Fallen Tree, Sandy Hook NJ

Discussion in 'Nature' started by penfan2010, May 13, 2012.

1. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    With the E-PL1 and Oy 17mm.

P5120106.

2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Nice work. I love shooting at Sandy Hook. Back during the 1970s, I took an oceanography course out near the tip of the hook that allowed me to get into sections of Fort Hancock not open to the public... and to do some film shooting of a lot of the old facilities, some of which still aren't open to the public. You might want to try a tour of some of the old Nike missile silos that are available.

• Like Like x 1
  3. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Thanks, Biro. We love going to Sandy Hook, it's only a 35 minute drive from where we live. Very interesting that you went diving in that area as part of an oceanography course. I presume you had to take precautions with ordinance in the water as well?

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The Fort was technically decommissioned in 1974 and I began my course there the following year. I actually think those courses were available there even while the base was still open. There were still some off-limits areas both on land and in the water when I was there and I even had to pass a military checkpoint that the general public couldn't pass yet. But we weren't given any other precautions. Lots of great Spanish-American War and World War I era structures and enbattlements. I was always fasincated by Fort Hancock ever since reading the 1913 book "Tom Swift and His Giant Cannon" as a kid. This was one of the original Tom Swift books before they were updated for subsequent generations. No, I'm not that old. :)

• Like Like x 1