your lighter gear, or else it's a lost battle. U should have tried a D700. Exact same external as D300 but amazing FF sensor with unmatched DOF goodness, lol. U might have kept this one ;)  (and yes, I'm aware someone will step to the plate and say they ditched their D700 for an E-M5, I'm just not convinced yet).

4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    There are some things a D300S does better than an OOM-D but if the extra weight and bulk are an issue, then the choice is clear.

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Hi Dave
    If someone asks me to pick a DLSR at gunpoint then I will happily pick up Pentax K30 as back up camera .Its beautiful, same sensor as K5 and weather sealed.Pentax offers very good primes as well.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    A full frame DSLR and M43 compliment each other nicely.

• Like Like x 1
  7. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Interesting - I started with a D300 (similar to 300s) and went to the OM-D for what I thought would be a back-up and lightweight kit. It's turned out that, since I got the OM-D, I've hardly used the D300 at all. Everything you say about the D300(s) is correct - great IQ, great build - but suddenly it feels heavy to me. :redface:

For what I shoot (landscapes, nature and static images) the OM-D does just as well as the D300. I'm not ready to sell off all my Nikon gear (although I did just sell a lens), but it's definitely starting to collect some dust. :smile:

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Would anyone consider the rumored d600? I know it's got my attention.

9. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If it were m43 size... :)  lol the body, that is...
    I'm spoiled by all day carry around ability

- Eliot@Austin, TX

10. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Is it that fake razor blade grass from the aeon flux movie?!

- Eliot@Austin, TX

11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    My D300 with battery grip (loaded with 8 aa cells) and the 70-200mm 2.8 weighed right around what loaded M1 Garand rifle weighs.

I figured if I'm too old to schlep an M1 around all day anymore, I'm too old to schlep the D300.

The OM-D and grip feels like nothing :thumbup:.

But that D300 is a very capable camera.

Jim

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I am still thinking of the 1D-X for action/sports stuff.

13. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I would have considered the Canon equivalent since I have a 580EXII & 430EX; plus the Canon TTL cables also work with mFT gear. Unfortunately I don't have noteworthy Canon glass, and now I have all the mFT glass I need.

No crossing back to the bulky side for me.

14. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I think for me now that I've tried the D7000 and missed the EVF my only option for a DSLR would be a Sony, which wouldn't bother me as I had an A300 and 2x A700's before but not sure I would.

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've been thinking about that, too, with the Nikon and Canon rumors of the FF smaller DSRLs. Could I really got back to a staight up OVF. One thing's certain -- I'm never again getting a PDAF camera without micro adjust. Now that I have accurate focusing in CDAF, I couldn't settle again for "good enough" PDAF (though it is good at tracking).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.