1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

False advertising, anyone up for an e-mail campaign?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DonTom, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Many are aware of the fact that IBIS isn't available for video on the E-M5 with manual focus lenses.
    Olympus customer services have acknowledged this. They say it is a "legacy lens issue, and they never specified that IBIS would work in video with legacy lenses" (paraphrased from):
    Re: Not so good news.. actually, really bad news :(: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
    and:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f42/oly-answer-e-m5-video-w-legacy-lenses-27830/

Actually, they did say it would work, right from the very start, and they still say so on the company website:
    "all lenses mounted on the body can take advantage of this sophisticated technology, whether shooting stills or HD video."
    ( Olympus announces OM-D E-M5 weather-sealed Micro Four Thirds camera: Digital Photography Review )
    "It also stabilizes movies, even when shooting while walking. Because the IS system is built into the body, it is effective regardless of which lens is used."
    ( OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5: Feature 5-AXIS IMAGE STABILIZATION | Olympus Imaging Asia )
    They are guilty of false representation of this camera's capabilities. This is the only basis needed to pursue this matter.
    Please email Olympus and say "You said I could do this with this camera, you advertised it. You still promote it. What are you going to do about it?
    While you are at it, email your local consumer affairs department, to complain that you have been sold a product that has an advertised feature missing, and CC Olympus on that email.
    Even the two Voigtlander lenses promoted on the m43 website don't work with the IBIS. Basically, the E-M5 is worse at stabilising video with MF lenses than even the "lowly" E-PL1!

Cheers, Tom

2. djonesii

djonesii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    you beating this horse over a Fred M too

Seriously .........

If you demand this in the OM-d send it back, or bite the bullet and E-Bay it.

Marketing folks lie, sometimes it's a sin of omission, sometimes one of commission, but they do lie, but only when they write and speak.

If you need a video camera get one.

Dave

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    "All" shouldn't be construed as every freakin' barrel with glass in it. When advertising copy says "all", it should most reasonably be taken as all in its specific product line, like all current lenses they SELL for it.

You should sell it immediately and show them who's boss. As a matter of fact, sell it for a loss to show them you're REALLY mad.

I'll give you $400.00, that'll piss them off.

• Like Like x 1
  4. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    IBIS works with all my lenses.

5. I appreciate the humour. Sure you can buy my E-M5 for $400....wait, I don't have one. Nor will I unless this is sorted....
    One of the big differences between Panny & Olly is the IBIS. They are leveraging that for all they are worth, every reviewer mentions it......but it doesn't work the way they say it does.

Kind of like buying a 4wd that will only run on sponsored trails....

6. All of which are micro four thirds native lenses, by your sig.

7. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve

4WD is never really four wheels driving at once unless you have lockers of some sort. It really means the vehicle can choose from all four wheels to propel itself. If all four wheels were driving at once all the time you couldn't afford to keep tires on it, or parallel park it! But we CALL it 4WD because a marketer probably coined the phrase for some ad. So sell me your 4WD also... $600.00

(Yes, I know there are computer-driven versions of this that make the explanation more complicated, but they grew into the 4WD monicker.)

8. Thank you for the education. Funny how people assume no knowledge! I've been driving and maintaining Land Rovers for 20 years, including re-building one or two diff locks.

But really, thank you for your positive contribution to this thread.:rofl:

9. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    Yup :tongue:

The real question is that is the advertising jargon intended to mislead the customers on the performance of the device to increase sales? Also, I cannot find the misleading phrases in the Olympus America site.

It's such a minor point of contention, it sounds like you're just trying for a get rich quick scheme. If this isn't true, just send Olympus a "cease and desist" request. If it really is that big of a deal, just return the camera and get your money back.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I ignored this on DPR, but since it's also posted here...

I take an exception to this idea. If you truly were harmed -- if you thought it had IBIS for every lens, and you purchased it to use native lenses, and it doesn't, then I say go for it.

If, however, you simply want this feature, then this seems disingenuous, to position yourself as having been mislead or harmed, when in actuality you are using a government agency to push pressure on a feature request.

[edit]Just read Viktor's thread on this issue.

Couldn't there be legit design reasons they don't have IBIS in video with non-chipped cameras. Such as decisions around FL for video IBIS? I find, in general, well-intentioned people/companies aren't trying to defraud people. They make design choices for reasons, even if we don't know what they are.

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The thread is not positive to begin with, so I'm not sure why the contributions have to be.

12. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve

Jeeps here, which probably means more rebuilding... HEY! How are the Discoverys from 2002-2007 or so? I see one locally and I'm considering it as a second vehicle.

<end thread hijack>

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If you don't even have one, how can you send a note to consumer affairs, using up government time, on a product you know in full knowledge doesn't have this, and you know full well you were not harmed by this alleged deceptive practice?

14. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I thought it works for still images. All the sudden it doesn't work for stills? Or is that distinction between still images & video irrelevant?

I'm asking because I'll be pissed if I get a CV25/0.95 and I don't have IBIS for stills. I personally don't care about motion pictures. However I can understand the OP's frustration.

15. That's what I hope, but still, they should have made that clear. Truly, this is a feature I was really excited about in this camera, and one of the reasons I was intending to buy one next week.
    I hope that they just weren't able to get it sorted before putting the camera to the market, they can't get everything right.
    All I'm wanting is to give them a little push....

16. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I get where you're frustration is coming from, but it's difficult to make a claim when you haven't purchased the item you're making it against. You've haven't lost or gained anything.

That being said, maybe there is a Better Business Bureau or advertising standards agency in your part(s) of the world that you could bring this complaint to. Posting on forums won't get you far unfortunately.

17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I can understand your frustration, but I'm not sure the approach will impact much. Maybe like with Canon DSLRs, add-on chipping could help solve this.

18. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Technically legacy lenses are mounted on an unofficial third party adapter that is unsupported by Olympus, which is mounted on the body - neither of which are electrically compatible. Nowhere did Olympus state that they support Legacy lenses from other manufacturers.

Now if IBIS didn't work with m43 or 43 lenses, then you'd have a case. Your complaint would just get thrown out and laughed at, its like complaining that your Android phone isn't compatible with a car's iPod connection even though you "found" an adapter that converted the dock connector to micro-USB to plug into your phone.

Also its not false advertising.
    Stop whining and either use M43 lenses or sell the E-M5 and find a body that supports IS with legacy lenses. If Olympus wanted you to use Legacy lenses on their body, they would release official legacy lens adapters not have you use $20 made in China aftermarket adapters.

19. Thanks for pointing out my error, I've corrected the first line of my OP. Don't worry, the CV 25/0.95 is stabilised for stills.....but not for video.

Cheers, Tom

• Like Like x 1
  20. The main issue was an oil pump problem, causing catastrophic engine failure in many V8's during that period. There was a technical bulletin, but it wasn't handled well. Not sure in your market, but I'd do the research very careful around that issue.

Cheers, Tom