Familia Sagrada Interior (Warning: overt HDR use!)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Brian G, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    I've been perusing through image files from late 2010, to see what pops in processing (can you tell I'm not the "OOC only" sort?).

This is probably a work in progress, and currently the print looks considerably better than the onscreen image here (!). The print has more "punch", contrast is better overall, and reds are more saturated. (This is the reverse of the normal occurance, in my experience.)

At any rate, as I try to re-teach myself photography and post-processing after having let it go dormant for many years, I'm having a great time.

This is an interior of Barcelona's famed Sagrada Familia, architecture by Gaudi. On the day we were there, the interior was still undergoing extensive renovations, and visitors were only permitted a few yards inside the front entrance. What images I have from then were relatively quick grabs with the 20mm Panasonic lens. The interior was reasonably dim, and many areas in shadow.

This is obviously HDR processing on the more dramatic side; I quite like the mood and elevated sense of detail. IMHO, the stock image, however finessed in conventional processing, is very disinteresting by comparison.

Thanks for looking.
    Brian

Familia-Sagrada-Interior-2-.

• Like Like x 17
  2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Church building has always been a quest for light. I'm sure even medieval builders wouldn't have objected to HDR if that might have helped them get patrons paying for higher, bigger buildings.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Bum. :)

I want to go to Barcelona BAD.

4. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    We're going to see this next month. I can't wait!

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    This is a good application of HDR. Well done! Beautiful detailing of that building - a true masterpiece.

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks for sharing - heard of it but unlikely to visit.

7. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Thanks John!

The non-HDR version, even with attention in PP, doesn't reveal anywhere near the apparent detail that the HDR brings out.

Brian

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I don't normally like HDR, but this is a great example of how it can be used. Great shot! Any more?? :)

I was there around 2005/6. I would go back to Barcelona in a heart beat if I could. Great city!

9. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Very nice. Barcelona is one of my favorite cities on earth, I have been going there regularly since 1977, well, before I moved into the middle of the Pacific 5 years ago. Capturing the incredible detail of this church is almost impossible, this may be as close as you can get. Now, my favorite place in the city is the 'boqueria' market. Did you take any HDRs there also? :)

Stefan

10. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I once asked a question regarding the use of HDR.

This one image did more to answer it than any of the comments I recieved in reply.

HDR can be beautiful! Great shot, great PP.

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Likewise. If I can immediately tell a shot is HDR, it didn't work. This one becomes apparent ONLY because there's a realization that you couldn't get that much fine detail over such a range otherwise, but it doesn't look at all cartoonish or un-natural - kind of like what your eye sees inside that amazing building.

BTW, I've been there twice - once in 1981 when there were probably a handful of us in the whole place and you could walk through every inch of it, including up in the spires. And then again in early July of last year when there were so many other tourists around that we never got within 100 feet of the building. I guess we could have stood on-line all day and gotten in but we were only in Barcelona for the first day and a half of our trip and were exhausted beyond belief. Amazing structure and a wonderful city. I have to say it was a lot funkier in 1981 - then again so was I so maybe its just my perspective that changed...

-Ray

12. Whenever I see HDR I'm always curious to see what the original/s looked like.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    :biggrin:

I was in Italy in 1981. I haven't been back since, but from what I understand, we also had a better time than you can now. For instance, we climbed up the leaning tower in Pisa, which I've been told you can no longer do.

14. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I'm thinking Nic has the makings of a really good idea here...

Would it be too much trouble to give us a peek at the file pre HDR??

15. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I can attest. Not to Pisa, but Rome and Florence were sort of busy in 1981 and they're absolutely overrun now. I can't really complain, being part of the problem (and now an obvious tourist - I could blend in and was mistaken for a native EVERYwhere in '81 - even Cairo!). Back then I felt like I could meander through those cities and almost imagine what they're like to live in, all while seeing the key tourist spots. This summer we were there in overwhelming heat and still the crowds around the Duomo, Ponte Vecchio, Uffizi, or ANYwhere between the Vatican and Coliseum in Rome were simply wall to wall. Like walking down Fifth Avenue in NYC late on a Friday afternoon - you can't begin to feel the places - you can barely see them. Venice wasn't as bad - St. Marks was that bad but the charm of Venice is less the big destinations than just getting lost in all of the funky little neighborhoods and you can still do that. You can walk nearly the entire city in a day and only the areas pretty close to St. Marks and the Rialto Bridge/Market area were really over-run. Even Venice was a lot worse than 30 years ago, but you could still get a feel for the place and have a good time. Its good that more people get the opportunity to see these places, but the experience isn't anything like what it used to be.

-Ray

16. jc_rex

jc_rex Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Menifee, CA
    awesome photo briang! :)
    I echo luckypenguin's comment... would be interesting to see the originals if you don't mind sharing :D

17. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    I generally do not like HDR. However, your photo proves my notions incorrect. Beautifully treated - thank you!

18. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    It's shots like this that can finally make people see that HDR is not inherently evil. There is good and bad in all. I think we can all agree that we don't like poorly executed HDR. This is sublime. I also love seeing before and after shots. Could you share with us your middle exposure, please?

19. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Subtle HDR like this is best. I think many people would not even know it was HDR. Very Cool!

To reply to another topic of travel and crowds the secret is getting up very early at 4-7AM you can have a city to yourself.

20. It's a very striking and expertly processed image but the HDR is definitely not subtle. Brian acknowledged that from the beginning (i.e. check the thread title).